Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Postby eabaker » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 am

Stump Feet wrote:As bad as this movie was, it’s still leagues better than Against Mechagodzilla imo.

I'm in the opposite camp. I'm not a big fan of either, but Against Mechagodzilla establishes its characters better and has more of a structure.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:26 am

I like it just slightly better than Against Mechagodzilla. Again slightly better. Its still a largely forgettable film. Its just kinda there. Though it is weird how the new pilot just kinda pops into the narrative with little to no background or buildup.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:31 am

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I like it just slightly better than Against Mechagodzilla. Again slightly better. Its still a largely forgettable film. Its just kinda there. Though it is weird how the new pilot just kinda pops into the narrative with little to no background or buildup.

Always hated how we dropped the characters from the last movie. I have no problem with the mechanic but it would've been nice to at least have the same pilot and see the scientist again

GojiDog
JXSDF Technician

Postby GojiDog » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:38 am

Tokyo SOS has the best special effects of the Millennium films, so it has that going for it.

I also kind of liked how they tied things to the original Mothra film, including bringing Chujo back. That was a nice touch.

It was also kind of neat that basically the whole back half of the film was one long monster parade. It wasn't a handful of battles in different locations, but rather one really long and changing battle in one location, which was actually kind of neat.

Being honest, Against Mechagodzilla isn't one of my favorites, mainly because the movie didn't payoff most of what it had set up and barely stands on its own. This film, at least, tries to follow up on the Kiryu is alive idea and provide some closure to that. And at least the debate of whether or not it is even ethical to have this thing is handled a little better, as opposed to the last film where the only person arguing not to use Kiryu was a little girl who thought her dead mom was a plant. (Yeah I'm mean, sue me).

I guess if there is anything wrong with Tokyo SOS, it is that Mothra's inclusion in this film feels like a greatest hits album of her previous work. Basically almost everything she does in Mothra 61 and Mothra Vs. Godzilla 64 is repeated here in some way shape or form. I actually would have liked for there to be more of a payoff to Mothra's opposition to using undead Godzilla as a weapon by having her and Mechagodzilla actually fight at one point. That's never happened on screen and it would have been neat, and it would have given us a three way monster battle, as opposed to Godzilla Vs. Everybody, which we already saw in GMK.

Anguirus
G-Grasper

Postby Anguirus » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 am

I think the addition of Mothra added to the film for me, and made it one of my fave Godzilla films, unlike GXMG. The battle scenes I just love rewatching. To be honest, this and 2000 are the only Millennium films I can truly say I like.

Stump Feet
Futurian

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:28 pm

There's a behind the scenes photo or something like it somewhere that shows a wider shot of the kaiju DNA canisters at the end, if any of you could find it for me, I'm going to ask LSD Jellyfish to translate the Japanese text on each canister so we can find out who's DNA is at their disposal.

If any of you know what I'm talking about and could help me out, I'd really appreciate it.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”