Monster Discussion: Godzilla (2002-2003/Kiryu Saga)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Hotrod93
G-Force Personnel

Re: Is the Kiryu Godzilla somewhat weaker?

Post by Hotrod93 »

ligerzilla2014 wrote:the big point that all of you are missing is that big G wasn't the only main character. kiryu was the co-protagonist. thats why after two movies of hardcore fighting we still didn't get a clearcut winner.
What does that have to do with anything that we are talking about, the topic is about how weak this version of Godzilla was compared to the others. Not about who is the main Characters are.
Tyler wrote:$200 if I hump a car.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

ligerzilla2014 wrote:the big point that all of you are missing is that big G wasn't the only main character. kiryu was the co-protagonist. thats why after two movies of hardcore fighting we still didn't get a clearcut winner.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

what im getting at is that main characters always have a bit of immortality. i meant that they never lose even if they are supposed. its like how the main characters in star wars never get hit with lasers. having the main character hurt isn't useful unless it does something for the plot. while i do agree that this godzilla is pretty pathetic, but part of the reason for this is that kiryu's talents were exagerated.

sorry for getting so off topic :(

Ligerzilla2014
G-Grasper

Re: Godzilla (2002-2003) Discussion Thread

Post by Ligerzilla2014 »

This suit is great. It had the stage presence of the Heisi goji and that "I'm gonna rip you to shreds" look of the G2K goji :angel:

Godzilla1984
Samurai

Post by Godzilla1984 »

I believe the Kiryu saga Godzilla regen was obviously weaker ( more realistic ) as stated earlier in the forum..but I also believe this Godzilla was still just as powerful to a certain degree.. Kiryu and Godzilla were very evenly matched which is what I really liked...except in SOS were Kiryu got dominated every time he got fixed..but I agree that these films were very realistic in nature as far as damage, and just the nature of the fight, plus how a Mech actually had a battery, and even the fact that they had to vote on even creating him lol..but none the lessto finally answer the question Godzilla was " somewhat " weaker but at the same time just as powerful if you get where im coming from
" You really think you can kill Godzilla "?

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ Ay I agree with him on that one.

Kiryu is weaker, mainly due to the realistic factor that was put into play. Is it bad? Yeah...I like a strong MechaG.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Reigning King Goji
Young Farmer

Post by Reigning King Goji »

Kiryu is weaker but he's my favorite out of all the other mecha g's

Darkness
Interpol Agent

Post by Darkness »

On a couple of occassions in this thread, it's been mentioned that Godzilla should be weaker than the monster he is fighting to raise the stakes. While I do agree that formula works, it only works when Godzilla is the protagonist. In the Kiryu movies, Godzilla was the antagonist. Having a weaker antagonist is just stupid. While I don't judge monsters by their power, I just hate this take on Godzilla. The design is good, but he's not that bright and hardly fights. I lost count of all the times in the Kiryu films that Godzilla just LET Kiryu beat up on him without so much as a counter attack.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

^ That's a good point. The antagonist should seem stronger than the protagonist to raise the stakes.

To put a simple comparison everyone, imagine if Darth Vader was just another Stormtrooper. Yeah. Lightsaber kills him in five seconds.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

GojiFan
Gotengo Officer

Post by GojiFan »

The thing that bothered me was that Godzilla basically had his beam and that is all. While Kiryu is a beast in melee (as long as he doesn't get knocked over), this incarnation of Godzilla for the most part lacked any sort of melee skills. G2K and GvM (the earliest millennium Godzillas) just seemed so much more capable in a close up situation. They did tail sweeps, tail slams, bites, shoving, clawing, biting, etc. This one kinda just sat there.
Legionmaster wrote:You can't counter-seduce, women can shut down their libido at will. It's scary fast too. You'll have to do the man version: punch her in the face.

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

I don't think they purposely set out to make one version of Godzilla stronger or weaker than the other. They just do whatever's best for the story and fans see what they see.
^
THIS.

Who the fuck cares what monster is stronger then the other monster OUTSIDE the context of a Fantasy Match-up? Monster strength is determined by story and should always be.

It boggles my mind that there is a niche element of the fandom that prefers the Heisei over Showa films because the monsters are stronger.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:I don't think they purposely set out to make one version of Godzilla stronger or weaker than the other. They just do whatever's best for the story and fans see what they see.
But they didn't give Godzilla a fighting chance. Isn't the antagonist supposed to be a powerful foe to the protagonist?
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:But they didn't give Godzilla a fighting chance. Isn't the antagonist supposed to be a powerful foe to the protagonist?
Godzilla was immune to masers, knocked Kiryu out in both movies and killed the adult Mothra. That seems tough to me.
Not when compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0Sfz47TaE
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Not when compared to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5b0Sfz47TaE
What the hell does that have to do with anything.
Amon was a hardy foe for Devilman. Kiryu Saga Godzilla was less than that.
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Tyler wrote:
Showa Gyaos wrote:Amon was a hardy foe for Devilman. Kiryu Saga Godzilla was less than that.
What does any of this have to do with that?!
GODZILLA WASN'T POWERFUL. That's what I'm getting at!
ScrumpBump wrote:

Gib money.

Brian4205
Monsterland Worker

Post by Brian4205 »

It's not so much that he was weak, but more that he wasn't smart. Plus, I feel that when Godzilla is the antagonist, he should be the most powerful force ever seen. GMK is a good example of this, Godzilla was unstoppable i that film, but tell me, what did he do in that film that suggest he is stronger then this one? If you look at it, he defeats the army just as well as this Godzilla, he beats Mothra just as well, but the director made him seem Unstoppable. This Godzilla never gives off that feel, mostly because of his facial expressions in my opinion, and because he never beats up on lesser monsters on screen, he only fought Monsters on the same level as him. All in all, I don't think he's weaker, just fighting tougher opponents. As for the scar a year latter, he had a large portion of his chest frozen to absolute zero, I would not be surprised if it took his body a couple of months to even begin repairs because of the effects of the cannon on the tissue.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Well, i think hes quite powerful. I guess i wont go into it too much because i might be a little biased (hes one of my favorite Godzillas), but suffice to say i think hes got some power.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Brian4205
Monsterland Worker

Post by Brian4205 »

No I feel he's powerful aswell, like all post showa incarnations, go ahead, express yourself.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

I felt that Godzilla was far more powerful than kiyru but less intelligent, it seemed to take just a few hits from godzilla to put kiyru out of action, Godzilla acted like an animal not going out of his way to finish off enemies.There are loads of times godzilla was about to finish any enemy and he gets distracted for instance in GvsMG2 Godzilla picked MG up and threw him only to be distracted by garuda which saved MG's ass a similar thing happened in this movie just prior to the absolute zero cannon firing Godzilla was about to destroy kiryu when he is shot at by one of the jets that accompany kiryu, saving it.
84-95

KiryuDragon
Ronin

Godzilla's Chest Wound

Post by KiryuDragon »

Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla: Kiryu's final attempt at using the Absolute Zero Gun partially succeeds, leaving Godzilla with a large bloody wound on his chest that you would think would leave quite a scar on the humiliated Monster King.

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS: Godzilla surfaces in the still under-repaired city of Shinagawa and you get several good looks at his chest. NO ABSOLUTE ZERO SCAR. How in the heck could a wound like that heal that quickly in obviously less than a year?