Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: What continuity does Godzilla: Final Wars take place in?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

eabaker wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum1 wrote:The Millenium series is quite well known for each movie being a direct sequel to the original 1954 film.
That's kind of an over-simplification. The only requirement was that each entry acknowledge (more-or-less) the events of the original movie, but beyond that they were pretty much free to acknowledge or ignore anything else.

Very true. Like in Godzilla x Megaguirus, for example, we see that the 1954 Godzilla and the current Godzilla are one and the same. Therefore it can’t be fully canon with the 1954 film, because that film shows a very different looking Godzilla who dies at the end. Instead, Godzilla x Megaguirus is canon with past events that are implied to be very similar to the 1954 film.

Genjira Overwatch
Samurai

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by Genjira Overwatch »

I honestly feel like it could be a continuation of the Showa or Heisei lines. Showa because literally every Showa kaiju is in it, and Heisei because of how high tech the human weaponry is, and because Godzilla himself looks strikingly like Godzilla Jr. as an adult.
Am I still on? Er, well, we now return you to... Whatever it was you were doing....
Idiots.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Wasn't Godzilla Final Wars originally meant to be a sequel to Godzilla vs Destoroyah? But those connections were dropped at some point during production. I remember reading this somewhere, although I can't recall where at the moment.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

kamilleblu wrote:Wasn't Godzilla Final Wars originally meant to be a sequel to Godzilla vs Destoroyah? But those connections were dropped at some point during production. I remember reading this somewhere, although I can't recall where at the moment.
Don't think that was ever the case. Sounds like revisionist history from folks who still stamp their feet and insist that Godzilla is Junior in this film.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Wasn't Godzilla Final Wars originally meant to be a sequel to Godzilla vs Destoroyah? But those connections were dropped at some point during production. I remember reading this somewhere, although I can't recall where at the moment.
Don't think that was ever the case. Sounds like revisionist history from folks who still stamp their feet and insist that Godzilla is Junior in this film.
I've seen "Shogo Tomiyama said so in an old G-Fan article," but I've never seen the article nor seen it cited online. I don't even know what issue it's supposed to be in. I have most of them up through 75 and I'm pretty sure it's not in any issue I've read.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

The only Millennium movie that have any connection to a Showa movie other than the original would be the Kiryu saga, which doesn't even bring in other Godzilla movies but rather stuff like Gargantuas and Yog. None of them are connected to anything Heisei.

I think Toho's done with the Heisei continuity and future talent won't revisit that series. Frankly Showa Godzilla outside of the original movie probably aren't much more likely either.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Godzilla1998Fan
Ronin

Post by Godzilla1998Fan »

I need confirmation about this but i once read that Anguirus, Rodan, and King Caesar were suppose help out Godzilla during the final battle with Keizer Ghidorah & that there's stock images during the making of film of them appearing with Godzilla.

I dunno if this is true or not but i honestly would've loved to see 4 v 1 against Keizer Ghidorah as it's a nice call back to destroy all monsters except only this time Keizer Ghidorah is way more powerful & would have been interesting to see Anguirus, Rodan, and King Caesar fight without being controlled.
Don't let my username fool you as i'm a fan of both Godzilla & Godzilla 1998 & yes i refer to him as Godzilla not zilla. :D

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzilla1998Fan wrote:I need confirmation about this but i once read that Anguirus, Rodan, and King Caesar were suppose help out Godzilla during the final battle with Keizer Ghidorah & that there's stock images during the making of film of them appearing with Godzilla.

I dunno if this is true or not but i honestly would've loved to see 4 v 1 against Keizer Ghidorah as it's a nice call back to destroy all monsters except only this time Keizer Ghidorah is way more powerful & would have been interesting to see Anguirus, Rodan, and King Caesar fight without being controlled.
Almost positive that's not true. Actually, there were plans for Godzilla to straight-up nuke 'em with his ray after their fight!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godzilla1998Fan
Ronin

GigaBowserG wrote:
Godzilla1998Fan wrote:I need confirmation about this but i once read that Anguirus, Rodan, and King Caesar were suppose help out Godzilla during the final battle with Keizer Ghidorah & that there's stock images during the making of film of them appearing with Godzilla.

Almost positive that's not true. Actually, there were plans for Godzilla to straight-up nuke 'em with his ray after their fight!
Yeah i know about that alternate end for them but i'm really glad they didn't go with it as Godzilla was just playing with them during their "fight" & wasn't trying to kill them. :D

I would much rather have them in that rumored 4 v 1 fight against Keizer Ghidorah which i questioned earlier. :P
Last edited by Godzilla1998Fan on Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't let my username fool you as i'm a fan of both Godzilla & Godzilla 1998 & yes i refer to him as Godzilla not zilla. :D

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla1998Fan wrote: Yeah i know about that alternate end for them but i'm really glad they didn't go with it as Godzilla was just playing with them during their "fight" & wasn't trying to kill them. :D
Fan-theory. Not true. Every monster in GFW is an enemy.

They didn't want to destroy the suits because they still had promotional use.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Did the Xilians play a hand in Gigan’s mummified body being discovered or was it just plot convenience that he washed up, and shortly after the Xilians showed up?

Added in 6 minutes 33 seconds:
Genjira Overwatch wrote:Godzilla himself looks strikingly like Godzilla Jr. as an adult.
No he doesn’t. At all.
Careful, you’ll strain yourself reaching that far.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Did the Xilians play a hand in Gigan’s mummified body being discovered or was it just plot convenience that he washed up, and shortly after the Xilians showed up?
The film doesn't explain, really. I think the latter is supposed to be implied.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

This is speculation, but seeing as the Shobijin show up shortly afterward (and apparently had much to do with Gigan being entombed in the first place), I wonder if they were actually the ones that unearthed it- sensing the coming invasion and trying to warn humanity of the impending threat (and give them evidence enough that they'd take it seriously).
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzilla1998Fan
Ronin

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla1998Fan wrote: Yeah i know about that alternate end for them but i'm really glad they didn't go with it as Godzilla was just playing with them during their "fight" & wasn't trying to kill them. :D

Meh sometimes fan theory is better than actuality :? .

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla1998Fan wrote: Meh sometimes fan theory is better than actuality :? .
That doesn't mean you should go around parading it as canon.

Godzilla1998Fan
Ronin

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla1998Fan wrote: Meh sometimes fan theory is better than actuality :? .
That doesn't mean you should go around parading it as canon.
Okay then. :P

UltimateDitto
EDF Instructor

Post by UltimateDitto »

UltramanGoji wrote:

Well I mean the they kept blowing up and cutting up the Gigan suit. In real life, i believe it was just a sign of respect to keep Godzilla's past allies alive and not blow them to smithereens.
Last edited by UltimateDitto on Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"There's no respect for Legendary Godzilla on this site. None. Bemular? Really?" - Juan, 2019

Tournament stats: 2 wins - 3 losses
I ♡ Image

Godzilla1998Fan
Ronin

UltimateDitto wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:

Well I mean the they kept blowing up and cutting up the Gigan suit. In real life, i believe it was just a sign of respect to keep Godzilla's past allies alive and not blow them to smithereens.
I wish i can like comments on here. :huge:

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Anybody else really like X's voice in the dub? I typically don't like the Heisei and Millennium dubs (G2K aside), but I thought his voice was really fitting and the actor sounded like he was having a good time with it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Agreed. I actually kind of enjoyed him more than his Japanese counterpart.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!