Attack On Titan: The Movie

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Attack On Titan: The Movie

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Looks like Toho will be doing a live action Attack On Titan movie, so I decided to make a thread devoted to that.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

gzilla46
Futurian

Re: Attack On Titan: The Movie

Post by gzilla46 »

Sounds interesting.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Is this legit?
^This post in sexually offensive.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Dillyziller wrote:Is this legit?
If it wasn't, I wouldn't be making a thread devoted to it ;)
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:
If it wasn't, I wouldn't be making a thread devoted to it ;)
:lol:
I only watched the first episode of the anime and that's it. I don't think the show is bad. In fact, I think it's awesome. I just didn't feel like watching more of it. But i'm definitely watching the movie.
^This post in sexually offensive.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Attack on Titan movie dear Lord I gotta has it now!

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Yup. It was actually supposed to come out July 2013 but the director left the project and that or other things led to delays. They have a new director now and it's set for a 2015 release.

Initially I believe someone involved in the project said it would be the most expensive Japanese film yet. The current recorder holder for that title is Ponyo, a Toho film (AOT will be Toho distributed as I understand it) that the main site says cost $32M.

I look forward to this excitedly, although I hope the special effects are up to the standards I'd like to see. Hollywood could do a really great LA AOT movie (series!?) but the expensive production teamed with an R rating (if they wanted to do it properly) is probably much too risky in the current climate of iffy performing giant monster/giant movies.
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Fri Jun 06, 2014 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Awesome! I'd forgotten they were working on this. Now I really need to sit and watch the anime. :lol:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Doctor Kaiju wrote:I've just started watching it, it's a great show and could be a fantastic film! What a good run of movies I've had to watch, I'm feeling kind of spoiled.

I've read a limited theatrical release in the US is not out of the question, that would be nice.
It'd be a good idea for them, given the extremely high production costs at which they seem to be looking. Sadly non-English language films have a poor history in the contemporary US industry. Maybe if they had a dub that matched the synchronization of the actor like they did in King of the Monsters to partially conceal that element?
고질라

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Follow The #MoreMonsterVerse Twitter Movement!

Link: https://twitter.com/ExpandtheMV?s=09

We Can Make A Difference! Fans Have A Voice!

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Doctor Kaiju wrote:I've just started watching it, it's a great show and could be a fantastic film! What a good run of movies I've had to watch, I'm feeling kind of spoiled.

I've read a limited theatrical release in the US is not out of the question, that would be nice.
It'd be a good idea for them, given the extremely high production costs at which they seem to be looking. Sadly non-English language films have a poor history in the contemporary US industry. Maybe if they had a dub that matched the synchronization of the actor like they did in King of the Monsters to partially conceal that element?
Maybe they should hire look-a-like American unknowns and then blend their faces together with motion capture so it will look like the original actors speaking English without lip sync? Not sure how advanced it would be , but you could bring in the voices of the dub for the dialogue shots and it would look like as if the original Japanese actors are performing.
I look forward to this excitedly, although I hope the special effects are up to the standards I'd like to see. Hollywood could do a really great LA AOT movie (series!?) but the expensive production teamed with an R rating (if they wanted to do it properly) is probably much too risky in the current climate of iffy performing giant monster/giant movies
The only ones that were iffy were Pacific Rim and before. Jack the Giant Slayer didn't do well because the film was released on a horrible date between a successful month of comedies in February. While, Oz The Great and Powerful came a week later to wipe the floor clean. Godzilla had a better date in which it allowed it to actually make a ton of money. I already knew the One Million Arm would have bombed spectacularly while the other film that premiered the day of had similar results. If anything, Legendary should have pushed it to November if it weren't for Mockingjay or December where there was little competition for films. However, how Godzilla did in comparison to other films last month, it did better than X-Men on its own first weekend and almost as good as Captain America.

Cloverfield was made on a low budget and did well, Godzilla 1998 would have done well in today's market, King Kong did OK, and so on.

Just make it a hard PG13 from a major studio and it will get away with what a soft R does.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Bigdog wrote: The only ones that were iffy were Pacific Rim and before. Jack the Giant Slayer didn't do well because the film was released on a horrible date between a successful month of comedies in February. While, Oz The Great and Powerful came a week later to wipe the floor clean. Godzilla had a better date in which it allowed it to actually make a ton of money. I already knew the One Million Arm would have bombed spectacularly while the other film that premiered the day of had similar results. If anything, Legendary should have pushed it to November if it weren't for Mockingjay or December where there was little competition for films. However, how Godzilla did in comparison to other films last month, it did better than X-Men on its own first weekend and almost as good as Captain America.

Cloverfield was made on a low budget and did well, Godzilla 1998 would have done well in today's market, King Kong did OK, and so on.

Just make it a hard PG13 from a major studio and it will get away with what a soft R does.
G98 probably wouldn't have done better in today's market if I had to guess, if it could even have done as well at all (adjusting for inflation). There's more competition and fast-spreading negative word of mouth, as others have pointed out, might have damaged it further - all countering the bigger global market and 3D.

King Kong was no flop, but expectations were set much higher. I think Universal themselves had implied they were hoping for a Lord of the Rings theatrical run, not surprising considering he tremendously lavish budget and likely marketing. Luckily home media helped it, and today 3D could've assisted it nicely,

Cloverfield was greatly successful, but as you accurately pointed out it was a mere $25M and had very different potential from the other movies here as a result. Still, I wonder if there's a market for a big budget sequel filmed traditionally. That's another thread though lol.

Too much money was spent on the Giant Slayer, it was released at a bad time, and the movie itself was generic IMO. It had nothing to do with people not liking giants if I had to guess, but I can see that excuse being used like the one provided for the decision to remove Mars from the John Carter title.

Pacific Rim was a global success but a domestic flop.

Godzilla has been a domestic and global success, eve counting the declines - other May movies had this too. Of course, it has name recognition among monsters that nothing other than King Kong. So there is that.

There's not much of a list of great successes, which saddens me.

Personally the rawness of AOT is part of its quality, something R can do. But maybe I'm being stubborn.
고질라

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

Tohosaurus wrote:
Bigdog wrote: The only ones that were iffy were Pacific Rim and before. Jack the Giant Slayer didn't do well because the film was released on a horrible date between a successful month of comedies in February. While, Oz The Great and Powerful came a week later to wipe the floor clean. Godzilla had a better date in which it allowed it to actually make a ton of money. I already knew the One Million Arm would have bombed spectacularly while the other film that premiered the day of had similar results. If anything, Legendary should have pushed it to November if it weren't for Mockingjay or December where there was little competition for films. However, how Godzilla did in comparison to other films last month, it did better than X-Men on its own first weekend and almost as good as Captain America.

G98 probably wouldn't have done better in today's market if I had to guess, if it could even have done as well at all (adjusting for inflation). There's more competition and fast-spreading negative word of mouth, as others have pointed out, might have damaged it further - all countering the bigger global market and 3D.

King Kong was no flop, but expectations were set much higher. I think Universal themselves had implied they were hoping for a Lord of the Rings theatrical run, not surprising considering he tremendously lavish budget and likely marketing. Luckily home media helped it, and today 3D could've assisted it nicely,

Cloverfield was greatly successful, but as you accurately pointed out it was a mere $25M and had very different potential from the other movies here as a result. Still, I wonder if there's a market for a big budget sequel filmed traditionally. That's another thread though lol.

Too much money was spent on the Giant Slayer, it was released at a bad time, and the movie itself was generic IMO. It had nothing to do with people not liking giants if I had to guess, but I can see that excuse being used like the one provided for the decision to remove Mars from the John Carter title.

Pacific Rim was a global success but a domestic flop.

Godzilla has been a domestic and global success, eve counting the declines - other May movies had this too. Of course, it has name recognition among monsters that nothing other than King Kong. So there is that.

There's not much of a list of great successes, which saddens me.

Personally the rawness of AOT is part of its quality, something R can do. But maybe I'm being stubborn.
That's true about G98, but let's also remember The Last Airbender. Despite the negative word of mouth, that film still netted its budget and then some. I'm not sure how much the marketing cost for TLA, but disregarding that, word of mouth only affects it a couple of weeks afterwards , after the money spent on it was pocketed by the studio. It's gargantuan marketing budget would have killed G98 in the water alongside the press, so I'd expect it to be like the reception of ASM 2 , but paired with an enormous marketing budget.

Also true. 3D would have made King Kong awesome in the fight sequences. It was made and released five years too early .

Cloverfield's issue is that the sequel factor would motivate Paramount to directly compete it against Godzilla, and if any of the traits from the original are kept, it would flop in the water. Unlike Paranormal Activity from the same studio, a giant monster film now would need to compete against Godzilla in action and actually seeing the creature. It's weak design compared to the whale fan-design marks itself as blander than its competition, but with nothing to really motivate much of a response towards. At best, its a monster that would fight against Godzilla and die quickly or be like Rodan or Anguirus. But not as a star of its own film without some changes to its design and feel.

I personally loved the Giant Slayer, actually, but not great at the planning. If Legendary is to make a sequel, they should just make a War of the Gargantuas remake, throw some explanation of their connection to Godzilla and previous film , and have them fight in London. Or at least, that was what I was expecting after it went back to the modern day. With Toho in Legendary's corner, this could make it work, but that's more of my huge bias towards that movie showing than objectivism. Throw Gargantuas into Godzilla sequel and "let them fight."

