Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:48 pm The Showa Godzillas and GFW have quite a few similar plot elements but there aren't many more similarities between them. It owes so much more to contemporary Hollywood films, which is one reason I find it almost intolerable.
Yup, it's a handful of kaiju movie trappings grafted onto a typically ugly, hyperactive mid-2000s action flick. It's like Ecks vs. Sever if they were both giants.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Lesko wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm I like FW not sure why it gets a lot. Ok well not really I can definitely see why some hate it. If you just appreciate it for what it is, a nonsensical Showa celebration than there is some entertainment value. Sure the human stuff is beyond crazy with lasers and martial arts flying around not to mention the whole mutant thing just makes it feel like fan fiction gone wild. However the fights themselves are entertaining even though they are extremely goofy and certainly feel rushed at times. You can tell they tried to cram as much kaiju in this as possible which actually adds to the fast pace of the movie. I don't think longer and more drawn out fights would really fit in with the spirit of this entry anyways. We got to see a lot of our favorite Showa kaiju again after not seeing them for a long time and not going to see them for a long time afterwards. Of course there are tiny references sprinkled all throughout. My personal favorite being the shot at Gamera and how Godzilla didn't kill the three kaiju that are well known to be his allies.
Actually, I think the original intention was to have a scene in the film showing all three of them being killed all at once by Godzilla firing a blast of his atomic heat ray on them while they were still unconscious and causing them to explode, but it was never filmed due to Toho wanting to use the three suits for promotional purposes.
Last edited by mikelcho on Wed May 12, 2021 5:08 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

mikelcho wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm
Lesko wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm I like FW not sure why it gets a lot. Ok well not really I can definitely see why some hate it. If you just appreciate it for what it is, a nonsensical Showa celebration than there is some entertainment value. Sure the human stuff is beyond crazy with lasers and martial arts flying around not to mention the whole mutant thing just makes it feel like fan fiction gone wild. However the fights themselves are entertaining even though they are extremely goofy and certainly feel rushed at times. You can tell they tried to cram as much kaiju in this as possible which actually adds to the fast pace of the movie. I don't think longer and more drawn out fights would really fit in with the spirit of this entry anyways. We got to see a lot of our favorite Showa kaiju again after not seeing them for a long time and not going to see them for a long time afterwards. Of course there are tiny references sprinkled all throughout. My personal favorite being the shot at Gamera and how Godzilla didn't kill the three kaiju that are well known to be his allies.
Actually, I think the original intention was to have a scene in the film showing all three of them being killed all at once by Godzilla firing a blast of his atomic heat ray on them while they were still unconscious and causing them to explode, but it was never filmed due to Toho wanting to use the three suits for promotional purposes.
Really? That is very interesting. Although that is an amazing coincidence that three monsters known to be allies of Godzilla were the only ones to never shown to be killed. Could that have perhaps been a secondary reason?

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Lesko wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:33 pm
mikelcho wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:19 pm
Really? That is very interesting. Although that is an amazing coincidence that three monsters known to be allies of Godzilla were the only ones to never shown to be killed. Could that have perhaps been a secondary reason?
I honestly don't know about that last part, but I can tell you where to find the basis for my statement: the Cut Scenes section in the TK article for this film in the Movies category.
Last edited by mikelcho on Mon May 17, 2021 9:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I saw it last night on COMET and Gigan must have secretly been a Sentai actor, with his 'pose with blades crossed as the explosion happens behind him' thing occurred. Then he died, but whatever...

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Compared to the anime films this one doesn't seem as bad anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still terrible, but at least it's entertaining. Sometimes.

Rando Yaguchi
G-Force Personnel

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:22 am Compared to the anime films this one doesn't seem as bad anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still terrible, but at least it's entertaining. Sometimes.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Misato stans just built different.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Legion1979 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:22 am Compared to the anime films this one doesn't seem as bad anymore. Don't get me wrong, it's still terrible, but at least it's entertaining. Sometimes.
4 years too late ;)

I think in a similar fashion though, KOTM became a lightning rod for aspects of the franchise I dislike. KOTM has all the dumbness that GFW has, but tries to pretend it has some grander or greater meaning.

Despite my current disdain for the film, until suits are used again, this film will be stuck in my memory as the last major Godzilla film to use suits, and the end of an era. There is that aspect of the film I can appreciate.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

attilagodzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by attilagodzilla »

I rewatched it recently. And it is a terrible movie. But a terrible movie I love.
one of the few Godzilla fans from holland
Top 5 godzilla movies:
Gojira
Shin Godzilla
GMK
Godzilla vs mechagodzilla 1974
Ghidorah the 3 headed monster

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Loved it as a 13 year old. Spent my 20s hating it.

Now at 30...I have to say I really love the insanity. In the same way I ebbed and flowed on the early 70s films, so to have I on this one.

There is a flavor of Godzilla for every day of the year. The serious stuff is great, the PG-13 blockbuster stuff is great, and yes...the corny and wacky insanity occupies its own greatness.

Is Godzilla teaming up with a sentient giant robot to fight a giant beatle-cricket and a giant space-chicken the dumbest thing ever? Or is it sublime visual artistry?

Likewise, Godzilla: Final Wars works insanely well as a retro-film harkening back to the 70s but also as a gung-ho flashback to the mid-00s.

The soundtrack is catchy as all hell most of the time, the movie has a little bit of everything, and frankly...between all of the super fights, martial arts, and powerups feels much more "Anime" than the ACTUAL Godzilla anime that have been made. Hell, if this film had been done as an anime it would probably be an absolute fan-favorite.

Plus, Japanese Suitmation Godzilla decimating CGI American Godzilla to the tune of Sum 41's "We're All to Blame" is Pure Kino as far as I'm concerned.

It is relentless and unapologetic in being EXACTLY what it is. I love it for that and in the ocean of Godzilla films it truly is a one-of-a-kind, which is something special.

[Insert Thanos "Perhaps I judged you too harshly" meme]
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

^ Perhaps I have… if I enjoy stuff like the first 3 Bayformers films, I think I can bear this one.

If I want a film to hate, I think I’ll just continue to bag on SpaceGodzilla.
For Emperor and Empire!

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

I really don't get why some fans have these tortured attitudes towards the quality of the Godzilla movies and construct elaborate narratives about the evolution of the franchise to justify liking certain entries in the series while exaggeratedly hating others.

Every Godzilla movie is good, except for Tokyo SOS.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Ivo-goji wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:19 am I really don't get why some fans have these tortured attitudes towards the quality of the Godzilla movies and construct elaborate narratives about the evolution of the franchise to justify liking certain entries in the series while exaggeratedly hating others.

Every Godzilla movie is good, except for Tokyo SOS.
I don't appreciate this slander. Especially one that thinks All Monsters Attack is a good movie :lol:

Personally not sure why FW still gets people salty here to this day. It's a fun popcorn kaiju flick that doesn't pretend it is anything more, and given how many Godzilla films people appreciate for doing what they set out to do it is sad that same energy isn't extended here.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

godjacob wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:08 am
I don't appreciate this slander. Especially one that thinks All Monsters Attack is a good movie :lol:
I mean, Godzilla's Revenge isn't very high on my list of favorite kaiju movies, it's takes a lot of mental fortitude to watch it and appreciate it's ideas. But it's not as purely potboilery as Tokyo SOS.
Personally not sure why FW still gets people salty here to this day. It's a fun popcorn kaiju flick that doesn't pretend it is anything more, and given how many Godzilla films people appreciate for doing what they set out to do it is sad that same energy isn't extended here.
I know right? Like people constantly tell me such and such Godzilla film is "worse" than than Godzilla vs Megalon or the like because the latter films "succeed at being exactly what they're intended be". By that logic Final Wars is the greatest cinematic masterpiece ever made by human hands.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

IMO GFW is aesthetically much closer to a 2000s Hollywood action movie than any previous Godzilla movie. OK, yeah, there are still guys in rubber monster costumes, and the plot owes a lot to Monster Zero and the other alien invasion Godzilla movies; but everything else from its score to its color grading to its editing to its production design (and virtually all else in between) is very much of a kind of movie that I can't enjoy. I hated it when it was new, but I was also a angsty teenager back then -- I've cooled on it a lot in the years since, and I think the fact it's no longer the last Godzilla movie (or even last Japanese Godzilla movie) helped me accept it for what it is.

But I still don't like it: if it weren't a Godzilla movie, it's just not the kind of flick I'd ever watch.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

As an homage to past films, it does work. If you were to take away the Matrix and action film elements, you'd have an old school Godzilla film that brings back all the old friends and enemies of Godzilla.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

edgaguirus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:31 pm As an homage to past films, it does work. If you were to take away the Matrix and action film elements, you'd have an old school Godzilla film that brings back all the old friends and enemies of Godzilla.
Well, at the very least, if you were to to take away the Matrix and action film elements, you'd be left with a very brief highlight reel featuring the old friends and enemies of Godzilla.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 am
edgaguirus wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:31 pm As an homage to past films, it does work. If you were to take away the Matrix and action film elements, you'd have an old school Godzilla film that brings back all the old friends and enemies of Godzilla.
Well, at the very least, if you were to to take away the Matrix and action film elements, you'd be left with a very brief highlight reel featuring the old friends and enemies of Godzilla.
Still more screen time than the monsters got in Destroy All Monsters.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:34 pm IMO GFW is aesthetically much closer to a 2000s Hollywood action movie than any previous Godzilla movie.
Exactly, I completely agree. Except that this is one of the reasons I loved it as a kid, but it fell out of favor as I grew older.

Rewatching it as a 28 year old, its a fun movie. I actually really enjoyed the alien plot in the first third of the film as well.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

godjacob wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:12 am
eabaker wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 am
Still more screen time than the monsters got in Destroy All Monsters.
Oh lord...

First off, Final Wars is a much longer movie than Destroy all Monsters and features more monsters. Secondly, the Tokyo attack and final Mt Fuji battle in DAM are easily better and LONGER effects sequences than anything in FW, regardless of monster screen time.