My version of the Kiryu series

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: My version of the Kiryu Saga

Post by mikelcho »

Okay, I've added two of them (I hope that I got the chronological years for both of them right).

However, I consider the Kiryu Saga and the Pokemon universe to be two separate things entirely, even though they're made by the same studio; therefore, they won't be combined.

As for the Toho World War II films, I don't know how many of them that Toho made, or which ones would fit in here, if any (can anyone please list them all for me?). I'd say that the war happened mostly as it actually occurred in real life (but adding in the opening scenes of Frankenstein vs. Baragon, of course).
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:39 pm, edited 7 times in total.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

mikelcho wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Remember reading this before I joined the fourms. Nice to see it again.

If I can make a suggestion, I'd change The Three Treasures and The Phoneix to put them before Gojira. They came out in 1959 and 1978 but take place in Medieval Japan, so putting them in the modern age is kind of weird.
You know, I never thought of doing a chronological version of the list. That's a good idea. I did the films in order of release, not occurrence. So, here it is:

Medieval Japan (order after the first film approximate)
*The Three Treasures
*The Phoenix
*Madame White Snake
*Throne of Blood
*House

*the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima (see opening scenes of Frankenstein vs. Baragon)

*Godzilla (Japanese first version)
*The Invisible Avenger

*Half Human

*Rodan

*The Mysterians

*The H-Man
*Varan

*The Secret of the Telegian
*The Human Vapor
*Frankenstein vs. Baragon

*Mothra
*The Last War (probably an alternate future)

*Matango
*Atragon

*Dogora

*Battle in Outer Space

*The War of the Gargantuas

*King Kong Escapes

*Imaginary Paradise

*Latitude Zero
*Konto 55: Grand Outer Space Adventure

*The Vampire Doll
*Space Amoeba

*Lake of Dracula

*Submersion of Japan (probably could be considered a worst-case scenario at best)

*Evil of Dracula

*Pink Lady's Great Motion Picture
*Blue Christmas

1979-1980
*Gorath

*the unchronicled first appearance of Kamoebas II on Guam (see Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.)

*The War in Space

1998-2000
*Godzilla (American second version)
*Godzilla: The Series (40 episodes)

*Prophesies of Nostradamus (again, probably an alternate future)

1999/2003/2004
*Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
*Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

2003-2006
*The Gransazers (51 episodes) / The Gransazers: Super Battle Memory
*The Justirisers (51 episodes) / The Justirisers: Super Battle Memory
*Super Fleet Sazer-X (38 episodes) / Super Fleet Sazer-X The Movie: Fight! Soldiers.

If there's any corrections needed for the years of occurrence, please let me know.
The 1970's House, that takes place in the 1970s, is Medieval Japan?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

LamangoKaijura wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Remember reading this before I joined the fourms. Nice to see it again.

If I can make a suggestion, I'd change The Three Treasures and The Phoneix to put them before Gojira. They came out in 1959 and 1978 but take place in Medieval Japan, so putting them in the modern age is kind of weird.
You know, I never thought of doing a chronological version of the list. That's a good idea. I did the films in order of release, not occurrence. So, here it is:

Medieval Japan (order after the first film approximate)
*The Three Treasures
*The Phoenix
*Madame White Snake
*Throne of Blood
*House

*the dropping of the atomic bomb on Hiroshima (see opening scenes of Frankenstein vs. Baragon)

*Godzilla (Japanese first version)
*The Invisible Avenger

*Half Human

*Rodan

*The Mysterians

*The H-Man
*Varan

*The Secret of the Telegian
*The Human Vapor
*Frankenstein vs. Baragon

*Mothra
*The Last War (probably an alternate future)

*Matango
*Atragon

*Dogora

*Battle in Outer Space

*The War of the Gargantuas

*King Kong Escapes

*Imaginary Paradise

*Latitude Zero
*Konto 55: Grand Outer Space Adventure

*The Vampire Doll
*Space Amoeba

*Lake of Dracula

*Submersion of Japan (probably could be considered a worst-case scenario at best)

*Evil of Dracula

*Pink Lady's Great Motion Picture
*Blue Christmas

1979-1980
*Gorath

*the unchronicled first appearance of Kamoebas II on Guam (see Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.)

*The War in Space

1998-2000
*Godzilla (American second version)
*Godzilla: The Series (40 episodes)

*Prophesies of Nostradamus (again, probably an alternate future)

1999/2003/2004
*Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
*Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.

2003-2006
*The Gransazers (51 episodes) / The Gransazers: Super Battle Memory
*The Justirisers (51 episodes) / The Justirisers: Super Battle Memory
*Super Fleet Sazer-X (38 episodes) / Super Fleet Sazer-X The Movie: Fight! Soldiers.

If there's any corrections needed for the years of occurrence, please let me know.
The 1970's House, that takes place in the 1970s, is Medieval Japan?
Thanks; I had no idea that House took place in the 1970s, having never watched the film myself.

Do you have a idea on when it took place so that I can fix it? My guess now would be 1977, the year that the film was released, but I'm not sure. However, I'll put that in in the hopes that it's right.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Jul 21, 2019 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Where's The Man Who Stole the Sun??? Not quite Toku, but certainly absurdist, and a nuke destroying Tokyo would hardly be anything in this universe. Ultraman Leo is also seen on TV early on, though I guess by that logic, Midnight Cowboy is canon too.
mikelcho wrote:I had no idea that House took place in the 1970s, having never watched the film myself.

