Final Wars: Why The Hate?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Final Wars: Why The Hate?

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I posted this in another thread:
"The best thing about Final Wars is seeing Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, and Kenji Sahara back together. Oh, and Takarada holding lazer guns."

Yeah, that's the only thing this film did right in my opinion.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I posted this in another thread:
"The best thing about Final Wars is seeing Akira Takarada, Kumi Mizuno, and Kenji Sahara back together. Oh, and Takarada holding lazer guns."

You embarrass me and this entire fandom....... :oops:

Shane, shame, shame.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

goji89 wrote:

You embarrass me and this entire fandom....... :oops:

Shane, shame, shame.
Et tu Brutus?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

The last part had me LOL

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

The fact they shit on Namikawa though T_T
She deserved so much better than the unblinking object we got in GFW.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I think it is pretty funny that because there are people out there, like myself, that enjoy the film flaws and all. I will admit that when I 1st watched it, I was a bit disappointed overall. I thought it was better than the last two films, but that wasn't saying much. But the more I watched it the more I liked it, and it slowly started to climb up my list of favorites, and has always been on heavy rewatch rotation.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Forget Terror Of Mechagodzilla, Final Wars is the true “franchise killer” :lol:
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Forget Terror Of Mechagodzilla, Final Wars is the true “franchise killer” :lol:
Really? So there has been no movies since? could have fooled me.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

szmigiel wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Forget Terror Of Mechagodzilla, Final Wars is the true “franchise killer” :lol:
Really? So there has been no movies since? could have fooled me.
You know good and well what I mean, TOMG put the series into a 9 year hiatus, GFW seemingly killed the franchise until the good ol US and Toho partnered to revive the dead horse GFW beat into the ground :P
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Final Wars was made as a final hurrah. The entire Millennium series put the franchise to bed for 10 years. Not just Final Wars.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Maritonic wrote:Final Wars was made as a final hurrah.
Yeah, and it flopped.

Destroy All Monsters was intended to be the last Godzilla film too, look what happened there. ;)
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Yeah, and it flopped.

If it became a phenomenon success like Shin for example, the gap between 2004 and the next Godzilla movie would be tighter.
Of course. But it's still a false claim that Final Wars is the killer. Everything else in the Millennium series did poorly too (save for GMK). If Final Wars was the only flop, we would likely have seen more films.
Last edited by Maritonic on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:You know good and well what I mean, TOMG put the series into a 9 year hiatus, GFW seemingly killed the franchise until the good ol US and Toho partnered to revive the dead horse GFW beat into the ground :P
Nope

It flopping had nothing to do with the 10 year break. The 10 year break was already planned before the film was released.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/people/shogo_tomiyama.htm

“By 2003, though, the series had once again gone stagnant at the box office with the lackluster performance of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. Tomiyama had big things in store for the following year, though, as he stepped up to become the president of Toho along with co-writing and producing the most expensive Godzilla film to emerge from Toho: Godzilla: Final Wars (2004). Preceding the film's release, Tomiyama commented that Godzilla would go into a decade long retirement following the release of the 2004 film, and, after surveying the disappointing box office receipts for Godzilla: Final Wars (2004), stayed true to his word.”

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Maritonic wrote:
Yeah, and it flopped.

If it became a phenomenon success like Shin for example, the gap between 2004 and the next Godzilla movie would be tighter.
Of course. But it's still a false claim that Final Wars is the killer. Everything else in the Millennium series did poorly too (save for GMK). If Final Wars was the only flop, we would likely have seen more films.
Well there’s no arguing there, the entire Millennium series as a whole really put the nail in the coffin.
That cemented that Toho was running on steam now to produce these films and each one got sloppier and sloppier.

Added in 54 seconds:
szmigiel wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:You know good and well what I mean, TOMG put the series into a 9 year hiatus, GFW seemingly killed the franchise until the good ol US and Toho partnered to revive the dead horse GFW beat into the ground :P
Nope

It flopping had nothing to do with the 10 year break. The 10 year break was already planned before the film was released.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/people/shogo_tomiyama.htm

“By 2003, though, the series had once again gone stagnant at the box office with the lackluster performance of Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.. Tomiyama had big things in store for the following year, though, as he stepped up to become the president of Toho along with co-writing and producing the most expensive Godzilla film to emerge from Toho: Godzilla: Final Wars (2004). Preceding the film's release, Tomiyama commented that Godzilla would go into a decade long retirement following the release of the 2004 film, and, after surveying the disappointing box office receipts for Godzilla: Final Wars (2004), stayed true to his word.”
Lmao, ok. I remember when Toho said the same about Destroy All Monsters

Toho’s in it for the money, if Final Wars had been successful, the series wouldn’t have fizzled out.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:55 am, edited 3 times in total.
#slatternking

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

PitchBlackProgress wrote: Lmao, ok. I remember when Toho said the same about Destroy All Monsters
But DAM did end the big theater distribution of Godzilla films.
The ones that followed were part of a new Festival model, the Champion Festival.
https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/toho-c ... -festival/

So in away DAM was an end of an era, all the films after it in the Showa era were released differently, and more cheaply. I think the Champion Festival should be it's own era and not lumped in with the 50's and 60's films.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

You realize this is just a debate about semantics? You could just as easily say if all the Millennium series didn't bomb, the series wouldn't have fizzled out.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Maritonic wrote:You could just as easily say if all the Millennium series didn't bomb, the series wouldn't have fizzled out.
I mean, yeah? No arguing there.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Maritonic wrote:You could just as easily say if all the Millennium series didn't bomb, the series wouldn't have fizzled out.
I mean, yeah? That’s a no brainer.
Then why the harping on Final Wars?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Because that’s what this threads for.
#slatternking

latinothor
GPN Volunteer

Post by latinothor »

Forget Terror Of Mechagodzilla, Final Wars is the true “franchise killer” :lol:
Why don't you tell us how you really feel? :lol:

Show me on this anatomically correct doll, where GFW hurt you. :lol: