Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Postby Grievous » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:42 pm

goji89 wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I too thought Kitamura achieved what he wanted: get the Godzilla stuff out of the way as quickly as possible to get back to his high concept Hollywood action movie training project.

I agree with this sooo much my teeth hurt.

:shock:

You might want to get that checked out...
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Stump Feet
Interpol Agent

Postby Stump Feet » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:05 am

I tried to rewatch this last night for the first time since 2006. I ended up getting to the Ebirah rampage scene and absolutely couldn’t handle it any longer and turned it off.

I don’t remember it being that unbearable but Jesus Christ…
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

DirektorSplennic
Interpol Agent

Postby DirektorSplennic » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:36 am

Stump Feet wrote:I tried to rewatch this last night for the first time since 2006. I ended up getting to the Ebirah rampage scene and absolutely couldn’t handle it any longer and turned it off.

I don’t remember it being that unbearable but Jesus Christ…

That makes me sad because I thoroughly enjoy the movie every time I watch it. I guess I'm just easy to please.

Also I saw Grievous at the top of this thread, and for a moment I got the heebie jeebies and thought he somehow came back, but then I realized it was an old post. :lol:
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

Stump Feet
Interpol Agent

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:43 am

That’s funny because I thought I remembered enjoying the film decently back in the day around when it first came out but I guess it just didn’t hold up for me, the human narrative started getting on my nerves and the monster scenes I thought were kinda cool just seemed lacking now.
Long Live The Sting

Godzillian
Kwaidan

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:45 am

This film always comes off as a Godzilla film written by middle schoolers to me

Stump Feet
Interpol Agent

Postby Stump Feet » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am

Godzillian wrote:This film always comes off as a Godzilla film written by middle schoolers to me

I think this chalks up my recent viewing perfectly. Really can’t describe it any more accurately than this.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Unit~NoA
JXSDF Technician

Postby Unit~NoA » Mon Jul 15, 2019 12:29 pm

It's definitely a film by Michael Bay, if he were to ever do one.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:08 pm

Unit~NoA wrote:It's definitely a film by Michael Bay, if he were to ever do one.

While there's a similar hyperactive quality to Bay's work and Kitamura's, they're very different filmmakers. Bay tneds to pack his frame with elements of interest, so that wherever you look on screen something is going on, but the compositions are very busy. Kitamura tends to focus more on a single character/object/action in each shot, making for a cleaner visual style, but also a less textured one.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
E.S.P.Spy

Postby LSD Jellyfish » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:21 pm

eabaker wrote:
Unit~NoA wrote:It's definitely a film by Michael Bay, if he were to ever do one.

While there's a similar hyperactive quality to Bay's work and Kitamura's, they're very different filmmakers. Bay tneds to pack his frame with elements of interest, so that wherever you look on screen something is going on, but the compositions are very busy. Kitamura tends to focus more on a single character/object/action in each shot, making for a cleaner visual style, but also a less textured one.

You can also actually tell what`s going on and for better or worse the film is clearly "stylized". There`s a consistent internal logic to it.
_JNavs_ wrote:The MV is like cheap imitation crabmeat, it tastes good, but it isn't real, while Shin is kino peak Japanese performance.

eabaker
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby eabaker » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:25 pm

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
eabaker wrote:

You can also actually tell what`s going on and for better or worse the film is clearly "stylized". There`s a consistent internal logic to it.

For sure. Bay crowds his scenes with so much visual information, it can be really difficult to focus on anything in particular.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Return to “Millennium Series (1999-2015)”