Best SPFX of the Millennium Godzilla films

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which one had the best FX?

Godzilla 2000
9%
Godzilla x Megaguirus
No votes
GMK
46%
Godzilla x Mechagodzilla
6%
Tokyo SOS
29%
Final Wars
11%

Total votes: 35

Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Best SPFX of the Millennium Godzilla films

Post by Mechagigan »

I'd agree that G:GoTU was just as good, if not better than GMK's effects. Gamera alone looked amazing, let alone the great CG, awesome human effects, etc.

On that note, the effects in Gamera the Brave were pretty great, too, especially Zedus. The CG wasn't bad at all, either. And that opening G3 reference... oooh.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Mechagigan wrote:I'd agree that G:GoTU was just as good, if not better than GMK's effects. Gamera alone looked amazing, let alone the great CG, awesome human effects, etc.
Going to have to stop you there. G:GoTU was good. But it was still pretty rough around the edges. Especially the flight through the city during the final fight. Some of those effects looked pretty bad. GMK has a few shortcomings, like in the moments it relies on digital effects. Though even with the rushed production schedule, I think GMK has at least a slight edge over G:GoTU in the visuals department. But I'll admit it's probably safe to say Legion and Iris beat anything Toho has done.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

As much as I love GMK (It's tied with Gojira and GvD as my favorite Godzilla movie), I'm surprised to see it taking the lead over Tokyo SOS. While I agree that there's MANY good examples of great effects, some of the CGI sequences (Ghidorah's transformation and Godzilla swimming) stick out like a sore thumb to me.
kamilleblu wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:I'd agree that G:GoTU was just as good, if not better than GMK's effects. Gamera alone looked amazing, let alone the great CG, awesome human effects, etc.
Going to have to stop you there. G:GoTU was good. But it was still pretty rough around the edges. Especially the flight through the city during the final fight. Some of those effects looked pretty bad.
Oh man... Balloon Gyaos. XD

I wish there was a gif of that.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dannybeane »

From a technical standpoint I'd say Tokyo SOS had the best spfx. Even better than the Gamera trilogy. While they weren't as true to life as G3, they were more stylized. Tokyo SOS was basically a live action anime film and I say this as someone who doesn't care much for Tokyo SOS.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

To be fair, G:GoTU did have those crappy Gyaos puppets.. so, I can't say it's that perfect.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

Both Gamera 3 and Gamera the Brave look better than any of Toho's Godzilla films released so far in my opinion. Gamera 2 is a tough call, it's practically tied with GMK in my view, which I consider the best looking Toho Goji film to date.

Kaiju-King42 wrote:As much as I love GMK (It's tied with Gojira and GvD as my favorite Godzilla movie), I'm surprised to see it taking the lead over Tokyo SOS. While I agree that there's MANY good examples of great effects, some of the CGI sequences (Ghidorah's transformation and Godzilla swimming) stick out like a sore thumb to me..
Tokyo SOS did have better CGI than GMK, but its monsters and cityscapes looked more like what they were (suits and miniatures) than GMK's. A lot of this is down to the cinematography in my opinion; in particular the lighting and camera angles during the suits-on-set scenes.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

^ Mothra looked amazing in Tokyo SOS. One of Toho's greatest triumphs in bringing its monsters to life.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

kamilleblu wrote:^ Mothra looked amazing in Tokyo SOS. One of Toho's greatest triumphs in bringing its monsters to life.
Agreed, she was beautifully realized. It's more Godzilla I felt could've been done better. He came across as too stiff and rubbery in my opinion. The quality of the CGI, Mothra, and Kiryu still make Tokyo SOS the second best looking Toho Godzilla film in my view, but GMK has the lead for me.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Variola wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:^ Mothra looked amazing in Tokyo SOS. One of Toho's greatest triumphs in bringing its monsters to life.
Agreed, she was beautifully realized. It's more Godzilla I felt could've been done better. He came across as too stiff and rubbery in my opinion. The quality of the CGI, Mothra, and Kiryu still make Tokyo SOS the second best looking Toho Godzilla film in my view, but GMK has the lead for me.
That's one of my biggest issues with the Kiryu Duology. Couldn't really get into it's Godzilla. He looks like a watered-down MireGoji. And after GMK's SokogekiGoji, it's a little difficult to accept KiryuGoji. Both design and behavior. But I'll admit he looks cool in some shots.

Variola
JXSDF Technician

Post by Variola »

kamilleblu wrote:
Variola wrote: Agreed, she was beautifully realized. It's more Godzilla I felt could've been done better. He came across as too stiff and rubbery in my opinion. The quality of the CGI, Mothra, and Kiryu still make Tokyo SOS the second best looking Toho Godzilla film in my view, but GMK has the lead for me.
That's one of my biggest issues with the Kiryu Duology. Couldn't really get into it's Godzilla. He looks like a watered-down MireGoji. And after GMK's SokogekiGoji, it's a little difficult to accept KiryuGoji. Both design and behavior. But I'll admit he looks cool in some shots.
Yeah, it was a bit hard to go from GMK Goji's more lifelike movements and textures to Kiryugoji. Set lighting also plays a key role; I felt like the Kiryu films overlit their night scenes in a way that made it very obvious it was under soundstage lights.
They did have some cool looking scenes though, yeah. Kiryu carrying Godzilla out to sea and Mothra's entrance in Tokyo SOS, and the opening rainstorm rampage in GxMG come to mind.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The Godzilla in the Kiryu films just looked fake to me - not man-in-a-suit fake, more like plastic fake. He hardly moved, his eyes were static, etc.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

The CGI GMK Ghidorah. It looked fake... except in scenes when he was flying. It was good.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon