Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. (2003)

Post by Mechagigan »

eabaker wrote:The effects in Godzilla movies are not supposed to be invisible effects; we're meant to know that they are effects, and to consciously respond to them as such. Most important, to me, is that the effects are used to create dynamic and beautiful images that contribute meaningfully to the tone and style of the movie.
The 70's have some great examples of how this is true - Godzilla Vs Gigan isn't a perfect movie, but there are some great shots of Gigan during the destruction scene. GvMG has the shot where MG attacks monsters on both sides, ToMG has a bunch of great shots with Titanosaurus and MG - none of these have absolutely stunning effects, but they're used well.

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Is the whole story about Anguirus being planned as the carcass that washes up true? It kinda sounds like one of those "Destoroyah was planned for FW" type rumors.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

GalacticPetey wrote:Is the whole story about Anguirus being planned as the carcass that washes up true? It kinda sounds like one of those "Destoroyah was planned for FW" type rumors.
It's true. The director confirmed it. He didn't use Anguirus because if he had been able to make another movie after SOS, he wanted the possibility of including Ang.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Cool. Thanks for confirming that. It's something I had always seen thrown around but I had never seen a source.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

eabaker wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:They're still visually pleasing, though.
I honestly find it pretty ugly. Personal aesthetic preferences.
I think the effects look nice, but the lighting and the fake looking skies are really ugly to me, especially in S.O.S.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tymon wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Space Hunter M wrote:They're still visually pleasing, though.
I honestly find it pretty ugly. Personal aesthetic preferences.
I think the effects look nice, but the lighting and the fake looking skies are really ugly to me, especially in S.O.S.
Yeah, the lighting is what really kills it for me.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

My entire life is a lie :lol:
I JUST found out that Kiryu doesn't go bezerk because of Godzilla 1954, Kiryu just becomes self-aware in this film. I always thought it was weird seeing that final message to the piolet when I thought Ogi-Goji was in control.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:My entire life is a lie :lol:
I JUST found out that Kiryu doesn't go bezerk because of Godzilla 1954, Kiryu just becomes self-aware in this film. I always thought it was weird seeing that final message to the piolet when I thought Ogi-Goji was in control.
And speaking of some kind of AI, that would've been awesome for them to really explore in the movies. It's more or less covered in the first Kiryu movie, but more as plot convenience than it is a real topic that could have added sophistication to the film. It was one of those premises that'd lend itself well to being a more intelligent sci-fi film rather than just an action one, and not too many Godzilla stories are quite like that.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

Did Godzilla die in Tokyo S.O.S.? I sure hope not because if you watch through the credits, he is still roaring while he is attached to Kiryu.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:Did Godzilla die in Tokyo S.O.S.? I sure hope not because if you watch through the credits, he is still roaring while he is attached to Kiryu.
The film is intentionally ambiguous, although given the history of the character I am personally confident that Godzilla survived.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

GODZILLA2877 wrote:Did Godzilla die in Tokyo S.O.S.? I sure hope not because if you watch through the credits, he is still roaring while he is attached to Kiryu.
I always assumed he was simply going into one of his regenerative sleeps and getting dumped at the bottom of the sea.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

What was the plan for that after credits stinger? I remember the rumors of a third film featuring a Godzilla Vs Godzilla plot with a organic clone of Godzilla.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

cloverfan98 wrote:What was the plan for that after credits stinger? I remember the rumors of a third film featuring a Godzilla Vs Godzilla plot with a organic clone of Godzilla.
I don't think there was any plan. It looks like the DNA samples are from different monsters, but the door closes to fast to let you read any of them. Or rather, the camera doesn't allow you to actually see the names, but you can catch the date to the one above Godzilla and it is a different date.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

I imagine it had to do with what became Final Wars, seeing as there was more than one DNA thing and the Kiryu universe already had multiple Kaiju in it that could've been used. Of course, the FW we got was unrelated, but I'm guessing there as originally ideas floating around that FW/50th Anniversary Monster Mash Movie could be apart of the Kiryu series.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

There was the image from page 39 of the Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.: Super Complete Works

http://www.tohokingdom.com/books/prev/g ... cw_p39.htm

There was much debate back in 2004, if that was what the DNA bank teaser was alluding too, and if that was part of a pitch for a third Kiryu movie for the 50th Anniversary.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

szmigiel wrote:There was the image from page 39 of the Godzilla X Mothra X Mechagodzilla: Tokyo S.O.S.: Super Complete Works

http://www.tohokingdom.com/books/prev/g ... cw_p39.htm

There was much debate back in 2004, if that was what the DNA bank teaser was alluding too, and if that was part of a pitch for a third Kiryu movie for the 50th Anniversary.
OMG we could have had MechaVaran and MechaEbira and instead we got mutant matrix X-Men in bad sunglasses? Bleah!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

We couldn't have wound up with anything, because there was never a plan to take the Kiryu storyline further than two films.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Not to mention the Kiryu saga wrapped up all the loose ends at the ending of TSOS so it's not like they had anywhere to go with it. The image was probably just an idea of something cool and was never really planned to be a film or something.

Also, I never really heard any theories on the post credit scene in TSOS. Does the shot of the Baragon clone confirm anything? If this is all true it makes me respect the Kiryu saga a lot more because it connects many films to the franchise that weren't previously cannon.

Edit, here's something from Anthony Romero's review showing this was pretty much just conjectured fan fiction:
"The most well remembered feature from this black and white section, though, are some drawings and concepts for a "fan fiction" style swing at extending the "Kiryu saga". The idea is fairly elaborate, using the DNA sequence from this movie's finale and the overall concept of Kiryu to create an army of mechs that include mechanized versions of Varan, Kamoeabs, Baragon, Kumonga, and others. Again, as it seems quite common for someone to see these images out of context and get the wrong idea, these concepts were never intended for an actual movie but more of a "what if" scenario for more ideas from this storyline."
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It wouldn't be the first time Toho has left a door slightly open. Whenever they kill Godzilla, they always do something to ensure his return.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

Legion1979 wrote:We couldn't have wound up with anything, because there was never a plan to take the Kiryu storyline further than two films.
Thank god...
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?