Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.

Which would you prefer?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 19, 2014 11:54 am

Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus
75%
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
25%

Total votes: 32

KingKaiju
Futurian

Re: Godzilla X Varan, Baragon and Anguirus

Post by KingKaiju »

I used to wonder why they made King Ghidorah the way he was in this film, until I read that Kaneko wanted to showcase Godzilla's power. In that regard, I think it would've made a lot more sense to have Anguirus and Varan in there rather than Mothra and Ghidorah, who have traditionally been two of Godzilla's more powerful opponents. Reading that statement from Kaneko reminds me of Kevin Feige's mentality with Marvel villains. Responding to the complaint of bad villains, Feige said that the reason for that was because he wanted the movies' focus to be on the character, which makes sense.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

While I'm glad that GMK was made instead because it saved the Millennium series from ending too soon, I do think that Kaneko's original idea would have been a better movie. I wish that Varan and Anguirus were more popular at the time so that Toho wouldn't think that this idea would lead to a box office disappointment like Godzilla vs Megaguirus.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I'm kinda intrigued at how people would react at Anguirus having ice powers.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It would make Anguirus seem more mystical, but the extendable spikes would look more interesting in a fight. Maybe Anguirus plays dead, and when Godzilla approaches, Godzilla gets the point.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I like GMK a lot and this one has always sounded really cool, maybe one day this story will come back to us in some form

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 am I like GMK a lot and this one has always sounded really cool, maybe one day this story will come back to us in some form
That would be cool!

I say give Kaneko another go at it - use this original idea for the monsters with a fresh script penned by someone competent. Sever the timeline from 1954 or any other previous film. Maintain Godzilla's characterization from GMK as a scary, malicious bastard; keep Baragon around longer this time and give the other two kaiju appropriate updates. Crank the fantasy elements to 11 and give the plot a sense of mystery, with grounded characters we can care about. Give Kaneko a bigger budget (bigger than Shin too), more time and more creative freedom than with GMK. Get Shinji Higuchi back to use a true hybrid method of effects mixing suits, miniatures, and animatronics; with plenty of CGI when needed. Get Koh Otani back for an all-orcheastral score, and don't reuse any old themes (Ifukube or otherwise). Oh, and #MakeGodzillaMobileAgain.

...a man can dream, can't he?
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:16 am
ROMG4 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:05 am I like GMK a lot and this one has always sounded really cool, maybe one day this story will come back to us in some form
That would be cool!

I say give Kaneko another go at it - use this original idea for the monsters with a fresh script penned by someone competent. Sever the timeline from 1954 or any other previous film. Maintain Godzilla's characterization from GMK as a scary, malicious bastard; keep Baragon around longer this time and give the other two kaiju appropriate updates. Crank the fantasy elements to 11 and give the plot a sense of mystery, with grounded characters we can care about. Give Kaneko a bigger budget (bigger than Shin too), more time and more creative freedom than with GMK. Get Shinji Higuchi back to use a true hybrid method of effects mixing suits, miniatures, and animatronics; with plenty of CGI when needed. Get Koh Otani back for an all-orcheastral score, and don't reuse any old themes (Ifukube or otherwise). Oh, and #MakeGodzillaMobileAgain.

...a man can dream, can't he?
Right. I'm also curious about his Kamacuras and M ideas.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I didn’t know there was a thread for this. GAV would have been really cool. I grew up with the “hype” for this movie but didn’t actually get to see it until years later; my main takeaway as a kid was how much the designs reminded me of Japanese and Chinese folklore. I do think GAV would have advanced that with the addition of Anguirus and Varan, and I would have liked to see what their coloring and finished suits would have looked like.

If anything, I wish I could have lived on a timeline where I got a Bandai Anguirus, Baragon and Varan for Christmas all in one year.

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

In case anyone is interested or missed it, a complete translated draft for this movie has been posted on the main site and gives a bit more insight to how this version would have gone: https://www.tohokingdom.com/blog/kaneko ... anslation/

Overall, the story is pretty much what we got with the final product, a few tweaks here and there. One thing that I liked is that in this script it ever so briefly talks about the statues and shrines and how they relate to the Guardians. It would have definitely been cool to have Godzilla face all three at once, and I imagine that the fights would be a bit more fleshed out than what is mentioned in the script. In this one too, it looks like Varan and Anguirus have swapped places, with Anguirus being the "Big Final Guardian" as opposed to an earlier concept posted on the site. I also thing the idea of Varan attacking Godzilla with Sonic Booms and Anguirus being able to reflect Godzilla's beam back at him. One thing IMO that improved in GMK is when the guardians die they dont just simply melt, they turn into spirits/energy that has a role later on.

