Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Godnose
Samurai

Re: Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to leas

Post by Godnose »

1. Godzilla against Mechagodzilla
2. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus
3. Godzilla: Final Wars
4. Godzilla 2000: Millennium
5. Godzilla: Tokyo S.O.S
6. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

I see we're getting a lot of contrarians putting GMK at the bottom. I can understand it not being everyone's favorite, but the millennium series as a whole is so...uninspiring that it's hard for me to envision how someone could put it behind Final Wars, the weaker Tezuka films and Godzilla 2000. Aside from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (which I am glad is receiving a lot of love here, truly an underrated film in the franchise), it's the only Millennium film I'd defend as a genuinely well-made film that features Shusuke Kaneko and Shinji Higuchi at their best.

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

1. Godzilla: Final Wars
2. Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
3. Godzilla 2000
4. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
5. Tokyo S.O.S.
6. Godzilla vs. Megaguirus

They're all so good. It's hard to rank them. I guess it depends on my mood.
Monsters are the real people.

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

1. SOS
2. GMK
3. GxMG
4. G2k
5. GFW
6. GxM

GodzillavsJason
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsJason »

1. Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
2. GMK
3. Godzilla 2000
4. Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
5. Godzilla: Final Wars
6. Godzilla vs Megagurius
52 wins and 27 loses
TK's Number 1 Fan of Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Evil Dead, The Thing, and Red vs Blue!

Futurian

Post by 3000 »

1. GMK
2. G x Mechagodzilla
3. Godzilla Tokyo SOS
4. Godzilla 2000
5. Godzilla x Megaguirus
6. Final Wars
Member of TK Since 2006

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

GMK - Great characters, even better monsters, and one of the most original movies in the whole series.

GFW - Very shallow characters and a very 'fake' feeling to it all, but at least fun for it's monster scenes and neat redesigns. For what it lacks in quality (which is a lot), it has in keeping your attention (or at least, interested).

G2K - Only the US version. The characters were unique (though, again, kind of shallow), Godzilla looked better than ever; but, Orga and pretty much all the special effects beyond Godzilla himself were very low-quality. The Japanese cut is a completely different story.

Tokyo SOS - Basic in every way, but fun because - hey, you get what you probably wanted. Monsters fighting. But, the characters are all - again - basic, and the story feels more like something for an episode than for a full-length movie.

GxM - Slow and full of techo-babble, but at least the Monster scenes are pretty enjoyable.

GxMG - Even slower and even more techno-babble-y, but with boring characters stacked on top of that.

Just to be clear, I'm not a huge fan of the Millenium movies - hence why Final Wars, of all movies, got #2.

Bigdog
JXSDF Technician

Post by Bigdog »

1. Godzilla 2000- As a reboot and one of the first films I seen in theaters, I love it. Don't remember it then, but I knew I did because it was the same time Rush Hour was released or a Jackie Chan film. Special effects ,story and pacing were far above the Showa period.
2. G x Mechagodzilla: The first I seen of on DVD. It's like watching an anime like Gundam , but with major super robot elements. First Godzilla bonds with girl, and they fight new Godzilla.
3. Final Wars: While I loved the fight choreography, the return of dynamic monster fights lost in the franchise, and the memorable characters the series seemed to lack for the most part, Final Wars still had a few too many monsters. Skipping ones like Biollante, under focusing on Hedorah, and turning Godzilla 1998 into a terrible one sided fight marked it as number 4 on my list. Minilla's subplot detracted a bit too much and could've been used for more time of other monsters.
Overall, Monster X was a fantastic new monster that should've been left as-is, though the Ghidorah was okay, it felt contrived. Mothra again has became overrated.

4. Godzilla Tokyo SOS- The tacked on sequel status to Mothra didn't really make me care for it at all, when I felt Biollante,Orga,Spacegodzilla, Bagan or King Caesar would've been better contenders for the spot. Referring to a film that I never heard about or watched, let alone had no access to, killed much of my interest early on. By this point, I honestly got tired of Mothra, which is why I was happy she was killed off so quickly in Final Wars. MechaGodzilla's strengths were all gone in this movie, as most of the characters were gone from the previous, losing the dynamic that made it very awesome. Like the girl and her Not Biollante plant?

5. GMK: While the story's okay, I really don't like the choice of monsters and how tacked on it all felt. The suits were mediocre, but the fight between Baragon and Godzilla was great. Anything else beyond that point honestly doesn't impress me, like Kaneko did with the Gamera films a few years earlier. The Guardian monsters were just shoe ins that weakened the overall story, even if it was experimentation, adding too much bloat and exposition that really wasn't needed. Ghidroah as a hero wasn't bad, but Ghidorah, the fat Middle Aged Monster? I couldn't take that thing seriously as Baragon. I don't really mind Godzilla's girth because he reminds me more of a weathered veteran. But scary , none of them were, despite all intents. It tried to be Daimajin and Gojira at the same time, and suffered.

6. Godzilla x Megaguirus: Crappy suit recoloring, boring story and mediocre characters that are only saved from an insect enemy that's not related to Mothra, but to Rodan's creature. Great premise and monster held back by filmmaking that leaves Godzilla 1998 as a superior film to boot.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Millennium Godzilla film favorites from greatest to least!

Post by Terasawa »

GMK

And then the rest are all middling to bad entries, IMO.

