Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
LSD Jellyfish

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus (2000)

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:16 am I enjoy Megaguiris more than the Kiryu films honestly. I think the Kiryu films are more polished, with much better FX, but... the take on Godzilla in Megaguiris is awesome. The climactic fight is great. I also really like the miniature work during the RPG assault by the G-grapsers. (that miniature garbage can for instance)
Everybody talks about the Tail Slide Dropkick Maneuver, but nobody talks about the pure cinematic bliss of...
The Big Jump
The issue with the Kiryu Saga is it apes too hard or formulaic nostalgia, especially Tokyo Sos. Like "oh Mothra dies, the twins avenge her". Megagurius plays into nostalgia a bit, but GxMG works well.
Rodan95 wrote:The Shobijin are sat on by a fatass explorer and killed. Mothra is pissed and destroys Japan.

Lesko
Samurai

Post by Lesko »

While I find this movie to be horribly lackluster the actions scenes we get with the monsters are actually pretty damn good. We don't get to see many opponents that actually cause Godzilla to require to need to think more strategically rather than just bashing or blasting his opponent apart. I am a big fan of the Meganulon since Rodan so I really like their reappearance here especially in the form of Megaguirus. I think the movie's base concept is fine but this was just executed poorly. If more time was spent making some of the filler scenes mean something and make Megaguirus look less stiff this could have been something special. Instead this just seems like an attempt to get a Godzilla movie going that led into GxMG. Moreoever unlike GxMG Godzilla feels much more like Godzilla should. We just don't see him nearly enough. Still as the poster above me mentioned we got that epic body slam scene as well as a freakin black hole gun.

MogeGoji1994
Samurai

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

Honestly I really love Megaguirus. While she can be a little stiff, I think her design and concept is awesome. And don't get me started on the roar. Actually, the millennium era just has outstanding roars overall.

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

I'm going to be honest when I say that I love this movie and find it insanely easy to watch. Love that Megaguirus is really just a Meganulon reimagined into something completely refreshing, not too dissimilar to Heisei Moguera. Love the touch of sci-fi in this movie with the dimension tide and the Griffon VTOL. Also gotta note how entertaining the final fight in this movie is. In fact, I find it to be more entertaining than the Orga fight.