Anyone else taken a look or have any opinions on this?
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Someone should do a webcomic adaptation of this script, along with other aborted projects.

Ryu
Samurai

Post by Ryu »

LegendZilla wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:16 pm Someone should do a webcomic adaptation of this script, along with other aborted projects.
The situation is following LegendZilla.
I didn't mind adapting this version of the script into a comic. But there is a problem. The fair use. There is a gray line, where the IP owners turn a blind eye, and let the fans do their work. But godzilla belongs to Toho, and toho is Japanese. And in Japan there is no fair use. Remember the youtuber Totally Not Mark? The same situation. And the question is whether fans liked it. I didn't care that Todd Tennant finished his King kong vs Godzilla on g-fan. But that won't happen because of toho. Heck, I know artists who worked for marvel comics, who tried to adapt James Cameron Spider-man's final scripts. They failed due to copyright and studio legal nightmares. We've already been lucky that the script treatment has come out, and a fan has done illustrations. And that's luck of the world, where IP owners send lawyers with letters, ceasse and give up.
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

In my eyes, Varan would've been the perfect monster to be the last-man-standing monster for Godzilla to battle against simply because he is more intimidating than Anguirus and Baragon, at least to me. So I was a little surprised when Anguirus ended up being the last monster for Godzilla to kill.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

MothraRocks
Futurian

Post by MothraRocks »

CrimsonBloodX wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:36 pm In my eyes, Varan would've been the perfect monster to be the last-man-standing monster for Godzilla to battle against simply because he is more intimidating than Anguirus and Baragon, at least to me. So I was a little surprised when Anguirus ended up being the last monster for Godzilla to kill.
I agree, Varan just seems a bit more “last man standing” kind of guy in this format, since he also benefits from the inclusion of Anguirus’ cold and Baragon’s heat to have a stronger air current. On the other hand, having Anguirus as the final monster Godzilla fights in what was initially planned to be the last Godzilla movie is quite poetic, and the way they juiced him up makes him a worthy opponent. I really hope we someday get to see SOME kind of adaption if this, even though the chances of that are virtually none.
"And if something good can come from bad, the past can Rest In Peace."

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Considering Anguirus has had such a long relationship with Godzilla, making him the final foe makes sense. It's also rare to see Anguirus these days, so any role he can get is welcome.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

The movie should have been realized as it was meant to. Reading the story behind the movie on the main page made clear for me how much I want this movie. Even if GMK was not bad but the "original" script would have fullfilled my kaiju dreams. To have Anguirus and Varan back, no matter who would get the "last man standing" role is like a dream come true.

Toho thought Mothra and King Ghidorah were the most popular kaiju next to Godzilla that time. But even here in the forums Anguirus was elected the most popular kaiju of all time. I don´t know what Toho`s marketing management was thinking back in 2000/2001. They asked the worng people or they asked "just main stream fans"
Real fans love Anguirus and Varan too.
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gailah 1966 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:29 am The movie should have been realized as it was meant to. Reading the story behind the movie on the main page made clear for me how much I want this movie. Even if GMK was not bad but the "original" script would have fullfilled my kaiju dreams. To have Anguirus and Varan back, no matter who would get the "last man standing" role is like a dream come true.

Toho thought Mothra and King Ghidorah were the most popular kaiju next to Godzilla that time. But even here in the forums Anguirus was elected the most popular kaiju of all time. I don´t know what Toho`s marketing management was thinking back in 2000/2001. They asked the worng people or they asked "just main stream fans"
Real fans love Anguirus and Varan too.
There's a bit more to it than that. It wasn't an issue of fans not knowing who the monsters were, but general audiences, casual moviegoers. Kaneko mentioned that after Toho advised replacing Varan and Anguirus, he talked with some friends at a school reunion who had no idea who those monsters were, but were familiar with Mothra and King Ghidorah. Granted, Kaneko still tried to justify it as "It's not like you don't know who the monsters are, it's that you forgot who they are," but coupled with the fact he wanted to make a New Year's movie with a "festive" feel, this ended up helping to sway his decision (much to Shinada's dismay).
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Fans love Angilas here, but the reality is very different in Japan, where the monster has never been that popular.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:02 am Fans love Angilas here, but the reality is very different in Japan, where the monster has never been that popular.
I wonder why. Is it in part due to the fact he lacks any fantastical abilities and that he debuted in a rushed, mediocre sequel?

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:55 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 5:02 am Fans love Angilas here, but the reality is very different in Japan, where the monster has never been that popular.
I wonder why. Is it in part due to the fact he lacks any fantastical abilities and that he debuted in a rushed, mediocre sequel?
The character probably just never caught on.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:19 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:55 am
The character probably just never caught on.
Do you have anything against the character?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.