Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah 2001

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah 2001

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Im surprised there wasn't a topic like this, I looked over all 11 pages.

Discuss KG2001, the one and true heroic Ghidorah. He's my favorite version of King Ghidorah; his powers and design are awesome! Im fine with how he's smaller than Godzilla for once- it changes things up a bit and shows how dynamic these kaiju are to each other.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

The Baranosdragon
GPN Volunteer

Re: Monster Discussion: King Ghidorah 2001

Post by The Baranosdragon »

My unpopular opinion: This is my favorite King Ghidorah design. I much prefer the oriental approach to its design, rather than the western type. (Like the 1991 incarnation.) It just seems much more appropriate.
January 1st, 1929 - August 8th, 2017. May Haruo Nakajima Rest in Peace.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Hated this incarnation.

It's a disgrace to the character not only just making him a good guy and guardian who is suppose to be the Destroyer of Worlds but also making him smaller and weaker then Godzilla especially when he's supposed to be one of Godzilla's most powerful foes and arguably his arch-nemesis. Of course this only happened because of King Ghidorah being one of Toho's Big Five and they needed a big hit after their last movie...Still I didn't like what they did with him here and should've stuck with the original concept Kaneko wanted to do which would've made more sense.

Simply put though, I just can't dig or take the idea of King Ghidorah being a good guy and smaller/weaker then Toho's Icon (Godzilla).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Hated this incarnation.

It's a disgrace to the character not only just making him a good guy and guardian who is suppose to be the Destroyer of Worlds but also making him smaller and weaker then Godzilla especially when he's supposed to be one of Godzilla's most powerful foes and arguably his arch-nemesis. Of course this only happened because of King Ghidorah being one of Toho's Big Five and they needed a big hit after their last movie...Still I didn't like what they did with him here and should've stuck with the original concept Kaneko wanted to do which would've made more sense.

Simply put though, I just can't dig or take the idea of King Ghidorah being a good guy and smaller/weaker then Toho's Icon (Godzilla).
I see what you mean, I respect your opinion. To me its better than being a combination of three little Dorats and then having his body being turned into a cyborg complete with not having any personality the whole time. :)

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I see what you mean, I respect your opinion. To me its better than being a combination of three little Dorats and then having his body being turned into a cyborg complete with not having any personality the whole time. :)
Headcanon wise, I like to think the Dorats were genetically engineered from using the DNA of the real King Ghidorah. You know that asteroid that Battra was suppose to stop before Mothra took his place? I think that's the real King Ghidorah heading straight to earth. In other words the King Ghidorah we saw was in the Heisei series is just an carbon-based copy of the real one.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I see what you mean, I respect your opinion. To me its better than being a combination of three little Dorats and then having his body being turned into a cyborg complete with not having any personality the whole time. :)
Headcanon wise, I like to think the Dorats were genetically engineered from using the DNA of the real King Ghidorah. You know that asteroid that Battra was suppose to stop before Mothra took his place? I think that's the real King Ghidorah heading straight to earth. In other words the King Ghidorah we saw was in the Heisei series is just an carbon-based copy of the real one.
The real King Ghidorah being in the asteroid is a good idea. Maybe later in the timeline the real King Ghidorah and a second Spacegodzilla* team up to take over Earth like that one scrapped idea.

*Since they said another Spacegodzilla or something would return.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:The real King Ghidorah being in the asteroid is a good idea. Maybe later in the timeline the real King Ghidorah and a second Spacegodzilla* team up to take over Earth like that one scrapped idea.

I do know there was going to be another Heisei Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah movie where Godzilla would've fought another King Ghidorah only it came from space. I'm thinking that's what they were going to do but then it was dropped.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

Physical design is perfect, but everything else is kind of meh.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:The real King Ghidorah being in the asteroid is a good idea. Maybe later in the timeline the real King Ghidorah and a second Spacegodzilla* team up to take over Earth like that one scrapped idea.

I do know there was going to be another Heisei Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah movie where Godzilla would've fought another King Ghidorah only it came from space. I'm thinking that's what they were going to do but then it was dropped.
All because of Mothra.......

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:All because of Mothra.......
Yep...

I also like to think that sometime in the continuing timeline of the Heisei series. The real King Ghidorah ends up killing Mothra and makes it to earth where he becomes Godzilla Junior's (Fully Grown) first true foe. Same with how SpaceGodzilla will probably eventually return for revenge as I don't think he was actually killed since he turned into spores like how Biollante did retreating into space, so the same could apply to him as well.

But anyways this is off-topic, I'll get back to the main discussion.

As I said, I hate this King Ghidorah incarnation. Its the only thing I didn't like in the GMK movie despite being one of the best Godzilla movies and my least favorite incarnation for that matter.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

I love that this incarnation has foldable wings. It makes him feel a lot more believable, almost like a real organism, sorta. King Ghidorah not having his wings always spread out seems like it'd be more energy efficient, take up less space when moving, and be less of an obvious target for attack.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Gerdzerl wrote:I love that this incarnation has foldable wings. It makes him feel a lot more believable, almost like a real organism, sorta. King Ghidorah not having his wings always spread out seems like it'd be more energy efficient, take up less space when moving, and be less of an obvious target for attack.
I don't think they were foldable so much as stunted and useless at that stage, he still had growing to do and it wasn't until Mothra revived him that they became usable and spread out.

I have no problem with Rodan having foldable wings but I think Ghidorah, at least a big powerful Ghidorah, should have those big fanlike wings filling up the whole screen. All the wirework involved making the heads, tails and wings move in the older movies is still so impressive.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

tbeasley wrote:
Gerdzerl wrote:I love that this incarnation has foldable wings. It makes him feel a lot more believable, almost like a real organism, sorta. King Ghidorah not having his wings always spread out seems like it'd be more energy efficient, take up less space when moving, and be less of an obvious target for attack.
I don't think they were foldable so much as stunted and useless at that stage, he still had growing to do and it wasn't until Mothra revived him that they became usable and spread out.

I have no problem with Rodan having foldable wings but I think Ghidorah, at least a big powerful Ghidorah, should have those big fanlike wings filling up the whole screen. All the wirework involved making the heads, tails and wings move in the older movies is still so impressive.
I definitely agree, but by folded, I meant more in the sense when they're not in use (IE: not flying).

They definitely look folded to me, though. Pretty similar to how a bird's wing folds along the sides of its back, in fact.

The way his wings open and spread out here reminds of how a bird does so.
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Neat design and fun to see a good guy ghidorah

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gerdzerl wrote:I definitely agree, but by folded, I meant more in the sense when they're not in use (IE: not flying).

They definitely look folded to me, though. Pretty similar to how a bird's wing folds along the sides of its back, in fact.

The way his wings open and spread out here reminds of how a bird does so.
Interesting you should mention, since illustrations of bird feet were used as references when they were making Ghidorah's suit.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I also heard that this Ghidorah is a premature Orochi that has yet to grow all eight of its heads. Is that true?
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

SonOfGorgo wrote:I also heard that this Ghidorah is a premature Orochi that has yet to grow all eight of its heads. Is that true?
Yes that's stated in the film. "It's much too early, he still has more growing to do." or something like that.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

tbeasley wrote:Yes that's stated in the film. "It's much too early, he still has more growing to do." or something like that.
In the English dub? Or the original Japanese version? It's been a while since I've seen either.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

The dub probably puts it differently but the idea is still there.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

The Japanese dialogue even specifically says "King Ghidorah was known as Yamata no Orochi." The dub changes this to just "eight-headed dragon" I believe.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.