Monster Discussion #45: Mecha-King Ghidorah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Re: MKG

Post by Showa Gyaos »

TokyoVigilante wrote:Really? You're actually confusing VIDEOGAME CANON with the completely separate and entirely unrelated FILM CANON?
Tbh, I thought this prematurely. I see where Kiryu is coming from.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #45: Mecha-King Ghidorah

Post by Rody »

NSZ wrote:
Huan_of_Valinor wrote:Someone posted something on youtube that i'm going to quote here, more or less.

the time travelers said that a person couldn't go back to a time in which he already existed, because one of them would disappear. If true does that mean that when MKG appeared, the body of KG disappeared because MKG didn't disappear. So KG's body disappeared, which means it wasn't there to be made into a cyborg in the future...

which means he can't exist
... >.<

heck with logic. Not a bad design, but not a neccisary addition to the film imo
Dammit man, we finally made heads and tails of this accursed confusing movie and now you bring this up?! What is wrong with you!?
You guys are funny.
I appreciate MKG for being a fresh idea to Ghidorah's character, but like most Heisei kaiju, he could have been better executed.
Last edited by Rody on Wed Dec 12, 2012 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaijukurt
EDF Instructor

Post by kaijukurt »

I liked his design. He has potential, but his film just wasn't able to pull it off.
Formerly known as kurtzilla

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Living Corpse wrote:I'd love to see him come back. It'd be cool if in a new series King Ghidorah is not only a planet killing space monster and one of the strongest again but THE strongest and all of Earth's monsters team up and beat him. Then in a future sequel when everyone thinks he's dead someone brings him back as an even more powerful cyborg (MKG) thus making the strongest monster that took all of Earth's monsters to beat even stronger and they can't control him and he ends up breaking free and destroying the world again of his own free will and Earth's monsters have to once again team up but now it seems lees likely they'll win because some had died in the first battle against King Ghidorah thus lees help and Mecha-King Ghidorah is even more powerful. And the only thing that beats him in the end is Godzilla pulling a new power out of his ass at the end.

Man that would make for some epic movies.
To go off of that a bit, it would be fun to see a new generation Godzilla vs King Ghidorah movie and for a sequel have the Red Bamboo or some terrorist organization, rogue government group, or some other organization with access to high skill labor and high technology to create this Ghidorah cyborg.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

RED BAMBOO NEED TO COME BACK!!!! :huge:
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

ghidorasauras
Interpol Agent

Post by ghidorasauras »

your a dick king ghidorah is like the second most
badass monster ever(1: Goji)
Svitska Donkun wrote:Godzilla vs. Robot was best one. It was my favorite of movies. Especially part where Godzilla becomes magnet. I wish I could be magnet, but for people. Maybe then Mama will love me despite me not coming from her womb.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Rody wrote:
NSZ wrote:
Huan_of_Valinor wrote:Someone posted something on youtube that i'm going to quote here, more or less.

the time travelers said that a person couldn't go back to a time in which he already existed, because one of them would disappear. If true does that mean that when MKG appeared, the body of KG disappeared because MKG didn't disappear. So KG's body disappeared, which means it wasn't there to be made into a cyborg in the future...

which means he can't exist
... >.<

heck with logic. Not a bad design, but not a neccisary addition to the film imo
Dammit man, we finally made heads and tails of this accursed confusing movie and now you bring this up?! What is wrong with you!?
ROFL :D you guys are hilarious.
yeah lol i complicated things a bit but i felt that it was important. I usually only post when i feel that i have something important to say, which is why my post count is as low as it is lol
Tohosaurus wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:I'd love to see him come back. It'd be cool if in a new series King Ghidorah is not only a planet killing space monster and one of the strongest again but THE strongest and all of Earth's monsters team up and beat him. Then in a future sequel when everyone thinks he's dead someone brings him back as an even more powerful cyborg (MKG) thus making the strongest monster that took all of Earth's monsters to beat even stronger and they can't control him and he ends up breaking free and destroying the world again of his own free will and Earth's monsters have to once again team up but now it seems lees likely they'll win because some had died in the first battle against King Ghidorah thus lees help and Mecha-King Ghidorah is even more powerful. And the only thing that beats him in the end is Godzilla pulling a new power out of his ass at the end.

