Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback: Godzilla 2000 Millennium (1999)

Post by edgaguirus »

Most fondness for this film is likely because we saw it in the theaters instead of the tv. The theater experience certainly gives me more appreciation for the film, as well as the way the audience reacted to the film.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

One of my childhood favourites with one of the coolest Godzilla designs ever in my opinion, and Orga is absolutely badass too.

By the way, does anyone somehow have a recipe for the fried riceballs that appear briefly in the film? They look so good and I used to think they were big chicken nuggets or hasbrowns when I was a little kid.
"Listen, it's a free country. It's not rent-free country."
- Mr. Ditkovich from Spider-Man 3.

Check out my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmWOV ... 3BPwEMXG0Q

KasZilla
Yojimbo

Post by KasZilla »

AllosaurHell wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am One of my childhood favourites with one of the coolest Godzilla designs ever in my opinion, and Orga is absolutely badass too.

By the way, does anyone somehow have a recipe for the fried riceballs that appear briefly in the film? They look so good and I used to think they were big chicken nuggets or hasbrowns when I was a little kid.
Lol I always thought they were salmon patties

AK Siwach
Monsterland Worker

Post by AK Siwach »

Which version do you guys think is better? Personally I am going with the original Japanese version. Some of the humor and lines added in the famous English dub just feel out of place. Most fans seem to prefer Orga's English sounds but I think they are about even as both sound fearsome and alien at the same time. Godzilla's redesign was also pretty awesome and seeing the default beam being orange rather than the usual blue was a nice change of pace. The only only fault I have is how lazy the Millennians are done. They are barely touched on at all yet they appear to have godly technology and surely could have a deep backstory. I wish this film would have delved into their species a bit more but instead they came across as a generic alien that wants to conquer Earth for Godzilla to destroy. Plus Orga is excellent and an overlooked adversary. The movie gets better when you realize it was basically rushed because of the infamous 98 Godzilla. So given the time limits they threw something pretty good together.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

It really wasn't any more rushed than the typical Toho Godzilla film, especially the other '90s and 2000s movies.

mikelcho
G-Grasper

Post by mikelcho »

AllosaurHell wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:24 am One of my childhood favourites with one of the coolest Godzilla designs ever in my opinion, and Orga is absolutely badass too.

It's "hashbrowns", btw. Just letting you know. I think the way you wrote it is kind of funny, though; I couldn't help but notice it when I read it. It reminded me of the word "has beans" from Roald Dahl's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

mikelcho wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:26 am

It's "hashbrowns", btw. Just letting you know. I think the way you wrote it is kind of funny, though; I couldn't help but notice it when I read it. It reminded me of the word "has beans" from Roald Dahl's book Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
LOL I honestly didn't even know there was a typo until you guys let me know haha.
"Listen, it's a free country. It's not rent-free country."
- Mr. Ditkovich from Spider-Man 3.

Check out my YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNmWOV ... 3BPwEMXG0Q

Rando Yaguchi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut. Has anyone ever considered constructing a cut of this film with the original Japanese dialogue, but with all of the bells and whistles of the American version? That would be so damn cool.
Persecution of the Masses
Sacred blessings count for nothing
Oh God, give us your protection
Let no blame lie at the innocents who have prayed
If your high praise is all we have
Let us not be without you...

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut. Has anyone ever considered constructing a cut of this film with the original Japanese dialogue, but with all of the bells and whistles of the American version? That would be so damn cool.
I attempted to try this, but couldn't find the proper materials to do so/couldn't get the files to work in my editing software.

Rando Yaguchi
Monsterland Worker

Post by Rando Yaguchi »

Hmmm. I know nothing about the technical details of a project like this, but I might have to try and tackle it someday.
Persecution of the Masses
Sacred blessings count for nothing
Oh God, give us your protection
Let no blame lie at the innocents who have prayed
If your high praise is all we have
Let us not be without you...

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut.
One of my never-gonna-happen fan dreams is Sony offering the US cut with Japanese audio and English subtitles. No other changes. That's the ideal version of this movie in my opinion.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Jermobooka
G-Grasper

Post by Jermobooka »

My second Godzilla movie ever. Rewatched it last night and i love it, even more than i did when i was a kid.

