How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
User avatar
Choju720
Ronin
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:04 pm

How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Choju720 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi, I just wanted to you peoples thoughts on this (or really: hoe many people don't hate it)

and if you do dislike it I go a question: How you YOU of made Zilla?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer
Posts: 9348
Joined: Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:57 am
Location: The Planet Trade HQ
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:31 pm

I have absolutely nothing against Gino. I think the design looks really cool from certain angles. In fact I prefer it to G14, the movie not the design. In fact I think the seething hatred for it is pretty laughable really.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983
Image

BooLugosi
G-Grasper
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby BooLugosi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:07 pm

I don't really consider her an actual incarnation of Gojira but I feel apathetic towards this character and I think the constant fighting over the movie is pointless. People have already made up their minds at this point and it's not like this is an important movie or character anyway.

Added in 4 minutes 19 seconds:
As to how I'd make the character, I'd make the design look more like Gojira and give it atomic breath. I think this design could actually be good if modified a bit. I actually like the egg laying thing and think it could have been a cool concept if executed properly. I also would have made the movie actually have good writing and make it have some meaning behind it. It would obviously be darker if I made it too.

User avatar
GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President
Posts: 4732
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:25 am

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby GigaBowserG » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:32 pm

Godzilla 1998's still the worst looking incarnation of Godzilla... and just worst one in general to me. However, I have no problem with anyone who prefers it, or its movie; some fans who love the movie are some of the most level-headed people I've met. They actually gave me a totally different perspective on the monster, and I'm greatly appreciative for it.

Zilla, on the other hand, I actually like quite a lot. Poor dude will forever(?) be associated with the 1998 incarnation despite being his own separate thing. Would not be opposed to him showing up in future media, like how he did in the semi-recent IDW comics.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada

/crawls back under rock

BooLugosi
G-Grasper
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby BooLugosi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:55 pm

I have a question to the people who view Zilla as a completely different character from G98. Would you consider "Gigantis" a separate monster from Gojira by that logic? I'm curious about that.

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14018
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:38 pm

BooLugosi wrote:I have a question to the people who view Zilla as a completely different character from G98. Would you consider "Gigantis" a separate monster from Gojira by that logic? I'm curious about that.


No.

Gigantis is referred to as Godzilla in the original Japanese version of GRA. Since Gigantis was originally intended to be a separate character in America, it would only count if the "Gigantis the Fire Monster" title was still being used by Toho. However, the character was retconned into being Godzilla when Toho started using the "Godzilla Raids Again" international title.

Godzilla 1998 is an incarnation and design of the character. It was never retconned into Zilla. Zilla himself is an entirely separate character who is based on the 1998 design.

Basically, G98 and Zilla are still active (trademark-wise and character-wise) while the Gigantis name is dead.
Image

User avatar
GodzillaBurgh
Interpol Agent
Posts: 637
Joined: Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:28 pm
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby GodzillaBurgh » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:42 pm

Zilla is like Yamcha from Dragon Ball. He's the type that people would say, "Why the Hell is HE here!?!" Not to mention he's a bigger sellout than Big G. At least Godzilla 1985's Dr. Pepper product placement didn't make people crap their pants from Seven layer burritos.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Image

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5431
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:13 pm

The only thing that really bothers me is the egg laying thing. Still, the one billion arguments and hate NEEDS to be over. This is a new era of Godzilla, so lets put this film and character aside and quit hating and look into the future.

I view it as part of the Godzilla family, technically Godzilla and technically not.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer
Posts: 9529
Joined: Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:11 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:34 pm

As Godzilla he's bad, but as his own monster, he's pretty cool and I really like him especially when there's potential movies where he could be infamously be known for being mistaken for Godzilla and all that like that GMK reference to the 1998 film. As unlikely as Zilla would be for the MonsterVerse, that'd be something I'd like to see in it with a film that Zilla is mistaken for Godzilla and becomes infamous for it and then people realizes they're wrong when he and Godzilla meets.

BooLugosi
G-Grasper
Posts: 1047
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby BooLugosi » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:38 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
BooLugosi wrote:I have a question to the people who view Zilla as a completely different character from G98. Would you consider "Gigantis" a separate monster from Gojira by that logic? I'm curious about that.


No.

Gigantis is referred to as Godzilla in the original Japanese version of GRA. Since Gigantis was originally intended to be a separate character in America, it would only count if the "Gigantis the Fire Monster" title was still being used by Toho. However, the character was retconned into being Godzilla when Toho started using the "Godzilla Raids Again" international title.

Godzilla 1998 is an incarnation and design of the character. It was never retconned into Zilla. Zilla himself is an entirely separate character who is based on the 1998 design.

Basically, G98 and Zilla are still active (trademark-wise and character-wise) while the Gigantis name is dead.

I still fail to see how these are completely different characters but okay. :| I don't think it would be productive to debate on it.

User avatar
Komenja
Interpol Agent
Posts: 415
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:22 pm

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Komenja » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:32 pm

I've never been big on G'98/Zilla. Cool design and neat abilities, but I'm just kinda indifferent since I don't like his film. I love Zilla Jr, though!
I was just thinking that the only thing missing right about now was a giant crocodile...
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Kwaidan
Posts: 5503
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:25 pm

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby edgaguirus » Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:08 pm

How do I view Zilla?

With my eyes.


Seriously though, the monster's design isn't bad. It doesn't make me think of Godzilla, but it's an effective design. What I don't care for is that it didn't act like Godzilla. Godzilla Jr. did a much better job acting like Godzilla.
Kaiju are just like people- giant, radioactive people.

Megalon went into a bar and saw Gigan. Megalon said, " Again? I thought you gave this up."
" What can I say," Gigan asked. " I'm hooked."

User avatar
Destorogoji
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:40 pm
Location: Toluca, Mexico

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Destorogoji » Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:44 pm

I don't like Zilla, although she haves a cool concepts, nothing really made me see her as an interesting monster, except the design.
Still, Zilla Jr. was a total badass!
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 14018
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:53 am

BooLugosi wrote:I still fail to see how these are completely different characters but okay. :|


It's really not too hard to understand.

Look on the back of the Final Wars DVD. Zilla is copyrighted as Zilla, right? And on the back of Godzilla 1998, the copyright is Godzilla. So those two are legally separate characters. In-universe? Anyone's guess.

Now, on the back of the Godzilla Raids Again DVD, there isn't a copyright for Gigantis, but one for Godzilla. Gigantis and Godzilla are the same character. In fact legally, Gigantis doesn't even exist.

Zilla/Godzilla 1998 are legally two separate characters. Gigantis and Godzilla are the same.
Image

User avatar
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4909
Joined: Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:21 pm
Location: USA, East Coast
Contact:

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Zarm » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:09 pm

Like BooLugosi, I don't consider this an actual incarnation of Godzilla. If I'd been designing it, I honestly just would've stuck with the Heisei look. :) But if I were to RE-design this one (not being a designer at all, mind you), I would make the dorsal spines more prominent, give is a smaller jaw (that's where the most design ridicule from me and mine comes from) and change the texturing to a more ridged, traditional look. (plus, you know, change the script to give atomic breath and invulnerability to conventional weapons).

It would still be far from my favorite design, but I think that would be taking it enough in the right direction to be respectable. Right now, it just feels too much (to me) like a Jurassic Park ripoff, merging aspects of the T-rex and Raptors as they portrayed them. A greater visual differentiation (a more upright posture when not running might help that, too) would help to make it feel more like a legitimate re-design and less of a rip-off of a popular-at-the-time franchise.

Again, I'm, no designer; what I described might just be a hot mess. But in my imagination, that's what would help.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:


Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

User avatar
BlueGojira
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 am
Location: M Space Hunter Nebula

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby BlueGojira » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:58 pm

I view Zilla as an entirely seperate character than Godzilla, and do not consider him a true incarnation. Honestly, I can not say I really like him at all. However, the hate about this character at this point is excessive, and I honestly wish people wouldn't pay as much attention to it.

If I were to redesign Zilla, I would make it actually look like Godzilla, while keeping the agile traits of it. I would make it look like the KiryuGoji, except a skinnier build with only some upper muscle. I would also give it atomic breath similar to the original, which would be like a mist. It would also have a longer tail, with only about three larger dorsal plates on its back and many, many smaller ones.
SoleMan wrote:I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

User avatar
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:05 pm
Location: A Portal in time.

