Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

For the discussion of any Gamera related movies, comics, video games, etc.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gamera 2: Advent of Legion (1996)

Post by eabaker »

Rando Yaguchi wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:07 pm I love everything about this movie except for script - too much exposition and not enough characterization. It just doesn't have much personality compared to the other two in the trilogy. Still, there's a lot to praise here, especially where the kaiju are concerned.
Yeah, as much as I dig G2, it's kind of maximum-plot-minimum-story compared to its slightly richer siblings.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

You gotta give props for how much the FX have grown between GotU and AoL. I still get fuckin goosebumps when Gamera shows up. Gamera's breath in the cold, when he steps near the telephone booth (not to mention the snow that falls off the booth, I'm always so impressed when things like rain and snow are convincingly 'miniaturized'), and Gamera's battle with Legion at the airport all have been stuck in my brain since I saw the movie a decade-and-a-half ago.
I also like how it's not *just* Gamera vs Legion, or the Jieitai vs Legion, it's Earth vs a naturally occurring invasive species. It's like... Independence Day but good.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Even more so that they were only a year apart, give or take. And on a similarly "small" budget to boot. Impressive as hell.
Resized Image

Masterofsome01
Samurai

Post by Masterofsome01 »

G2:AoL is my favorite of the Heisei Gamera by far. A lot of the characters serve a purpose to keep the story moving at a steady pace in between the outstanding action scenes of the monsters plus I can't think of another Kaiju movie where the JSDF are as effective as they are in film (excluding when they use superweapons like Mechagodzilla or the Super X of course) which a real nice change of pace

The Mother Legion herself is a great threat of a Kaiju, powering through everything the military and Gamera throw at her and just when you think it's over Legion just gets back up and keeps going

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 12:15 pmIt's like... Independence Day but good.
:rimshot:

The way the alien threat is gradually revealed and understood reminds me just a bit of the Quatermass films. Really, I guess it's "Quatermassian" in form (they're both procedurals concerning an alien invasion) but not so much in style or especially theme. But it reminds me of Quatermass, and that's always a good thing.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

This is my favorite kaiju movie of all time. It has everything: wonderfully realized monsters, battles, destruction, monsters vs. military, some straight-up horror scenes, some great humor, and a palpable sense of mood throughout...

I especially love how fleshed out the characters are despite operating in a strictly procedural plot where they're just doing their jobs and we don't get much of the characters outside that context. I totally believe they are real people with lives and a backstory and whatever even though I don't get to see it. It's all the little things in their performances, and Kaneko also deserves a lot of credit there.

Then there's just how brilliant the idea, design, and execution of the Legion is. One of the all-time great heavies in kaijudom - all the more threatening because you know they're just following their instincts and harbor no ill will. Their drive to live is what's frightening to us!