Monster Discussion #47: Battra

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Monster Discussion #47: Battra

Post by edgaguirus »

so,Battra was born in a log cabin he built with his own claws?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

edgaguirus wrote:so,Battra was born in a log cabin he built with his own claws?
The only reason Godzilla is called the King of Monsters is because Battra turned down the title.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

EikoHarvey
Monarch Researcher

Post by EikoHarvey »

Basically, me and some friends made Battra 100000X cooler than he really is.
Battra tought Rodan to fly. While he was a larva.
TK's self-proclaimed Green Lantern
Godzilla VS the Sea Monster is my favorite movie. I'm that guy.

Irys X
Interpol Agent

Post by Irys X »

Ya know it would actually be pretty exciting to see Battra and Rodan have an ariel fight. If we go your way, then it could be a mentor-apprentice epic battle for the ages. But there can only be one king, and Battra can't take on Godzilla.
My Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stop motion movie -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fshhA8BWuLw

Rodan vs. F-22 Raptor - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q3V02iy_Xw

Wrath of Mechagodzilla - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4xHP8C_vWw

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I think Battra is an interesting concept(if simple), but the character is probably the single-most poorly executed in the entire franchise. We don't really see any contrast between Mothra & Battra(though Mothra is partially at fault here too). What we should have seen is Mothra portrayed as the graceful, delicate guardian. Battra, in contrast, should have been excessively violent and aggressive, attacking with no apparent reason. Instead, the two monsters are portrayed basically the same way.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

Battra is one of my favorite Heisei monsters. His larval form seemed to be better at melee while the adult had better energy weapons. He added more of a mystical sense about Mothra IMO because he was the yang to her yin.

Oh btw did anyone else get pissed off when Battra in Godzilla Unleashed (PS2) was just a reskinned model of Battra?
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Battra is simply a misguided protector, similar to Mothra but more aggressive. The concept it's simple, but the character remains a relatively undevelopped kaiju.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Ookondru99 wrote: Oh btw did anyone else get pissed off when Battra in Godzilla Unleashed (PS2) was just a reskinned model of Battra?
YEAH Battra should of been his own character! Not just a skin for Battra!!
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

*sigh* Nah, I didn't like Battra much in GvMo. He's just not my type of monster. Just a devil version of a monster I ain't a fan of.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Bentley
G-Force Personnel

Post by Bentley »

Battra is a devil version of King Caesar? :o

RedZillaKing

Post by RedZillaKing »

EikoHarvey wrote:
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:If people like Gyaos would stop pissing me the skreeonk off, then maybe I wouldn't have been suck a dick in that post.

Anyway.
I wonder how far my Battra joke really went at G-Fest this year.
Loled my ass off at this. Sometimes it's so worth reading through the previous posts.

Anyways, not really a fan of the Imago. LOVE the caterpillar, though.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

I like Battra. He's a cool, anti-Mothra. However, I don't really get the feeling that Battra Larva is as strong as some people claim him to be. Still strong, yes, but I think your average Showa monster could stand a good chance against him. Beams aren't everything you know. Just ask Gigan.

Battra's roar is terrible however. For some, strange reason, it makes me think that a giant pterosaur is attacking rather then a giant demonic butterfly of death.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Battra... he's interesting as a concept, at least. His execution in GvsM left a lot to be desired, but I'd like to see him return someday in a better movie. I'd want to see him as a wild-card that acts in Earth's best interest. He'd grudgingly tolerate humanity and Mothra's defense of us, but force us to minimize pollution and destruction of the environment as much as possible, attacking us if we go too far. He'd do the same with other kaiju, ignoring them as long as they didn't threaten the planet.

To facilitate better communication with humanity and try to avoid conflict, he'd have Belvera as a priestess/herald/whatever you'd call her. Same deal as the Shobijin. She's Battra's voice.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DaveTheAnalyzer
Samurai

Post by DaveTheAnalyzer »

The talk about Battra's lack of character made me go to Rodan Roost's Kaiju Stats (Which is something I always do when wondering about the persoanlity of the monster). This part:
Battra is very aggressive, and will at once react to any provocation, dealing out far more in retaliation than the original attack. The monster has a long memory, as well, and will never forget who his enemies are.
Made me think that if Battra had the Internet, he would be the one who compose grudgeposts about anyone who slighted him.

"That time you spilled soap on that dandelion and made it die, Mothra? I'M GOING TO BEAM SPAM YOU TO DEATH FOR THAT, YOU USELESS MOTHBALL OF A GUARDIAN!!! *Incoherent insults and expletives follow*"

Llante
Monsterland Worker

Post by Llante »

This Battra is another Heisei monster who should return some day just because of how good the ideas powering him were.

I was really interested in the concept of how he was described as basically a dark avenger, someone who is bent on keeping Earth and nature in order and terminates anyone who got in the way of balance. And the fact that he was created by a mistake of a advanced civilization. Someone who has the potential to destroy so much in the name of good, a sort of "so good, it's bad" character: an anti-hero.

But in the end, the bad film making behind the film made his execution more of an execution. Still, some good things made it into the film, like his brutal and redemptive sacrifice, his awesome entrance, and his overall design as a seperate, but similar character to Mothra. And his larval design had an unstoppable and malefic appearance that suited him well.

Not to mention that he is one tough dude. Getting both sides of his neck ripped open and his throat fried then not dying sooner than he did, surviving thousands of years trapped under ice, and emerging unscathed out of a volcanic rift.

Battra is someone who needs and could really benefit from a comeback with better execution and a fleshed out character and role. Heck, he would have better in the Rebirth of Mothra films to help Mothra defeat either Grand King Ghidorah or Daghra instead of just give Mothra Leo another random, nonsensical, and unexplained power up that. Seriously, that would've been cool in ROM 3 to have Battra work in to the plot as another "Mothra like creature" to help Mothra defeat Ghidorah instead of time travel and a ridiculous power up. Still, I am satisfied with ROM 3, it just would've been interesting to see Battra make a comeback in a franchise that would've suited him.

Anyways, that is all for now.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

While I feel that battra was executed kinda badly in his only appearance, I think he/she should have another chance in a movie. Battra is probably one of the coolest monsters in the Godzilla kiaju line. Battra also has a great background. The one thing I could have gone with for battra would be a larval form that is not looking straight up
Resized Image

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Battra is great.

I love what that comic Kingdom of Monsters did with him. Gave him a set of evil twins who went around psychologically torturing people.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Ghidorahs3rdHead
Samurai

Post by Ghidorahs3rdHead »

Always liked Battra, an overall cool look and interesting background. Would love to see him in an updated film, much like some of the other great Heisei kaiju. Battra larva was always a tough customer, probably moreso than the adult stage but both are incredible kaiju.

MDK
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MDK »

Battra had SO much pontential. If only...
TK's resident O L D S H O W A F A N B O Y who is a salty heisei and sticklegs zilla H A T E R and GINO fan S T E R E O T Y P E R and member who threw a T E M P E R T A N T R U M over Vega
Legion1979 wrote:The Godzilla fandom tends to attract three types of people; ignorant kids, social deviants and drunks in their late '20s and older. Lol
SaltPersonified wrote:Says the one who threw a temper tantrum over Vega
If you're forced ignored with me and you see this because you logged out to read my posts you need a life lol

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Battra return?

Post by Beef Bigshot »

i know battra is pretty popular and i was wandering if anyone would like him to make a new appearance. what kind of role would you like him to have, good or evil?
Resized Image