Attack On Titan: The Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Attack On Titan: The Movie

Post by Tohosaurus »

kamilleblu wrote:Attack on Titan dropped to fifth place for its second weekend. The sequel will have a difficult time getting its foot in the door next month and possibly have trouble recouping its budget unless word of mouth saves it.
Seriously??? That's.....very not good for its prospects.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

Tohosaurus wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Attack on Titan dropped to fifth place for its second weekend. The sequel will have a difficult time getting its foot in the door next month and possibly have trouble recouping its budget unless word of mouth saves it.
Seriously??? That's.....very not good for its prospects.
Make a bad movie... and the general audience will find out.
Member of TK Since 2006

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

3000 wrote: Make a bad movie... and the general audience will find out.
Sure, but even ones that don't seem that well received like Gantz did well enough. Given the comparative popularity of AoT, I just expected more.
고질라

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

According to the Hollywood Reporter, the film has made $11.5 million dollars thus far. If it really cost $30+ million, I don't exactly see it doing well in the long run. Especially since there is an equally expensive sequel debuting next month. Good will seems to be gone. Hopefully Toho learns from this and does better with Godzilla.

Laziness:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... rld-814171

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

kamilleblu wrote:According to the Hollywood Reporter, the film has made $11.5 million dollars thus far. If it really cost $30+ million, I don't exactly see it doing well in the long run. Especially since there is an equally expensive sequel debuting next month. Good will seems to be gone. Hopefully Toho learns from this and does better with Godzilla.

Laziness:http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... rld-814171
Nah! The AIT property has enough international fan base that they will make up the difference in overseas DVD sales alone. Making back its production costs will be trivial. It's just it won't be the massive hit they hoped for, so diminished returns. The biggest fear we have is some studio or network clown looks at AOT and says "well no one liked AOT so these overseas people won't like Godzilla either!" Remember we missed the back half of the Heisei era for years because of fools like that.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

I actually watched this tonight.

Loved it - would give it a 7/10. I can see why people wanting a faithful adaptation of the source material were upset, but I didn't care much about the changes made. The characters are close enough and the effects were pretty good - the Colossal Titan was awesome and the rest of the Titans were terrifying.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Hybrid Gojira wrote:I actually watched this tonight.

Loved it - would give it a 7/10. I can see why people wanting a faithful adaptation of the source material were upset, but I didn't care much about the changes made. The characters are close enough and the effects were pretty good - the Colossal Titan was awesome and the rest of the Titans were terrifying.
Pretty much this! Really enjoyed it, can't wait for part 2

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

*corrected*
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

No, not necessarily. Depends on what the deal they signed with Funimation was.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

As of the 24th, it has made a bit less than $22M in Japan.
In the sixth spot, live-action manga adaptation Attack on Titan has now taken $21.7 million (¥1.4 billion) from 2.62 million tickets after four weekends.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/j ... rld-817040
고질라

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Does anyone think this film is the right choice to screen at a convention with people of all ages, mainly college students? Would general audiences enjoy it, even if it's just for the sake of watching it on the big screen with other people?

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I think the general audience will love this concept.
Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Sadly, I don't think so. people would laugh at it, because "hurr durr suits" and it being Japanese. One reason I'm a little apprehensive to see it in the theater

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I was thinking about using it, so I was looking for thoughts around here before presenting it to higher ups next week.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Pkmatrix wrote:No, not necessarily. Depends on what the deal they signed with Funimation was.
That's what I want to know. Will it get a limited US theatrical release or go straight to video?

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

MandaSaurus wrote:That's what I want to know. Will it get a limited US theatrical release or go straight to video?
The first movie is being released in the US on September 30th, the second movie on October 20th.
고질라

ABB Gamma
GPN Volunteer

Post by ABB Gamma »

The catch is that each movie is only playing for a few days.

Part 1: September 30th, October 1st, and October 7th in the U.S.; October 5th and 26th in Canada
Part 2: October 20th, 22nd, and 27th in the U.S.; October 22nd and 26th in Canada

The official site has started selling tickets (and more importantly, it has a theater locator).

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Never cared about manga or anime versions, but a live-action movie with legions of man-eating giants in a post-apocalyptic world? What's not to like, I said to myself and went to watch this...

Holy skreeonk, I'm impressed. Yes, the movie could've overall been better (it felt rushed, characters are underdeveloped, the CGI isn't always realistic, and I could go on...), but I absolutely love all the Titan sequences. I've always found zombies very scary...how they're always hungry, how they have only a single weak spot on the body and how there is always too many of them, you can never kill em all. And those Titans here are like giant, non-rotten zombies, who just don't eat you because of instinct, but they look like they're ENJOYING doing so! Super creepy stuff, genuinely scary.

The dystopian civilization, where almost all resources are lacking, was also done well, and characters (while underdeveloped, as I mentioned above) are mostly sympathetic. I really liked that badass dude, who chopped down Titans' ankles with a double-handed axe.

Really looking forward to second part, and I guess I got to check out the anime as well. Hope I won't be dissapointed.

Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Post by Space Hunter M »

I thought this movie was silly at best. The very end was worth it, though. Unflattering teal garbage otherwise.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

ABB Gamma wrote:The catch is that each movie is only playing for a few days.

Part 1: September 30th, October 1st, and October 7th in the U.S.; October 5th and 26th in Canada
Part 2: October 20th, 22nd, and 27th in the U.S.; October 22nd and 26th in Canada

The official site has started selling tickets (and more importantly, it has a theater locator).
Huh. In the intro flash video, the same guy got two different quotes :)
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.