Say something negative about the Milennium Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Re: Say something negative about the Milennium Series

Postby JAGzilla » Fri May 17, 2019 9:54 am

I felt like GXM was perfectly at home in the Millennium series considering its shared characteristics with G2K and the Kiryu duology. If anything sort of feels like an outlier for the series, it'd be GMK.

Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Mon May 20, 2019 7:41 am

I'm less upset over Godzilla being a punching bag in the Kiryu films, which he really wasn't. In fact, he's actually really tough (which is probably just more because Kiryu is absolutely pathetic).

My issue comes from the fact that he has absolutely no character or personality. He's just a plot device in those films. He doesn't feel like a character. He just seems like a generic "destroy everything" kaiju with no real motivation or character traits outside of aggression. It would have made the Kiryu films so much better if Godzilla could have had some sort of familial relationship with the original Godzilla (his "father," essentially). That way he could have been vengeful that the humans made his family into an abomination against nature, and it could have made the conflict between Godzilla and Kiryu much more emotionally investing.

I find it ironic that, out of the two, it's the robot who has all of the emotion and personality.

The Showa and Heisei eras had much better dynamics between the two, because Godzilla was the sympathetic creature.

In the Showa era, it was the heroic, almost human-like Godzilla against the malicious Mechagodzilla.
In the Heisei era, it was the destructive, but still sympathetic and emotive anti-hero Godzilla against the cold, emotionless Mechagodzilla.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

Maritonic

Postby Maritonic » Mon May 20, 2019 7:45 am

Gojirawars 03 wrote:I find it ironic that, out of the two, it's the robot who has all of the emotion and personality

I definitely disagree with this. I find Kiryu lacking any emotion and personality, and 2002 Godzilla to be quite emotionally expressive.
Resized Image

Earn Your Health.

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon May 20, 2019 9:51 am

Maritonic wrote:
Gojirawars 03 wrote:I find it ironic that, out of the two, it's the robot who has all of the emotion and personality

I definitely disagree with this. I find Kiryu lacking any emotion and personality, and 2002 Godzilla to be quite emotionally expressive.

The dialogue tells is Kiryu is thinking and feeling things, but the action on-screen doesn't really convey it to me.

I don't find that incarnation of Godzilla especially expressive, either, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon May 20, 2019 9:07 pm

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

The dialogue tells is Kiryu is thinking and feeling things, but the action on-screen doesn't really convey it to me.

I don't find that incarnation of Godzilla especially expressive, either, though.

The only moment we get an idea that Kiryu is thinking, is the somewhat effective big zoom into him where we get some memories. Kiryu in concept is cool, but he has one of the lamest utilizations of an otherwise really unique plot.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Gojirawars 03
Yin-Yang Master

Postby Gojirawars 03 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:12 am

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:

The only moment we get an idea that Kiryu is thinking, is the somewhat effective big zoom into him where we get some memories. Kiryu in concept is cool, but he has one of the lamest utilizations of an otherwise really unique plot.

True. I find that Kiryu isn't really super emotional. But considering that this Godzilla is as blank as copy paper, anything would be considered more emotional than him.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9RqfL3pOgHr78nzbs-FQ

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”