Monster Discussion #52: SpaceGodzilla

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Godzilla6014
G-Force Personnel

Re: Is Space Godzilla really that powerful?

Post by Godzilla6014 »

A lot of the Heisei monster are but Spacegodizlla is probably pretty close to really being all that powerful with or without the tower. True the tower does give him quite a lot of energy but I think he is one of the most powerful kajiu of all hell he even meditated up in the air at one point with crystals surounding him. Destroyah might be the only other Heisei oppenent that can be even more so powerful. Funny in games like Godzilla Unleashed he didn't seem to want to stop making crystals.
Legionmaster wrote:Yeah how dare people talk about the things they like. What assholes.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

heiseisaegusa wrote:he was finished pretty quickly by Godzilla's spiral ray.
Yeah...so was everything else hit by it :roll:
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

Copperydock wrote:My opinion is that anything Godzilla needs to go 2v1 against would probably beat him in a one on one fight.
Except Showa Ghidorah. He's a loser.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've considered him to be pretty powerful, but the fact that he was the "Big Bad" of the video Games Godzilla:STE & G:Unleashed was a bit excessive, there are plenty more powerful kaiju in the Toho universe.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

PopInPicsPresents wrote:
So surely in outright power Godzilla is the stronger.
84-95

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

heiseisaegusa wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
So surely in outright power Godzilla is the stronger.
Under circumstance, yeah. Only when the plot says so does Godzilla > Spacegodzilla. If not, Spacegodzilla is superior.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Spacegodzilla is a powerful monster. Spacegodzilla has plenty of ways to attack a foe, and nearly limitless energy as long as it has a tall structure. Even if the structure does got knocked down, Spacegodzilla still is going to blast you to pieces if you don't have good durability or regeneration. Godzilla is strong, but even he would have lost if Moguera hadn't been there. Spacegodzilla can be defeated, but it takes intelligence and a strong weapon to do so.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Under circumstance, yeah. Only when the plot says so does Godzilla > Spacegodzilla. If not, Spacegodzilla is superior.[/quote]

Well Spacegodzilla's greatest wish was to kill Godzilla and dominate the planet, if SG is all that powerful wouldn't he have just killed godzilla on the island where he had no allies? To me this suggests that SG knew that he wouldn't be able to defeat Godzilla without more crystals or the tower. SpaceGodzilla's whole design revolves around the absorption of crystal energy, so it stands to reason that without this power source he isn't that strong.
84-95

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

heiseisaegusa wrote: Well Spacegodzilla's greatest wish was to kill Godzilla and dominate the planet, if SG is all that powerful wouldn't he have just killed godzilla on the island where he had no allies?
Isn't that basically what PopInPicsPresents said? He didn't kill Godzilla then because the plot didn't call for it.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Copperydock wrote:
heiseisaegusa wrote: Isn't that basically what PopInPicsPresents said? He didn't kill Godzilla then because the plot didn't call for it.
The movie made no sense to me and is definitely one of my least favourite out of the lot. Godzilla should have used the spiral ray on the island and killed that rip off there and then, damn baby godzilla getting in the way.
84-95

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

But then the film would be very short.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

Alexzilla408
Samurai

Post by Alexzilla408 »

Copperydock wrote:But then the film would be very short.
Which would be a good thing in my opinion. The less Moguera, the better.
Bagan sucks and he will never be in a Godzilla movie. Shutup.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I think most would agree that the movie should be shorter.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

heiseisaegusa wrote:Under circumstance, yeah. Only when the plot says so does Godzilla > Spacegodzilla. If not, Spacegodzilla is superior.
Well Spacegodzilla's greatest wish was to kill Godzilla and dominate the planet, if SG is all that powerful wouldn't he have just killed godzilla on the island where he had no allies? To me this suggests that SG knew that he wouldn't be able to defeat Godzilla without more crystals or the tower. SpaceGodzilla's whole design revolves around the absorption of crystal energy, so it stands to reason that without this power source he isn't that strong.[/quote]

Space Godzilla is a monster that is smart enough to want to "send a message" to a hated rival. I think that's what that initial fight on the island was about. He even added salt to the wound by kidnapping or imprisoning Little Godzilla. I think that's why he slapped Godzilla around before leaving...

Plus the plot thing...

Edit: Is the quote function having a malfunction here today?
Last edited by GodzillaSpawn on Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

SimeonAssassin
GPN Volunteer

Post by SimeonAssassin »

I Think there's a lot more to SpaceGodzilla's character than we got a taste of in the movie. Toho tends to do this with most characters. I think SpaceGodzilla is incredibly powerful in his own right, just his power source is different (cosmic radiation/energy). His power seems to be augmented by using the crystal conduits, and he could probably take all but a few of the Kaiju with ease. it was the destruction of his shoulder crystals that were the big hits, under the combined assault of MOGUERA (packed with weapons) and a seriously pissed off Godzilla, he got boxed in, before he could fully regenerate. Also, the manner of his "death", the changing into particles, ala Biollante, indicated that even physical destruction is not an insurmountable defeat. He might be able to put himself back together in space for all we know, we never get the chance to explore his character further.

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Either way, nothing SG dealt out put a significant hurt on Godzilla while the spiral ray has got to be the most powerful beam attack in the heisei series so while SG may have some good defenses he can't match Godzilla for sheer offensive power.
84-95

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

heiseisaegusa wrote:Either way, nothing SG dealt out put a significant hurt on Godzilla while the spiral ray has got to be the most powerful beam attack in the heisei series so while SG may have some good defenses he can't match Godzilla for sheer offensive power.
You're missing the point, Godzilla can't just use the Spiral Ray whenever he wants. Spacegodzilla still trumps Godzilla in every category.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

heiseisaegusa
Monsterland Worker

Post by heiseisaegusa »

Just like Spacegodzilla can't use his reflective shield all the time, his main asset and why he's so powerful is his ability to channel energy. Sure SG has a greater variety of abilities while supported by tower and crystals but nothing in his aresenal matches the spiral ray. Admittedly with the tower he is pretty unkillable by anything short of Meltdown G.

On a side note, why cant Godzilla use his spiral ray all the time? Plot convenience again I suspect.
84-95

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

heiseisaegusa wrote:Either way, nothing SG dealt out put a significant hurt on Godzilla while the spiral ray has got to be the most powerful beam attack in the heisei series so while SG may have some good defenses he can't match Godzilla for sheer offensive power.
Than why did the creators of the movie decide that Godzilla needed to go 2-1 against his evil clone?

GodzillaSpawn
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaSpawn »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
GodzillaSpawn wrote:
Than why did the creators of the movie decide that Godzilla needed to go 2-1 against his evil clone?
More merch for merchandising; where the real money is made.
Well, that's easily said. But they could have done that for every film. They also could have made Godzilla fight two monsters so this way they can make money off of merchandise and still make it look like Godzilla wouldn't get his ass kicked one-on-one. It would also make the result more suspenseful--"How will Godzilla get out of this situation?"

Besides, Mogeura has got to be one of the dumbest looking kaiju I've personally ever seen.

But that's just my stance on it.