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Billzilla1974 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:43 pm

I do not see zilla as a Godzilla incarnation, and I wish it never appears in anymore media whatsoever.
I know many people like zilla jr, but I don't, I hate the folded in arms, the uninspired spines, and especially the fact that they are somehow asexual . Junior may have been a more proper attempt to make a Godzilla but they still used the same design and the same awful retool of the Godzilla roar, he is not a Godzilla.
ultimately the fact is that zilla is basically : a giant iguana with raptor legs and arms w/backwards shark fins and an overly large chin, that is somehow asexual...
Godzilla is generally: a male mutated semi-aquatic dinosaur w/ three rows of large jagged spines, large legs, toes, and tail, and usually either a rounded or crocodilian head.
For all of its flaws & differences, the legendary goji how you properly make an American Godzilla.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!
Banjo-Kazooie Main.

User avatar
BlueGojira
Yin-Yang Master
Posts: 362
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:12 am
Location: M Space Hunter Nebula

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby BlueGojira » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:07 pm

Billzilla1974 wrote:I do not see zilla as a Godzilla incarnation, and I wish it never appears in anymore media whatsoever.
I know many people like zilla jr, but I don't, I hate the folded in arms, the uninspired spines, and especially the fact that they are somehow asexual . Junior may have been a more proper attempt to make a Godzilla but they still used the same design and the same awful retool of the Godzilla roar, he is not a Godzilla.
ultimately the fact is that zilla is basically : a giant iguana with raptor legs and arms w/backwards shark fins and an overly large chin, that is somehow asexual...
Godzilla is generally: a male mutated semi-aquatic dinosaur w/ three rows of large jagged spines, large legs, toes, and tail, and usually either a rounded or crocodilian head.
For all of its flaws & differences, the legendary goji how you properly make an American Godzilla.



While I said in my last post the hate towards Zilla is almost universal and a bit excessive, I agree with this post mostly. Zilla is not a Godzilla incarnation, and the LegendaryGoji is a much better example. However, Zilla appearing in media such as comics by IDW is fine with me, since the character got an upgrade in them, and generally doesn't have too much or too little time in them. In conclusion, I don't consider Zilla a Godzilla incarnation nor do I even really like him/her, but the hate is just scathing at this point. On another note, the only part I really liked about "Godzilla: The Series" was the monsters and concepts of it. I'm just afraid if I say anything else, I'll make a lot of people who like Zilla a tad bit mad.
SoleMan wrote:I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

User avatar
Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent
Posts: 557
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:05 pm
Location: A Portal in time.

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Billzilla1974 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:24 pm

BlueGojira wrote:
Billzilla1974 wrote:I do not see zilla as a Godzilla incarnation, and I wish it never appears in anymore media whatsoever.
I know many people like zilla jr, but I don't, I hate the folded in arms, the uninspired spines, and especially the fact that they are somehow asexual . Junior may have been a more proper attempt to make a Godzilla but they still used the same design and the same awful retool of the Godzilla roar, he is not a Godzilla.
ultimately the fact is that zilla is basically : a giant iguana with raptor legs and arms w/backwards shark fins and an overly large chin, that is somehow asexual...
Godzilla is generally: a male mutated semi-aquatic dinosaur w/ three rows of large jagged spines, large legs, toes, and tail, and usually either a rounded or crocodilian head.
For all of its flaws & differences, the legendary goji how you properly make an American Godzilla.



While I said in my last post the hate towards Zilla is almost universal and a bit excessive, I agree with this post mostly. Zilla is not a Godzilla incarnation, and the LegendaryGoji is a much better example. However, Zilla appearing in media such as comics by IDW is fine with me, since the character got an upgrade in them, and generally doesn't have too much or too little time in them. In conclusion, I don't consider Zilla a Godzilla incarnation nor do I even really like him/her, but the hate is just scathing at this point. On another note, the only part I really liked about "Godzilla: The Series" was the monsters and concepts of it. I'm just afraid if I say anything else, I'll make a lot of people who like Zilla a tad bit mad.


I guess I went a little overboard with my displeasure of Zilla :oops: , I will agree with you on how creative the monsters in "G:ts" were. Most of that was the criticism i've had w/ zilla since childhood because most Americans prior to 2014 only thought of Godzilla as Zilla. I guess as long as the comic companies don't pander to Zilla fans (via having Zilla kill Godzilla) I'm fine with zilla appearing again.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!
Banjo-Kazooie Main.

User avatar
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4831
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Re: How do you view Zilla (aka Gino/godzilla 1998/etc)

Postby Tohosaurus » Mon Mar 27, 2017 4:30 pm

I'd want a Godzilla 98 with significantly more heft (not so sleek) plus more traditional fins.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren


Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest