Attack On Titan: The Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Attack On Titan: The Movie

Post by Tohosaurus »

Mr. Xeno wrote:What exactly is the jukebox scene? Jomei also mentioned that it was extremely weird.
It's basically a scene where
Spoiler:
Eren is spoken to by Captain Know. That character provides a lot of backstory on the Titans and general exposition to Eren. Not only was this a really clumsy method of talking about it, the setting itself was strange and random (you have to see it yourself because I'll either explain it poorly in words or make it sound even stranger than it is). But it was acted in a jarring fashion, as if the captain was in an anime. Noble, perhaps, but mannerisms that work in an anime just don't work in LA. But that isn't just a criticism of Hasegawa, because other actors either A) overacted (overly melodramatic at times, for example), or B) acted in a way that seemed like this was supposed to be a spoof, or C) acted like this was the anime, which is just awkward in the LA format.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Perhaps the intention WAS to act as if they were anime characters :shrug:
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:Perhaps the intention WAS to act as if they were anime characters :shrug:
Right, but that'd be a huge miscalculation on the part of whoever decided that was a good idea. This is as good an example as any. At least with movies like Shinobi, Gantz, and so on they realized they needed to treat a LA film like a LA film, even if the franchise came from manga/anime sources.
고질라

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

I liked it. Not as good as the first, but enjoyable effects, with twists and turns, and cool music. I love these movies personally. They are unique and interesting

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:Perhaps the intention WAS to act as if they were anime characters :shrug:
Right, but that'd be a huge miscalculation on the part of whoever decided that was a good idea. This is as good an example as any. At least with movies like Shinobi, Gantz, and so on they realized they needed to treat a LA film like a LA film, even if the franchise came from manga/anime sources.
It absolutely WAS the intention, and the AoT movies aren't the first to do it. I'm sure there are examples of LA films based on animes that aren't like that, but my understanding is that this sort of thing is typical of anything live action adapting anime.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

What is the third Titan in the fight at the end? I've heard the Rogue and Armored are two of them, but what's the third? Colossal? Female?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Pkmatrix wrote: It absolutely WAS the intention, and the AoT movies aren't the first to do it. I'm sure there are examples of LA films based on animes that aren't like that, but my understanding is that this sort of thing is typical of anything live action adapting anime.
I haven't seen the Death Note movies or Kenshin trilogy, but I've seen basically all the others to get a US release and they all handled their LA format better. If their actors were trying to mimic the anime, it didn't bother me at all, not like this. Terrible idea. JMO
고질라

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

Kaijunator wrote:What is the third Titan in the fight at the end? I've heard the Rogue and Armored are two of them, but what's the third? Colossal? Female?
The final battle is between non-titan Eren and the Colossal Titan

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kaijunator wrote:What is the third Titan in the fight at the end? I've heard the Rogue and Armored are two of them, but what's the third? Colossal? Female?
I wish. I wondered if the crystal armor would be all CGI or if they'd use some practical FX had they brought it in.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

So Annie/Female Titan isn't even in this? Wtf…
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Mr. Xeno wrote:What exactly is the jukebox scene? Jomei also mentioned that it was extremely weird.
Person A wakes up in a bright, white room with windows everywhere and a juice box playing. They then see person B. As person B is explaining shit to person A on the origins of the Titans, the room suddenly has sand or carpet when it was bare before, Person B has some champagne bottle and glasses out of seemingly no where at one point, then as footage from I am guessing a hidden projector plays footage of the first Titan attack, we cut to person B on lawn chairs which seemingly came from no where.

At first I thought it was all taking place in person A's head, like a dream scene or psychic projection. Oh and be sure to stay after the end credits, that juice box room shows up again. I failed to explain it well in my review because I was exhausted.
Tohosaurus wrote:
It's basically a scene where ...
Eh I liked scientist lady for being so over the top and excited to learn something new about Titans (kind of reminds me of myself and how I like when movies or the Character Analysis on this site explains how some of the Toho kaiju's powers work). She has a total boom-gasem when some explosions go off. ;)
Lain Of The Wired wrote:So Annie/Female Titan isn't even in this? Wtf…
There are female Titans like the Laughing Titan (holy crap that thing was creepy) but none of them are THE Female titan. Can I say that's a pretty generic name? You'd think they'd call it the Crystal Titan or something more descriptive. At least the others get more descriptive names.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Copying and pasting as before:

SPIOLERS!!!

Attack On Titan: Part 2 (2015)

Okay, what just happened here?

Like the first one, the special effects are good, and the acting is decent, but they must've took the rest of the story and threw in into an egg scrambler and filmed the results. Again I know that movie adaptions of other source materials aren't 100% accurate, but I couldn't be as forgiving in this one. The biggest change that was ridiculous was making the Levi character the Armored Titan and the director the Colossal. That came out of nowhere. I came in a few minutes late so I missed the scenes dealing with Eren as a kid, but the first couple of minutes tried to mix the episodes together to make a short version. We have Eren tied up at gunpoint being asked if he's human or not. We have Armin defending him with the salute. But all of a sudden the Armored Titan jumps in and takes Eren away. Instead of having the Female Titan in this they replaced her roles to the Armored. Of course, instead of the Levi character being a friend to Eren and helping him, he's pretty much now an A hole. Last, we'll have the Scout Regiment as a rebellion and make sealing the hole in the wall a mistake: Not with a rock, but with the Rouge Titan climbing the wall like the Female and placing a nuclear warhead into a gap. At least this change isn't as annoying as some of the others. Also I'm not sure if I want to mention the jukebox room. That was so random that I was wondering what was going through this film director's mind........

Out of all the changes, the nuclear messages weren't bad. Turning humans into titans is actually how I believe they came to be. The ending shot showing the desolated Tokyo was strange but didn't bother me. The special effects like the first one were good for about 90% of the time, again with the green screen shots sticking out the most. My favorite scenes were all of the titan fights. Shows how I felt about this one.

Overall, this one was worse than the first. Less accurate scrambled plot and story, and some entertaining scenes to redeem it some, but not much. Just so to have the complete set, I'll still buy this on Blu-Ray when that happens.......

2.5/5
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

Janjira54
Gotengo Officer

Post by Janjira54 »

The armored titan in the film is said to have traits from both the female and armored from the manga

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

TBH I'm just glad Annie got spared from being in this horrendous adaption. Annie's my favorite character so at least she didn't get dragged through the mud like some other characters did.

It'd be interesting to see how they'd do the Female Titan to be honest, but even then I'm not sure they'd execute her that well.

ABB Gamma
GPN Volunteer

Post by ABB Gamma »

Part 2 is now online (Russian dub, less-than-stellar English subtitles). Makes me wonder how long it'll take for Godzilla Resurgence.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

ABB Gamma wrote:Part 2 is now online (Russian dub, less-than-stellar English subtitles). Makes me wonder how long it'll take for Godzilla Resurgence.
Link please? I've been dying to watch Part 2.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Gonzilla
Yojimbo

Post by Gonzilla »

I saw both of these in the limited theatrical release. I'm going to say upfront that I had no experience and attachment to the manga or anime beyond passing knowledge.

That said... I really enjoyed the movies. I thought they made for pretty good kaiju movies and ones with actually decent human characters at that. They weren't GREAT CINEMA but they were a pretty fun ride in my opinion, on par with the middle of the pack Godzilla movies like GvM92 or vs Gigan.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Its similiarities to The Walking Dead is probably a factor as to this franchise is so popular. It’s essentially a zombie-apocalypse story, only the zombies are giant-sized.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Looks Around*

So...I just want to say that I found the live action films absolutely awful.

The Manga is fantastic...and the Anime is great fun.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

While I liked what I've seen of the anime, but I do prefer the movies. I don't think that they are as bad as people say. I know that their not perfect, some of the effects look off at times and it might have worked better if both parts were edited into one longer film.

The fight sences are fantastic and are a joy to watch. The normal Titans are absolutely terrifying and disgusting, they are the scariest giant monsters I've seen in a long time.