Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Gamera (2002)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SoggyNoodles2016

Re: Lost Project Discussion - Godzilla vs. Gamera (2002)

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:And now all we here is was that Gamera in the kotm trailer.
:shock: Say what? Where?
He's not. Mothra shows up with a turtlely head so some people think it's Gamera.

RIP Evan.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:He's not. Mothra shows up with a turtlely head so some people think it's Gamera.
I thought so. That head hardly looked tortoise-esque to me, definitely more caterpillar-like.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

I can't believe that Toho, rejected the ofert of Kadokawa to make a Godzilla vs. Gamera film! It's a mist opportunnity.

Added in 10 months 9 days 11 hours 1 minute 45 seconds:
I believe that this film could have been as good as entertaining. I will say that Shusuke Kaneko would have been a good director, because he did a great performance in GMK. That Kadokawa would have co-produced the film would have been great. That they let Gamera win, I think Toho denied it because Godzilla almost always beat his opponents. I wonder why Kadokawa did not ask Toho if the battle ended in a draw. Well, this would have been a great movie.
Last edited by Godzilla2004fan on Sun Sep 09, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Yeah just gonna be honest..i don't care if this film gets made anymore. It feels too little too late. Gamera's not at the peak of popularity anymore, Godzilla doesn't need a crossover to even survive as a franchise, what's the point?

I'm sure this film would have been nice (especially if Kaneko was involved) but considering we know nothing else about it except "Kadokawa wanted it and Toho said no" i can't say much else.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tyrantgoji wrote:what's the point?
To see two icons of Japanese genre cinema meet on screen? :eh:
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Terasawa wrote:
I meant what's the point for the studios to do it? Toho clearly has no interest in Gamera, and i doubt Kadokawa wants to go back and ask again after being turned away like last time.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
I meant what's the point for the studios to do it? Toho clearly has no interest in Gamera, and i doubt Kadokawa wants to go back and ask again after being turned away like last time.
Ah, my mistake. I can't speak for the studios of course but I'd guess Kadokawa might have interest simply because it almost guarantees more financial success than another typical Gamera film would. Toho, however, has no reason to bother, you're right.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Well if it means anything, the director of the Gamera trilogy and GMK isn’t opposed to it happening as of November 2019. There’s people that want it to happen.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

wait when did he say that?
He Jock it Made of Steel

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Jetty_Jags wrote:wait when did he say that?
In a Japanese panel during Godzilla's B-day. More specifically, he either wanted to revisit his Godzilla vs. Kamacuras idea (he really seems to enjoy bringing that up), or Godzilla fighting Gamera where "a justice Gamera dies to an evil Godzilla."
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Okay I never got why Toho didn't want to do a Godzilla vs. Gamera film. That would have drawn in more money than a bunch of the films and Toho was already okay with Godzilla losing to King Kong so I don't see it or least can't imagine why it'd be an ego thing.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote:Okay I never got why Toho didn't want to do a Godzilla vs. Gamera film. That would have drawn in more money than a bunch of the films and Toho was already okay with Godzilla losing to King Kong so I don't see it or least can't imagine why it'd be an ego thing.
I feel like they were okay to Godzilla loosing to Kong because at least Kong wasn't a ripoff of Godzilla. :lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:wait when did he say that?
In a Japanese panel during Godzilla's B-day. More specifically, he either wanted to revisit his Godzilla vs. Kamacuras idea (he really seems to enjoy bringing that up), or Godzilla fighting Gamera where "a justice Gamera dies to an evil Godzilla."

Gamera hasn't had a film in years, while Godzilla is still going like the Energizer bunny. Gamera needs Godzilla more than the reverse, so I don't see this happening. It's a pity, though. I'd watch a movie like that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

RIP to a great crossover idea that actually makes sense unlike another I won't mention. This of course wasn't the only time in history having Gamera and Godzilla in the same movie and reminds me of Bagan in that regard. A cool idea that got screwed time and time again until it was finally laid to rest for good.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

GigaBowserG wrote:In a Japanese panel during Godzilla's B-day. More specifically, he either wanted to revisit his Godzilla vs. Kamacuras idea (he really seems to enjoy bringing that up), or Godzilla fighting Gamera where "a justice Gamera dies to an evil Godzilla."
This is honestly really interesting and I wonder how it would have played out. Would it be a full-on downer ending where Gamera dies and an unopposed Godzilla destroys Japan? Would Gamera have to sacrifice himself to stop Godzilla ala the opening of Gamera the Brave? Or maybe if it would be sort of like GMK, with Gamera dying but weakening Godzilla enough beforehand that the JSDF is able to finish the job?
tyrantgoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:Okay I never got why Toho didn't want to do a Godzilla vs. Gamera film. That would have drawn in more money than a bunch of the films and Toho was already okay with Godzilla losing to King Kong so I don't see it or least can't imagine why it'd be an ego thing.
I feel like they were okay to Godzilla loosing to Kong because at least Kong wasn't a ripoff of Godzilla. :lol:
Honda and Tsuburaya were both big Kong fans and didn't want to disrespect one of their favorite films by having their OC win
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Plus Godzilla didn't really start winning in his movies in the early Showa flicks till he became the lesser of two evils.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Kaneko's been wanting to make Godzilla vs. Gamera for ages. I remember an interview back from 2005-06 where he said a similar thing, something like "Gamera is a good guy, but I like Godzilla more because he is evil, so he would win in my movie" (of course I'm paraphrasing, but it was along those lines).

I wouldn't trust that project to anyone but him, but since he's retired I'd love to see what Hideaki Anno could make of that film. Particularly because of the influence the Heisei Gamera Trilogy had on his work.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destorogoji wrote:Kaneko's been wanting to make Godzilla vs. Gamera for ages. I remember an interview back from 2005-06 where he said a similar thing, something like "Gamera is a good guy, but I like Godzilla more because he is evil, so he would win in my movie" (of course I'm paraphrasing, but it was along those lines).

I wouldn't trust that project to anyone but him, but since he's retired I'd love to see what Hideaki Anno could make of that film. Particularly because of the influence the Heisei Gamera Trilogy had on his work.
Kaneko would probably come out of retirement for Godzilla vs Gamera.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Too bad Toho will never make it.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.