GxMG - Well made but just doesn't interest me a whole lot.
G2k/GxM - I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the former and kinda come around on the latter to the point that they're pretty even.
SOS - Starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel here...
GFW - Just not my cup of tea.

Sorry for the necro-post, I got the idea to look for this thread after looking through its Heisei Series counterpart.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

GMK
GxMG
G2K
Tokyo SOS
GFW
GxM
For Emperor and Empire!

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

1. Godzilla: Final Wars. 4.6/5
2. Godzilla Against MechaGodzilla. 4/5
3. Godzilla x Mothra x MechaGodzilla: Tokyo SOS. 4/5
4. Godzilla Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All Out Attack. 4/5
5. Godzilla 2000: Millennium. 3.7/5
6. Godzilla vs Megaguirus: The G Annihilation Strategy. 2.9/5
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Godzilla: Tokyo SOS
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla, Mothra and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack
Godzilla vs Megaguirus
Godzilla: Final Wars
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

1: GFW. I just unabashedly love this movie. I understand everyone's disliking and critiques of it, and I can't really genuinely refute them. But I love watching monsters fight, I love Captain Gordon, I enjoy the art design, and the music is unique (For Godzilla) and I love it. One of my favorite films.
2: Tokyo SOS. Kiryu is very close to being my favorite MG (Its super close with Showa MG). I prefer the minor changes done to him here versus GxMG, Mothra was a welcome addition (and my hands-down favorite design of her), and I personally find the movie really enjoyable.
3. GxMG. It' s a better film than Tokyo SOS, but I simply just enjoy Tokyo SOS more. Not really any real explanation to be honest. They're very close regardless.
4. Godzilla 2000. I love the cinematagrophy of this film, and Godzilla 2000 is a great design. Frankly, I have no complaints, I just like to watch monsters beat the crap out of each other, something this movie doesn't have much of.
5. GvM. Honestly, this movie is alright. I just like the final fight more than GMK. The final fight is great
6. GMK......I just don't like this movie. Blasphemy, I know, but I don't enjoy the writing nor the aspects involving monsters (design, action). I don't find the movie very enjoyable. I do appreciate, however, that Godzilla is the embodiment of all the souls killed by the Japanese during WWII, something the Japanese to this day will not confront
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

Logan268
G-Grasper

Post by Logan268 »

GMK
GFW
Tokyo SOS
GxM
GXMG
Godzilla 2000

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

GMK – 8/10. My third favorite Godzilla film.
G2K - 7/10. The first non-Showa Godzilla film I ever watched. A ton of nostalgic value.
GxMG - 7/10. Hosts one of my favorite human characters and plotlines in the series.
Tokyo SOS - 5/10. Huge drop in quality here. It's not terrible or anything, but it's overall a fairly unmemorable experience.
GxM - 4/10. I LOVE Megaguirus herself, but her movie has always been a little tough for me to get through.
GFW - 3/10. Dumb as hell, but fun if you're in the right mindset. I'll watch it over GvKG, Godzilla's Revenge, and GvSG, though, even if the former two are technically better movies. And I'll definitely take it over the anime trilogy. X_X
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gojira1604
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gojira1604 »

Godzilla Final Wars
GMK
Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla
Godzilla 2000
Godzilla Tokyo SOS
Godzilla X Megaguirus
Also 1998 feels like it should be a Millennium era movie considering g2k came out so soon & reactionary to it in addition to the animated series being released during the early 2000s. Plus Zilla's appearance in Final Wars & mention in GMK. 98 feels like it definitively left Heisei behind & continued to have a presence over the Millennium films.

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:20 pm GMK

And then the rest are all middling to bad entries, IMO.

GxMG - Well made but just doesn't interest me a whole lot.
G2k/GxM - I've lost a lot of enthusiasm for the former and kinda come around on the latter to the point that they're pretty even.
SOS - Starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel here...
GFW - Just not my cup of tea.

Sorry for the necro-post, I got the idea to look for this thread after looking through its Heisei Series counterpart.
I have a higher opinion of GxMG, but ultimately I agree with this ranking.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I loved GxMG as a kid, but haven’t really had the urge to watch it in a while. My go to films in the millennium era are GMK and G2K.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GFW and GMK tied for first, I love them equally but for very different reasons. Following them:
G2K, GXM, GXMG, SOS.
The Kiryu dulogy are possibly my least favorite Godzilla films. I think they have fantastic designs, FX and score but the stories are so bland and surface-level fan servicey. I think it's crazy the fanbases seems to embrace the Kiryu films and shun Megaguirus which is a much better entry in the series imo.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:00 am GFW and GMK tied for first, I love them equally but for very different reasons. Following them:
G2K, GXM, GXMG, SOS.
The Kiryu dulogy are possibly my least favorite Godzilla films. I think they have fantastic designs, FX and score but the stories are so bland and surface-level fan servicey. I think it's crazy the fanbases seems to embrace the Kiryu films and shun Megaguirus which is a much better entry in the series imo.
Megaguirus is just bad IMO. The protagonist isn’t very likeable, the effects are just plain bad (strings come to mind), the recolouration of the Godzilla suit is a bad choice, and so much more I could go on about.

To each their own, I guess :shrug:
Last edited by Voyager on Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!