The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

What is your opinion of the Godzilla: Final Wars movie.

Great Movie! Love it, Very Entertaining
26%
Like it. Decent Movie, has its flaws but still watchable
46%
Neither Good nor Bad
6%
Dislike it. Bad movie
17%
Terrible movie, Hate it, unwatchable
6%

Total votes: 125

goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: The Godzilla: Final Wars Poll

Postby goji89 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:23 pm

:eh: When were you ever hinged?....
https://kaijugalaxy.jcink.net/index.php?act=idx

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote: Tsuburaya's sloppy puppets and bad Kong suits.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Thu Jan 31, 2019 6:24 pm

goji89 wrote::eh: When were you ever hinged?....

That's a very valid point.

:|
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

latinothor
Samurai

Postby latinothor » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:49 pm

szmigiel wrote:I think if this poll was reversed, the people who hate the film would be pointing to the top of the thread and saying, see people think it sucks.

As for the fights, I enjoyed the more samurai style, all it takes it is to land one clean blow and the fight is finished. I personally got tired of the Heisei, Godzilla is superpowerful yet the underdog at the same time, lets see each monster "kick out" of their opponents finisher over and over.

I can understand fans wanting longer battles (Trust me, I'd like to think that I do too), but the way I see it it's that the number of monsters are only making a cameo, and are not the main plot of the movie. At the same time, I don't know how I would feel for the fights taking longer time that they did in the movie. Maybe it would feel like an overload, I don't know, but I think I lean towards 'the more the merrier' side.
Personally, I don't think the fights truly ended as quickly. I assume that probably some of those fights actually took hours, but we are only shown the endings, for obvious reasons.
Regardless, I am just EXTREMELY glad that we got to see old monsters, even for a short time, rather than not.

I also appreciate that Kitamura made it possible for Zilla to make an appearance, otherwise we would probably still have discussions over who would win in a fight.

GodzillaRangerPrime
G-Grasper

Postby GodzillaRangerPrime » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:43 pm

It wasn’t a fitting 50th anniversary film that was intended to be the last Godzilla film, that’s for sure
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.

I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.

That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:16 am

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:It wasn’t a fitting 50th anniversary film that was intended to be the last Godzilla film, that’s for sure

Couldn't agree more, tbh I think this is the biggest failure in the franchise

The Baranosdragon
Samurai

Postby The Baranosdragon » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:19 pm

I am... rather split on Final Wars, to be quite honest.

On one hand, as an anniversary film, it is terribly inappropriate in many ways. In spite of common perceptions, Godzilla was starting to evolve past his more... quirky days, and started to become a "legitimate" series of films, so to speak. In other words, it does not represent what Godzilla typically stood for; instead, Final Wars is a zany and chaotic action film. Due to this, I completely understand why Final Wars is very contested among Godzilla fans.

... On the other hand, Final Wars is such an utterly insane film that I can't help but adore it. In spite of how strange and poorly conceived the plot was, it is at no point boring. If anything, it is a touch overwhelming. Final Wars is a fine example of a "popcorn and beer" film; not necessarily good, but certainly entertaining under the right circumstances.

While it is not a proper send-off for the Godzilla franchise, I see it as the end of an age for Godzilla (and perhaps even kaiju in general) as a whole. Ever since Final Wars, general perception of kaiju has shifted from outright mockery to legitimate investment, thanks to films such as Godzilla (2014) and its upcoming sequels. Sure, monster films are by no stretch of the imagination high-class entertainment, but they have evolved past the so-bad-its-good and cult classic days. Not to mention, this is among the final major uses of rubber suits to portray monsters, so it can also be perceived as a send-off to them as well.

In summary, I see Final Wars as a teenager's final year of trick-or-treating; one final indulgence into costumes and sweets before moving on to bigger and better things. The Monsterverse, Shin Godzilla, and the Godzilla Anime Trilogy have all went against common Godzilla conventions in their own ways, and it appears that this trend will continue in the coming years. In that sense, Final Wars is a comfort movie for me, if admittedly for the wrong reasons. To be completely fair, however, I have the benefit of hindsight, as I had only gotten into the franchise after the Millennium Era came to a close, so I imagine perceptions of this film were far worse back then.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Tohosaurus » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:35 pm

It's been interesting to see how opinions shift over time. At least on TK, GFW used to be universally despised at the beginning of the decade and people were appalled if you ever spoke highly of it.

GFW has plenty of flaws, but at least as many unique or good elements, even if it hasn't ended up a good movie in the end.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”