Say something negative about the Milennium Series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Re: Say something negative about the Milennium Series

Post by darthzilla99 »

Godzilla 2000: mixed effects with the cgi and green screening.
Godzilla x megaguirus: worse effects than Godzilla 2000 and has the dumbest plot device in the series (firing a black hole on Godzilla?)
GMK: Deus ex machina power for Godzilla when he kills Ghidorah, Yuri is irratating, and Tachibana is overrated and is just as bland and one dimensional as the average Heisei character.
Godzilla against Mechagodzilla: Godzilla is stiff effects wise and some of the cgi did not age well.
Godzilla tokyo sos: bland and plays it too safe.
Godzilla final wars: bad effects for the budget given. Otherwise, a fun crazy movie.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Lack of continuity is the biggest one for me. While I applaud the desire for freedom and more creative story telling, each movie felt inconsequential to the last which coming off the Heisei Series always felt quite jarring to me. The constant reset buttons got really annoying.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Long story short, the only two films I like are GMK (because it's legitimately fantastic) and Final Wars (because it's such batshit insane fun that I can't help but adore it).

The Kiryu films are the biggest wasted potential in the entire Godzilla series, right up there with the scrapped 1994 American film and the entire premise of the Anime Trilogy.

Imagine Godzilla fighting what is basically his dad, who's been reanimated, trapped in a metal monstrosity, and forced to fight his own kid against his will by the same vermin who created and then killed him originally. Imagine how emotionally impactful that could've been. Imagine all of the ways they could have gone with that premise to make it amazing.

Instead, we get a generic anime protagonist feeling sad because she did something stupid a few years ago while two boring monsters with no emotion or character of any kind battle for basically no other reason than because the script demanded that it be so. Mothra, some of the effects, and the music were the only saving grace of that duology, I swear to god.

Oh yeah, 2000 is bland and full of shitty effects, while x Megaguirus is some of the worst slop the franchise ever produced.

Edit: And they should never have done the anthology story thing. When only two out of the six attempts are even enjoyable, and only one of them is legitimately good, I don't think it was worth it. Just pick the story of Destoroyah back up and follow a grown-up Junior through a new journey. Plus, that way, you can try new things and still have the backbone of the Heisei series story to fall back on and use as reference.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Thu Dec 31, 2020 12:15 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

All the supplementary connections to the Kiryu Saga are pointless barring Mothra and War of the Gargantuas, and it's kind of annoying in retrospect.

Although, having heard of a supposed canceled 3rd film in the saga that would've featured various Mecha-kaiju (if someone can confirm or deny this rumor, please feel free to), maybe it's better left the way it was... or maybe I'm just too much of a sucker for Godzilla: Final Wars.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

EvaGhidorah01 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:16 am All the supplementary connections to the Kiryu Saga are pointless barring Mothra and War of the Gargantuas, and it's kind of annoying in retrospect.

Although, having heard of a supposed canceled 3rd film in the saga that would've featured various Mecha-kaiju (if someone can confirm or deny this rumor, please feel free to), maybe it's better left the way it was... or maybe I'm just too much of a sucker for Godzilla: Final Wars.
As a fan of the Kiryu Saga, I do somewhat agree with you that many of the Showa films being canon is unnecessary, but at the same time, it does make Japan's history of monster attacks in this continuity a big deal that the people, military and government have to deal with while also making some neat world-building.

As for the supposed "3rd film", the idea of there being an army of mechs based on monsters was just a "What If..." scenario that was, for whatever reason, made up and put in a Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. book that was only released in Japan. It wasn't actually going to be made into a film (although I wish it was).
Last edited by CrimsonBloodX on Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:49 pm As for the supposed "3rd film", the idea of there being an army of mechs based on monsters was just a "What If..." scenario that was, for whatever reason, made up and put in a Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S. book that was only released in Japan. It wasn't actually going to be made into a film (although I wish it was).
Ah ok. I've been wondering about the source and legitimacy of the claim before. Thank you for the explanation
Last edited by EvaGhidorah01 on Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

The fact that Godzilla 2000 didn't get a sequel.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

King_Kaiju_threads
Young Farmer

Post by King_Kaiju_threads »

Ok I got a good one.

There wasnt enough films.
Last edited by King_Kaiju_threads on Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

King_Kaiju_threads wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm Ok I got a good one.

You.

I like you.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla got beat up too much.

Also, there's a way to change your username color?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:02 pm Godzilla got beat up too much.

They're probation members. All the new users get one.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:06 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 2:02 pm Godzilla got beat up too much.

They're probation members. All the new users get one.
Ahhhh gotcha, forgot they implemented that.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

King_Kaiju_threads
Young Farmer

Post by King_Kaiju_threads »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun Jan 17, 2021 1:56 pm
King_Kaiju_threads wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:32 pm Ok I got a good one.

You.

I like you.

Thanks I’ve been here since KOTM was announced but I just started posting yesterday! #finalgojiiscatgoji