Tristar Zilla Unmade Sequel (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Baragon

Tristar Zilla Unmade Sequel (2000)

Post by Baragon »

I didn't know if I should post it here, or in the heisei series place.. but, I decided to put it here since it was going to be made in 2000. Anyways, im not going to write the entire script, but, you can read all about it here.... The Zilla baby.. a new monster Queen Bitch, and a plot that sounds.. well.. judge it for yourselves..

http://the-american-godzilla.wikia.com/wiki/Godzilla_2

haven't seen any topic about this.. only a few people talking about it.. also, they decided not to make this since the 1998 one didn't do good.. there was also supposed to be a third one, but.. no one knows about that one.. and since this was scrapped, the cartoon was made! also, Queen Bitch which was going to be in the second one, was put into the series, but renamed Queen Bee.. ad turned into a bee.. because Queen Bitch was supposed to be a giant dragonfly or something.. haven't heard that before..

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Re: Tristar Zilla Unmade Sequel (2000)

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

From what I heard. It was going to take place in Sydney, Australia. Hmm guess Zilla attacking the city in Final Wars was a reference to it.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Was never that interested in this being that it would doubtless retain essentially all the issues that plagued G98. Granted, they could've changed it, fattening and changing up the Godzilla design and explaining it away as continuous mutation, etc. But it doesn't seem like something they were considering, so I'd rather they had scrapped it. Now that Godzilla: Reborn idea.....
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Godnose
Samurai

Post by Godnose »

Very glad this never got made - even the atomic breath wouldn't have saved it for me.

"Nick shrouds the BabyZilla in a long overcoat" - ET

"Nick and Phillipe find themselves directly in the path of a Godzilla Stampede!" Jurassic Park - again

"n the Outback, Nick has a new problem: Godzilla follows him everywhere!" - Jeeeeeezzzzzz :roll:

DaddlerTheDalek
Monarch Researcher

Post by DaddlerTheDalek »

I would like to see some Concept Art of this. Especially of that "Queen Bitch".
Tails wrote:You're watching a Poster!

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Ah, I remember this from when it made the rounds a decade ago. I think my reaction to it would've been like a fusion of my reactions to the '98 film and Men in Black 2 - the latter namely being, "Meh, this is clearly based on the cartoon but is nothing like it."

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Wow... that seemed kinda Godzilla 2014ish....
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Wow... that seemed kinda Godzilla 2014ish....
Perhaps this is where Gareth Edwards got his idea from.....

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

I liked the idea of the mutant bees attacking planes and cities and stuff and taking their prey back to their Pacific Island home. That seemed sinister and ominous, although tonally at odds with the family film approach to the GINO creatures.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Didn't SciFi Japan put up an article doubting the validity of the film? Besides, the AGWiki is run by TurokSwe, who's such a Zilla fanboy that he/she/they will go to any measures to try and "disprove" the change of Zilla's name from "Godzilla" to "Zilla" by Toho.

If anything, Swe's far less trustworthy than TK percieves Wikizilla to be; Swe always puts Godzilla under the name "Japanese Godzilla", and Zilla under "American Godzilla"....even though Toho (who owns the copyright of the Godzilla name and the Zilla character and thus can do what they please with it) has renamed it Zilla since Final Wars.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I would have loved to see it made. I'd take it over most of the Millennium series honestly.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

gigan72 wrote:Wait.... they were really gonna use the name Queen Bitch?
Probably just the placeholder name until something better would've inevitably come along. Although it would make for some interesting Christmas letters to Santa the year it would've been released had it got made. The scene of Nick disguising Zilla II reminds me of the storyline in the Marvel mag where Godzilla is shrunken down to hamster size, but starts going back to his regular size. At a point where he's about average human height, Little Rob disguises him in a wino's trenchcoat who fled the scene upon seeing a human sized lizard walking towards him, along with a hat and scarf he found. It worked for a short while before Rob encountered S.H.I.E.L.D., and Godzilla ripped out of the disguise.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Godnose wrote:Very glad this never got made - even the atomic breath wouldn't have saved it for me.

"Nick shrouds the BabyZilla in a long overcoat" - ET

"Nick and Phillipe find themselves directly in the path of a Godzilla Stampede!" Jurassic Park - again

"n the Outback, Nick has a new problem: Godzilla follows him everywhere!" - Jeeeeeezzzzzz :roll:
This. I am glad all Tristar got was one "Godzilla" movie.

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

The ending sounds cliched as hell. Glad this was never produced.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I'm glad we got the Millennium Series over this, but it still wouldn've been interesting to see. At least there would've been monster battles and probably better special effects.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Jiragozira14 wrote:Didn't SciFi Japan put up an article doubting the validity of the film? Besides, the AGWiki is run by TurokSwe, who's such a Zilla fanboy that he/she/they will go to any measures to try and "disprove" the change of Zilla's name from "Godzilla" to "Zilla" by Toho.

If anything, Swe's far less trustworthy than TK percieves Wikizilla to be; Swe always puts Godzilla under the name "Japanese Godzilla", and Zilla under "American Godzilla"....even though Toho (who owns the copyright of the Godzilla name and the Zilla character and thus can do what they please with it) has renamed it Zilla since Final Wars.
Not true, look up the copyright information for Godzilla 1998. Still labeled as Godzilla for character and design, has never been changed to Zilla outside of the 2004 representation. Even is labeled as Godzilla on Toho's new Blu-ray.

However, I doubt the legibility of this film myself. Wikis will be wikis.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Starsteam wrote:
Jiragozira14 wrote:Didn't SciFi Japan put up an article doubting the validity of the film? Besides, the AGWiki is run by TurokSwe, who's such a Zilla fanboy that he/she/they will go to any measures to try and "disprove" the change of Zilla's name from "Godzilla" to "Zilla" by Toho.

Not true, look up the copyright information for Godzilla 1998. Still labeled as Godzilla for character and design, has never been changed to Zilla outside of the 2004 representation. Even is labeled as Godzilla on Toho's new Blu-ray.

However, I doubt the legibility of this film myself. Wikis will be wikis.
The way I understand it is that Godzilla 1998 IS by all legal and technical definitions a Godzilla movie staring a very different take on the Godzilla character, but when that version of Godzilla is incorporated into the greater Toho universe, be it Final Wars or Rulers of Earth, it stands as a separate monster from Godzilla. I mean there have been MANY different Godzillas but you will never see an official Toho authorized Godzilla story featuring multiple versions of Godzilla interacting with each other (SG and MG don't count), so for us to see the real Godzilla take on the 98 version, he needed to be turned into his own character. As for this sequel, as a fan of Godzilla 1998 part of me would have liked to have seen this version of the character continue but this script was not good at all. It reads like a bad rip off of GTS which frankly is the best sequel we ever could have gotten.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Sounds like it would have been just as bad as the first one.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

This script has been going around for years -- if it's a hoax, it's not a recent creation by any means.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Jiragozira14
Interpol Agent

Post by Jiragozira14 »

Starsteam wrote:

.....That's because you can't change a movie's title when A) You don't technically own it's copyrights, just the design of a character in said film. and B) when the film in question is 16 years old at this point, you can't do anything to it's name. And it's been reffered to as Zilla, even when using the design from the TriStar film, by IDW before. Why is Toho so intent on having it's name be Zilla, why give it it's own copyright they'd need to maintain and why would IDW (a third-party company) still refer to the creature as Zilla if it's supposedly still being called Godzilla? The fact that Zilla has it's own trademarked name and the Zilla copyright icon used by Toho looks almost identical to the one TriStar used outside of name heavily implies that they are the same character, but different incarnations; the same logic we use for other Toho kaiju. We don't see people run around claiming that the 1954 and 1974 Godzillas are two separate characters, so why do people still insist on saying the 1998 and 2004 Zillas are, when the differences between the 1998 and 2004 Zilla designs amount to colouration and a slightly different shape to the dorsal scutes?

And TriStar lost any rights to the Godzilla franchise in 2002, rendering them unable to do anything else with the character and giving Toho full legal control over the creation TriStar put their trademark on. Toho owns Zilla as of 2002, so naturally Toho can do what they please with the character.

As for the supposed sequel: it sounds awful, but maybe a little less so than the 1998 film. It'd depend on excecution.
Chris55 wrote:
JVM wrote:Bagan should come back, but not in a movie.
Then how? Game? Books? His own line of condoms?
Shigeru Miyamoto wrote:So you know cats are interesting. They are kind of like girls. If they come and talk to you it's great. But if you try to talk to them it doesn't always go so well.
Mr. X wrote:If you say so. If he does end up being under $140, I'll buy one for every person in this thread.