Unmade Films Discussion: Roland Emmerich's Godzilla 2 (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Unmade Films Discussion: Roland Emmerich's Godzilla 2 (2000)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I haven't spotted any other threads discussing about the scrapped sequel to the subpar attempt at a Godzilla film by Emmerich and Devlin, I thought I'd make one myself for anyone on the site to express their thoughts and opinions about such. So please go ahead and post down such in the comments below. Thank you.

Link: http://godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla ... lm_sequel).
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Re: Unmade Films Discussion: Roland Emmerich's Godzilla 2 (2000)

Post by BooLugosi »

Glad they didn't bring back this abortion of a concept for a sequel. :lol:

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

BooLugosi wrote:Glad they didn't bring back this abortion of a concept for a sequel. :lol:
Hopefully, it would've been better than the first, right?

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
BooLugosi wrote:Glad they didn't bring back this abortion of a concept for a sequel. :lol:
Hopefully, it would've been better than the first, right?
Can't say but I am glad it doesn't exist regardless. :)

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

BooLugosi wrote:an't say but I am glad it doesn't exist regardless. :)
Now the 1996 Jan de Bont film that could've been, now that would deserve a sequel.

BooLugosi
JXSDF Technician

Post by BooLugosi »

SonOfGorgo wrote:
Now the 1996 Jan de Bont film that could've been, now that would deserve a sequel.
I wonder what the quality of that film would have been.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

BooLugosi wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:
Assuming it was successful enough to garner a sequel, I think they may have been able to get the rights to a few of the classic monsters like Mothra, meaning the Rebirth of Mothra series may have never happened. Then again, SpaceGodzilla was supposed to be the final movie. But either time-frame of 1995 or 1996, it would've made the Millennium series nonexistent unless it was a Shin Gojira-like scenario where Toho was allowed to make films of their own. I doubt that'd happen because they were practically done making the movies, and so were willing to hand over the reigns to Sony.

As per the Treatment, I can see many similarities between Queen Bitch and Megaguirus in their monster concepts. It's basically a watered remake of Godzilla vs. The Thing. The Animated Series still does it better.

http://cinetropolis.net/the-great-unmade-godzilla-2/

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Bigdog wrote:
BooLugosi wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote: Now the 1996 Jan de Bont film that could've been, now that would deserve a sequel.
Assuming it was successful enough to garner a sequel, I think they may have been able to get the rights to a few of the classic monsters like Mothra, meaning the Rebirth of Mothra series may have never happened. Then again, SpaceGodzilla was supposed to be the final movie. But either time-frame of 1995 or 1996, it would've made the Millennium series nonexistent unless it was a Shin Gojira-like scenario where Toho was allowed to make films of their own. I doubt that'd happen because they were practically done making the movies, and so were willing to hand over the reigns to Sony.

As per the Treatment, I can see many similarities between Queen Bitch and Megaguirus in their monster concepts. It's basically a watered remake of Godzilla vs. The Thing. The Animated Series still does it better.

I think it was Mechagodzilla II that was supposed to be the last so the American Godzilla could be released the following year of 1994, but a delay held it back so Spacegodzilla & Destoroyah were made instead.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Bigdog wrote:
BooLugosi wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote: Now the 1996 Jan de Bont film that could've been, now that would deserve a sequel.

Good to see another person here interested in alternate timelines. I recommend you check out another posting of mine in the Heisei section under the thread for the Tristar film.

jackzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by jackzilla »

My mixed feelings on this unmade movie are the same as it's predecessor. I both HATE G98 because of how badly it ruined Godzilla and TO THIS DAY I STILL have these conversations...

Other Person: I watched a Godzilla movie, Jack! I know how much you love those!
Me: Oh really? Which one was it?
Other Person: It had Matthew Broderick in it!

And I hate that...

BUT I also LOVE G98 because of how fun it is and I have nostalgia of watching it as a kid (alongside the REAL Godzilla movies too). And to be honest, a part of me would've loved to see a sequel, but, with how badly they messed up the name and people to this day still watch this movie and think they saw a real Godzilla movie, I dunno...
LONG LIVE THE KING

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

jackzilla wrote:My mixed feelings on this unmade movie are the same as it's predecessor. I both HATE G98 because of how badly it ruined Godzilla and TO THIS DAY I STILL have these conversations...

Other Person: I watched a Godzilla movie, Jack! I know how much you love those!
Me: Oh really? Which one was it?
Other Person: It had Matthew Broderick in it!

And I hate that...

BUT I also LOVE G98 because of how fun it is and I have nostalgia of watching it as a kid (alongside the REAL Godzilla movies too). And to be honest, a part of me would've loved to see a sequel, but, with how badly they messed up the name and people to this day still watch this movie and think they saw a real Godzilla movie, I dunno...
I feel something similar too, every Godzilla film has its pros and cons.

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

I love G98, however I feel like it didn't need a sequel.

Omegamorph
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegamorph »

It is to be said that this was a script treatment and as far as it went it only demonstrates that a sequel was actually considered -- otherwise there is no way to know how much the final product would have reflected this storyline.

I also recall an interview with Patrick Tatopoulos (G-fan?) shortly after the release of the 1998 film where he said that perhaps the sequel could involve Mothra, too.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.
miguelnuva wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 5:47 pm With this being an Oscar for best visual effects you can also joke and say Godzilla really did win the oscar.