Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
realinvaderdesign
Yojimbo

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Postby realinvaderdesign » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:53 am

I dont see anything wrong with final wars, its like a modern showa movie, of all the millennium films its either godzilla 2000, gmk or final wars i usually re watch, sometimes megaguirus but not as much.

Id say the godzilla suit used in this film is a nice mix of the showa slimness and the millennium head design, shame it doesnt get used as much in other media.
I will say gigan is one of the few disappointing parts of the movie, he's got a cool updated design but is almost played as a joke. The other one is kaiser ghidorahs look, monster x has a pretty cool design, but after that im not too big a fan of the pantomime horse get up, they really should of used a more conventional ghidorah design.

Also id say the human actors are pretty memorable too, especially don frye as gordon and the xilien leader, the character is so over the top its great

Goji
Kwaidan

Postby Goji » Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:31 am

It’s rare for me to tap out before even finishing the first sentence, but here we are.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you

LSD Jellyfish
Kwaidan

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:52 am

realinvaderdesign wrote:I dont see anything wrong with final wars, its like a modern showa movie, of all the millennium films its either godzilla 2000, gmk or final wars i usually re watch, sometimes megaguirus but not as much.

Id say the godzilla suit used in this film is a nice mix of the showa slimness and the millennium head design, shame it doesnt get used as much in other media.
I will say gigan is one of the few disappointing parts of the movie, he's got a cool updated design but is almost played as a joke. The other one is kaiser ghidorahs look, monster x has a pretty cool design, but after that im not too big a fan of the pantomime horse get up, they really should of used a more conventional ghidorah design.

Also id say the human actors are pretty memorable too, especially don frye as gordon and the xilien leader, the character is so over the top its great

My forum posts from five years ago, basically say the same thing you say here, so when I respond to this, understand I knew exactly how you feel.

Anyways, GFW, tries to be like a showa film, in the worst possible way, and just lacks the soul that made the showa films special. The monsters, are just that, they lack any sort of tragedy, complexity, or character. The “homage” to the showa monsters, amounts to them just being there, so godzilla can off them so he’s more bad ass and appeals to the “Godzilla is king crowd”.

As I’ve grown older, I’ve also grown more wary of some of the “comedy”, mainly incredibly mean spirited stuff, that treats people, especially foreigners, in the film like whacky idiots. Scenes like that fat kid eating chocolate, throwing Gamera in the fire, just come off as mean. The two guys watching Godzilla in the Anartic base that just get blasted away for the hell of it, also mean spirited. Of course the argument will be, well that happens in other Godzilla movies, and yeah definitely, but usually when Godzilla is outright an antagonist/and or the people getting killed in some ways deserve it.

I do agree though, that the suits, like Gigan and Monster X are well done and don’t really disagree with the other stuff you said.

And also, I actually think, up until Godzilla appears, minus some of the aforementioned bad comedy, the film actually has a good build up, and some tension with the Xilliens.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

GmkGoji
Yin-Yang Master

Postby GmkGoji » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:14 am

The Xilien leader was so childish it made me and my friend laugh whenever he ranted.
Are we dead?
Or is this Ohio?

Malchik
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby Malchik » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:19 pm

realinvaderdesign wrote:

I'd think Godzilla would qualify as haram. I'll get my local Imam on the phone.

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”