Was Orga necessary for Godzilla 2000?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Was Orga necessary

Yes
84%
No
16%

Total votes: 50

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Was Orga necessary for Godzilla 2000?

Post by Godzillian »

So Orga drops into Godzilla 2000 in the last 20 min or so. While it was an interesting battle, was Orga necessary in the film? I think if Toho went all in, and had Godzilla battle the UFO it would've been more interesting. What do you guys think?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Was Orga necessary for Godzilla 2000?

Post by GigaBowserG »

Was he absolutely necessary? Nah, I don't think so. The movie could've just been the conflict between Godzilla and the UFO and still done well, I think. But I'm still glad we got Orga out of it. Wouldn't remove him even if there was the opportunity to.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think he made the battle far more satisfying than a clash between Godzilla and a non-emoting piece of machinery would have been. I don't think Godzilla vs. the UFO would've had much versatility in it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Post by The Baranosdragon »

Was it necessary? Most likely not. Reebots never had any other monsters besides Godzilla.

Was he a cool addition? Very much so. The final match between him and Godzilla was among my favorites of the entire series.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm in the minority but I liked that they included Orga. He's IMO a really underrated and unique Godzilla foe considering his powers and that if left unchecked could become one of Godzilla's most powerful foes since he could become some ultimate Chimera a hybrid of multiple kaijus he absorbed. He's basically the Cell or Majin Buu of Godzilla if one gets my drift.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I don't think the film's plot revolving around Organizer G-1 works without Orga emerging. The Millennian aliens' motivation lacks impact unless they succeed in integrating Godzilla's DNA. Shinoda and Miyasaka waxing philosophical about the potential of G-1 becomes irrelevant unless we see first hand just what it's capable of. The story loses momentum without Orga, all the build up goes to waste.
Last edited by Ivo-goji on Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Ivo-goji wrote:I don't think the film's plot revolving around Organizer G-1 works without Orga emerging. The Millennian aliens' motivation lacks impact unless they succeed in integrating Godzilla's DNA. Shinoda and Miyasaka waxing philosophical about the potential of G-1 becomes irrelevant unless we see first hand just what it's capable of. The story loses momentum without Orga, all the build up goes to waste.
Exactly what I was thinking. "Godzilla fights a spaceship while scientists watch" is not a very complete story.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ivo-goji wrote:I don't think the film's plot revolving around Organizer G-1 works without Orga emerging. The Millennian aliens' motivation lacks impact unless they succeed in integrating Godzilla's DNA. Shinoda and Miyasaka waxing philosophical about the potential of G-1 becomes irrelevant unless we see first hand just what it's capable of. The story loses momentum without Orga, all the build up goes to waste.
Yup, this pretty much sums it up. Orga was absolutely necessary.

Now, if the question was did we need a film that was Godzilla vs. -insert kaiju name here- as opposed to a standalone film, that would be one thing. But in the context of the plot of Godzilla 2000, yes, Orga was definitely required.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The plot details from RG1 to the scene with the pin box all indicate the ufo was trying to create a form that could function on Earth. In that case, Orga was essential to this plot angle. Besides, it gave us a monster fight, which is something people expect from a Godzilla movie.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Not necessarily. But he was cool.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

Absolutely. The Millenian’s efforts to become Orga are the driving force behind the plot.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Of course Orga was necesary, he gave a lot of cohesion to the film, showing us some actual use of Organizer G-1 and a pretty interesting battle.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Kenpachiro Hirata
Samurai

Post by Kenpachiro Hirata »

Orga is Millennian mutated. It is essential to the plot and the theme. Plus it's part of the unique and cool take on silly "aliens use giant monster to defeat Godzilla and take over the world" Showa trope. Pretty much why I love this film.
"It started when man first stepped out of the garden of Eden and left his innocence behind."

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Not necessary, but it certainly helped. In the end, Godzilla is the MOST fun when he's fighting a powerful enemy. Tanks, planes, helicopters, ships, and missiles only go so far...

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Yes because he was a surprise, none of the ADs even hinted that Godzilla was gonna fight another monster, so it was like a surprise monster in what seemed to be a Godzilla stand alone movie. Bonus points for the fact a lot of us see him for the first time watching the movie in theaters again because the ADs did a good job of not showing or even hinting at him.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Agreeing with everyone else, especially in regards to his importance to the story.

Not to mention, Orga's one of the most creative and unique monsters in the franchise. I'm glad he was included.
Living Corpse wrote:Yes because he was a surprise, none of the ADs even hinted that Godzilla was gonna fight another monster, so it was like a surprise monster in what seemed to be a Godzilla stand alone movie. Bonus points for the fact a lot of us see him for the first time watching the movie in theaters again because the ADs did a good job of not showing or even hinting at him.
Not sure if this counts, but the theater program had photos of Orga in it. Also, there were a couple toys put out before the film, I think.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

When Godzilla is fighting the UFO, he's fighting Orga. I honestly think him and the UFO are probably the most creative point in the millennium era. The fights between Godzilla, the UFO and Orga are some of the most interesting I've ever seen with the UFO using some really strange moves.

Orga also ties until Godzilla being special, beyond Godzilla vs Biollante. Half the film is actually the first explanation of Godzilla's regenerative abilities, so explicitly, and it's awesome for a monster to steal that.
It's probably one of the most "realistic" aliens of of the franchise, I mean by that you can tell it's super intelligent but it's so strange.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:When Godzilla is fighting the UFO, he's fighting Orga. I honestly think him and the UFO are probably the most creative point in the millennium era.
I could not agree with this statement more, and I never realized this. He absolutely is the most creative point of the millennium era (only exception may possibly be the spirituality aspect of GMK but I'm probably biased as that's my personal favorite film).

Granted, this isn't really saying much as most of the Millennium era is just a rehash of old films, but this film actually doesn't get enough credit for it's execution of Orga and the UFO.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

The UFO had Godzilla on the ropes for far too long because it had literally hacked the entire city it was fighting in. They needed a way to bring the fight to Godzilla's level, but I think they could've done it sooner than they actually did. They could've had Orga come forth when the UFO was absorbing sunlight, then had Orga hunt down/draw in Godzilla for the final fight to occur.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

Relair
Monsterland Worker

Post by Relair »

He seemed like an afterthought, but he was a really cool afterthought. And I think its just a better movie if Godzilla has something to fight. The original, Shin and G98 are the only ones without a major foe, right? (Super X counts!)