I've seen an episode of Attack on Titan and I honestly feel they should either motion capture the faces of the Japanese actors so they can appear to sync with the English voices, or just make a full-on American remake. Like FullMetal Alchemist, most or all of the characters I know are white Europeans, so we don't have any casting issues. Besides that, its already a summer blockbuster type of show and being like Jack the Giant Slayer mixed with Evangelion, it seems easy to work with. The issue is that Giant Slayer bombed , but if Godzilla promoted the profitability, I hope it did get released or remade in some form.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Bigdog wrote: That's true about G98, but let's also remember The Last Airbender. Despite the negative word of mouth, that film still netted its budget and then some. I'm not sure how much the marketing cost for TLA, but disregarding that, word of mouth only affects it a couple of weeks afterwards , after the money spent on it was pocketed by the studio. It's gargantuan marketing budget would have killed G98 in the water alongside the press, so I'd expect it to be like the reception of ASM 2 , but paired with an enormous marketing budget.

Also true. 3D would have made King Kong awesome in the fight sequences. It was made and released five years too early .

Cloverfield's issue is that the sequel factor would motivate Paramount to directly compete it against Godzilla, and if any of the traits from the original are kept, it would flop in the water. Unlike Paranormal Activity from the same studio, a giant monster film now would need to compete against Godzilla in action and actually seeing the creature. It's weak design compared to the whale fan-design marks itself as blander than its competition, but with nothing to really motivate much of a response towards. At best, its a monster that would fight against Godzilla and die quickly or be like Rodan or Anguirus. But not as a star of its own film without some changes to its design and feel.

I personally loved the Giant Slayer, actually, but not great at the planning. If Legendary is to make a sequel, they should just make a War of the Gargantuas remake, throw some explanation of their connection to Godzilla and previous film , and have them fight in London. Or at least, that was what I was expecting after it went back to the modern day. With Toho in Legendary's corner, this could make it work, but that's more of my huge bias towards that movie showing than objectivism. Throw Gargantuas into Godzilla sequel and "let them fight."

I've seen an episode of Attack on Titan and I honestly feel they should either motion capture the faces of the Japanese actors so they can appear to sync with the English voices, or just make a full-on American remake. Like FullMetal Alchemist, most or all of the characters I know are white Europeans, so we don't have any casting issues. Besides that, its already a summer blockbuster type of show and being like Jack the Giant Slayer mixed with Evangelion, it seems easy to work with. The issue is that Giant Slayer bombed , but if Godzilla promoted the profitability, I hope it did get released or remade in some form.
You certainly might be right about G98. And with King Kong, I had not thought about it that way before (released five years too early) but that actually makes perfect sense. I wish they could make some kind of sequel. With a reigned in budget (even today they shouldn't need to spend more than $200M on it) it shouldn't be difficult to make it successful.

Cloverfield is an interesting subject. In any case, you're right about numerous elements needing to be dropped, such as the found footage style (which I believe kept the budget way down, but I could be wrong), the hiding of the creature, etc. However, I do think the design can work on its own. My idea is more of "the events of 2008 were just the beginning" and there is a second Cloverfield monster, a second type of monster, and ultimately it's as if the world is turned on its side. The intensity and ominous tone, paired this some with an apolyptic feel on a global scale would give it a flare very different from Godzilla, yet hopefully appealing to those same audiences. With a snappy pace, plenty of action, and the apocalyptic tone it'd have potential.

I'm a huge fan of a Garguantuas remake, and Brad Pitt being a fan makes a great vehicle to hype up the film if he'd star in it. And I agree on AOT. I've thought the same about Claymore (another series I'd really like given a LA Hollywood treatment) because like AOT it's anime yet set in a sci-fi/fantasy period European region.

Anyhow I'm getting OT. A subject on which kaiju could be done by Hollywood would be a good thread.....
고질라

SoleMan
G-Grasper

Post by SoleMan »

Is Toho actually making this film? I thought they were only in distributing these days...

I liked that Whale design for Cloverfield, shame it was only a fan creation...though it goes to show fans have more imagination than actual Hollywood artists. That thing needs to be in a movie somewhere.
Before it can be filmed, drawn, acted or programed, it must be written.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

SoleMan wrote:Is Toho actually making this film? I thought they were only in distributing these days...

I liked that Whale design for Cloverfield, shame it was only a fan creation...though it goes to show fans have more imagination than actual Hollywood artists. That thing needs to be in a movie somewhere.
Toho is distributing it, but I think that's it. I'm not sure if they're financing any part of the production itself or if they will be involved in the production in other ways such as their special effects unit, etc. If someone else knows they can inform us.
고질라

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

I thought this was just speculation if they made. It I also thought that car ad was an made. But it still doesn't confirm the movie.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

ernesth100 wrote:I thought this was just speculation if they made. It I also thought that car ad was an made. But it still doesn't confirm the movie.
The movie was announced in 2012 and originally scheduled to be released in July 2013 but was delayed. There's a new director now, and I think he's the special effects director as well (and he was involved in the special effects of the Kaneko trilogy).
Last edited by Tohosaurus on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
고질라

ernesth100
E.S.P.Spy

Post by ernesth100 »

Oh yeah I love the Kenkeo trilogy.

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

I was initially uninterested because anime doesn't translate well into live action, in my opinion. But if Shinji Higuchi is involved, I'm a bit more interested.