I’m also back to loving MireGoji. Now i remember why i loved the design so much as a kid :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: Mechagodzilla...beat him to death! :Mechagodzilla74:

ROMG4
JXSDF Technician

Post by ROMG4 »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:16 pm
Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:42 pm I love this movie, but I always have certain trouble watching it: I hate most of the dubbing, yet I love the upgraded sound design and editing of the US cut.
One of my never-gonna-happen fan dreams is Sony offering the US cut with Japanese audio and English subtitles. No other changes. That's the ideal version of this movie in my opinion.
That would be an amazing development. I imagine it would be difficult but I'm actually surprised there hasn't been a fan-edit of something like that unless I've totally missed it

That would just be really neat. Maybe for the anniversary of 2000

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

Lesko
Yojimbo

Post by Lesko »

While not a masterpiece or anything this G2K is still a worthy entry. For starters the redesign is iconic and excellent. Very fearsome and saurian. I also enjoyed the green color. It is funny how Godzilla is often portrayed as green in posters and toys when in film he almost never has been that color. The spikes and jagged teeth are fantastic as well. Orga is also a fantastic adversary that in my opinion is too overlooked. It's insanely large hands combined with round back and small head look very alien and unsettling. The action scenes are alsopretty good overall. Another thing I like is how Godzilla's regeneration is a focal point of the plot. While we sadly don't directly get to see Godzilla regenerate, we still technically see his regeneration ability in real time with Orga. The criticism I have is the human factor which is just very bland. The characters are pretty forgettable and you don't really care what they are doing or what happens to them including the generic villain who looks like a Japanese Bruce Campbell. Still despite the subpar human factor it is overall a very enjoyable entry with very memorable action scenes. Godzilla's strategy to finally destroy Orga was epic and one for the books!

DynomikeGojira
G-Force Personnel

Post by DynomikeGojira »

I've only seen the American cut so I'll say I really love this film it along with GMK and Shin are my favorite modern Godzilla films. The characters and memorable, fun and very likeable and anybody who says that you can't have great characters in modern kaiju films should really rewatch this film because it has by far the most entertaining human storyline besides Shin and has alot of heart in it as well especially between Shinoda and his daughter Io and he's also my favorite protagonist in any Godzilla film alongside Rando Yaguchi and Mark Russell. I loved the other characters like Io, Yuki and Miyasaka they all had believable chemistry with each other and then we have Katagiri he was great despite being slightly one dimensional not sure how he was in the original version but nonetheless I do enjoy him as a character and he's the only character my family actually remembers his name in a Godzilla film. Love how Godzilla is portrayed in this as an anti-heroic force of nature than is more intelligent than what people give him credit for while an the same time still being a menace to Japan and I think this movie captured that better than any other film. Orga was as great antagonist for this film and had a great design that looked alien while at the same time looked similar to Godzilla because he had Godzilla's DNA and the fights between are the best fights in any film. This is a top 5 film for me and it certainly has the best dubbing I've ever heard for any film.
Last edited by DynomikeGojira on Sun May 23, 2021 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

gfan84
Samurai

Post by gfan84 »

Sorry if this seemed strange but this is one of the few Godzilla films which makes me cry. Whenever I see a top ten saddest Godzilla scenes I don’t see the scene in this movie which makes me cry. I am referring to the scene when, after the building is blown up, Io with yuki searches for her father and they comes across a dead end. But then shinoda shows up and Io tearfully embraces with her father. Every time I watch this scene, I sob at it especially in the Japanese version when you hear Io natural voice. Does anybody here in the fandom cry at this scene?

Major sssspielberg!
G-Force Personnel

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

gfan84 wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:06 pm Sorry if this seemed strange but this is one of the few Godzilla films which makes me cry. Whenever I see a top ten saddest Godzilla scenes I don’t see the scene in this movie which makes me cry. I am referring to the scene when, after the building is blown up, Io with yuki searches for her father and they comes across a dead end. But then shinoda shows up and Io tearfully embraces with her father. Every time I watch this scene, I sob at it especially in the Japanese version when you hear Io natural voice. Does anybody here in the fandom cry at this scene?
I don't cry here, but it does get me in my feels. Very genuine moment in a damn good movie.
PitchBlackProgress wrote: Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.
:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

edgaguirus
Xilien Halfling

Post by edgaguirus »

The Godzilla films don't often show child and parent characters in them, but this movie does it well. The scene previously mentioned and other really show a strong bond between Shinoda and Io.
Are you saying that I put an abnormal brain into a 7 1/2 foot long, 54 inch wide....Gorilla! Is that what you're telling me?

The children of the night. What music they make.

GodzillavsRayquaza
Futurian

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

This movie’s really damn good. Great story and characters, the Millenians are intimidating as hell villains, Godzilla’s awesome, and the final battle is really damn fun.

Only complaint I have is the CGI. It’s awful, and it’s so skreeonking distracting when it pops up. When the movie’s just practical stuff, it looks great for sure, but good god the CGI.
Second in Command & Primary Verifier of the KWCE

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Terasawa
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:08 pm Only complaint I have is the CGI. It’s awful, and it’s so skreeonking distracting when it pops up. When the movie’s just practical stuff, it looks great for sure, but good god the CGI.
I appreciate Kenji Suzuki's ambition as SFX director (ROM3, G2K, and GxM), but I think he overestimated the Japanese FX industry's ability to produce digital effects at that time. I don't think his traditional FX work was all that great, either. I think his strength was his ability to stage (if not always execute) dynamic sequences involving people and monsters together. A perfect example of that is Kiriko's "ride" on Godzilla in GxM.