Do you have a idea on when it took place so that I can fix it? My guess now would be 1977, the year that the film was released, but I'm not sure. However, I'll put that in in the hopes that it's right.
You should see it. That way you'd know that something like that, along with so many other of these titles can't fit into this "Kiryu Saga" (The world ends in The Last War, Japan sinks in Submersion of Japan and Blue Christmas is in part about the government covering up the existence of aliens, which would be a little odd in a world constantly ravaged by them). I think if you haven't seen a certain movie, don't include it, unless publications have already placed it within the "Kiryu Saga".
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Jul 21, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Thank you :lol:
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Yutaka Sada plays a cab driver in The H-Man. Maybe that same character eventually got a job as the chauffeur (also played by Sada) from High and Low?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote:Where's The Man Who Stole the Sun??? Not quite Toku, but certainly absurdist, and a nuke destroying Tokyo would hardly be anything in this universe. Ultraman Leo is also seen on TV early on, though I guess by that logic, Midnight Cowboy is canon too.
mikelcho wrote:I had no idea that House took place in the 1970s, having never watched the film myself.

You should see it. That way you'd know that something like that, along with so many other of these titles can't fit into this "Kiryu Saga" (The world ends in The Last War, Japan sinks in Submersion of Japan and Blue Christmas is in part about the government covering up the existence of aliens, which would be a little odd in a world constantly ravaged by them). I think if you haven't seen a certain movie, don't include it, unless publications have already placed it within the "Kiryu Saga".
Thanks very much for your advice. It's most appreciated, believe me.

If you look at both lists on p. 1 and p. 2, a little "cleaning up" has been done based on what you said.

However, since most, if not all, of the films that were removed were your suggestions...well, now I've figured out that you were just kidding, and I think that that was pretty funny, the way that I see it. You really did it very well. You fooled me completely, I have to admit. Until your newest post came in, I had no way of suspecting anything. But again, I have to admit that it was good.

I think, however, from what you said was in the film that you mentioned above, that it would probably fit more in the Ultra Series than it would in the Kiryu Saga (due to the Ultraman Leo scene), despite the fact that the Ultra Series and The Man Who Stole the Sun are from two separate studios (namely, Tsuburaya Productions and Kitty Films).

The Ultra Series, of course, in relation to the Kiryu Saga, would be just like the Pokemon universe that I previously mentioned in an earlier post - they're totally separate from each other and, therefore, they can't be combined.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri May 29, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 11 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Nothing's been added to in this thread, so I guess it's safe to presume that that's all there is to be said.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

mikelcho wrote:Nothing's been added to in this thread, so I guess it's safe to presume that that's all there is to be said.
OR IS IT?!?!?!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:
mikelcho wrote:Nothing's been added to in this thread, so I guess it's safe to presume that that's all there is to be said.
OR IS IT?!?!?!
Ah! Good one! I like that!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I'm really curious to see how Godzilla the Series fits into this. Why doesn't Zilla Jr come to Japan to fight Godzilla then?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

tyrantgoji wrote:I'm really curious to see how Godzilla the Series fits into this. Why doesn't Zilla Jr come to Japan to fight Godzilla then?
SonOfGorgo requested that the 1998 film be put in and it was, then I put in the TV series because in this storyline, this would be the official sequel to the film and not Godzilla: Final Wars, as that one is in a different storyline.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat May 30, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

mikelcho wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:I'm really curious to see how Godzilla the Series fits into this. Why doesn't Zilla Jr come to Japan to fight Godzilla then?
Someone requested that the 1998 film and the TV series be put in and it was, because in this storyline, this would be the official sequel to the film and not Godzilla: Final Wars, as that one is in a different storyline.
Final Wars wasn't a sequel to 98. Actually i don't think Final Wars was a sequel to any movie.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

tyrantgoji wrote:
mikelcho wrote:
Someone requested that the 1998 film and the TV series be put in and it was, because in this storyline, this would be the official sequel to the film and not Godzilla: Final Wars, as that one is in a different storyline.
Final Wars wasn't a sequel to 98. Actually i don't think Final Wars was a sequel to any movie.
I thought it was because I thought that Zilla was, or just may have been, the surviving Baby Godzilla from the 1998 film, now an adult.

At least that's I thought he was when I first saw the film, because otherwise, where did he come from?
Last edited by mikelcho on Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Same place every other monster in that movie came from: out of literally nowhere for fanservice.

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Same place every other monster in that movie came from: out of literally nowhere for fanservice.
But was anyone a fan of Zilla at the time though? :lol:

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Same place every other monster in that movie came from: out of literally nowhere for fanservice.
No but seeing him get his shit kicked in by real Godzilla is and they can't do that without foreshadowing him beforehand

RIP Evan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
No but seeing him get his poop kicked in by real Godzilla is and they can't do that without foreshadowing him beforehand
You got it. I was hoping you'd get it. I was hoping someone here would get it.

The way I see it, there are three different storylines involving Godzilla (1998): one involving Godzilla: The Series, one involving GMK and one involving Final Wars. The one that I've put into the Kiryu Saga myself is the first one, mainly because it fits the perimeters I've set for my inclusions to the Saga (see the original post).
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu Aug 20, 2020 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:44 pm One question about the three Japanese tokusatsu TV series at the end of this list - The Gransazers, The Justirisers and Super Fleet Sazer-X.

Are any or all of them available in the U.S. in Japanese subtitled version/American dubbed version combinations, have they ever been, or are they ever going to be?
Can anyone please answer this question here? I'd really like to know so I can buy these three series when the time is right and when they're released here - if they're released here, that is.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

At least one of those shows was dubbed (not in America) but none have ever been released on video here in any form. I wouldn't expect them, either.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.