Man that would make for some epic movies.
To go off of that a bit, it would be fun to see a new generation Godzilla vs King Ghidorah movie and for a sequel have the Red Bamboo or some terrorist organization, rogue government group, or some other organization with access to high skill labor and high technology to create this Ghidorah cyborg.
i'm of the opinion that King Ghidorah the planet killer doesn't need any addtional forms. However as far as Red Bamboo goes, they could get some DNA off of the battlefield after the planet killer has been defeated and either killed or driven away (presumed dead), they attempt to clone it, but something goes wrong and they have to make it a cyborg to keep it alive. After they use it as a weapon and are defeated... Perhaps it's shown in a post credits scene the the original isn't quite as dead as it was thought to be lol
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

Mecha-King Ghidorah is just pure Awesome. One of the main reasons why consider Godzilla vs King Ghidorah as one of my top 3 favorites. I think it would be wicked to see this character again fighting Godzilla, though I doubt that will happen, but still just think about it.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

Leunames
G-Force Personnel

Post by Leunames »

MKG is my favorite Heisei design, followed by Biollante.

I choose to allow G vs KG to be an entertaining Godzilla movie waaay before any theoretical physics discussion even begins to become a factor. That being said, the origin of MKG is pretty neat, and a unique entry into Godzilla lore as a whole: take Godzilla's most resilient enemy (I mean that in a franchise context, and not in the actual context of the film), weaponize it cybernetically through future technology, and send it back in time so that Godzilla can face him yet again. It's a great origin, for how many times has Godzilla posed enough of a threat that warranted traveling into the future to procure upgrades that otherwise would not hav been possible in the current time, and then send back the completed product to fight Godzilla? It's a great concept.

Design-wise, it works to such a great degree. Instead of doing a full fledged robotic version, MKG is the first and only mecha to be ostensibly be a cyborg, as opposed to being entirely cybernetic (kiryu aside), which I thin was a GREAT idea. 2 organic heads and 1 cybernetic one instantly makes MKG's design unique, while the large metallic wings with the solar-panel looking patterns also helps give MKG a distinct profile that is separate and different from the plethora of wings in the godzilla franchise. I first knew about MKG when I saw the Bandai toy in Forbidden Planet back in 1991, and the fact that it was missing its middle head but still retain certain elements of the original monster gave a lot of clues about how the movie was going to play out, which again is a credit to the design.

Unfortunately it under-performed against Godzilla, considering how its cybernetic components were recycled to create a mecha that actually did kill Godzilla. Still, the design remains my favorite. I wish there were more toys of this character available aside from the Bandai and the marmit Monster Heaven.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

In my honest opinion, MKG is the worst executed monster next to Kaiser Ghidorah in
Toho kaiju movie history. A pretty cool idea on paper, but what did we get?

King Ghidorah having a cosplay malfunction. Seriously, all it has going for it is the machine hand. Godzilla Island had a much better looking MKG and I would take that design over the film version ANY DAY.

Everytime I see that suit, I cannot help but cringe on the inside.

That's my thoughts on such a dissipointing waste.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

GIGAN05 wrote:King Ghidorah having a cosplay malfunction. Seriously, all it has going for it is the machine hand. Godzilla Island had a much better looking MKG and I would take that design over the film version ANY DAY.
Do you mean the one where all three heads are metal? I prefer the movie Mecha-King Ghidorah to that one because it's a unique looking cyborg... it's not a straight up mecha like Mechagodzilla or Mechani-Kong, and stands out for that reason. The visual dynamic of the central mechanized head with the two flesh ones next to it works in my opinion.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Arbok wrote:
GIGAN05 wrote:King Ghidorah having a cosplay malfunction. Seriously, all it has going for it is the machine hand. Godzilla Island had a much better looking MKG and I would take that design over the film version ANY DAY.
Do you mean the one where all three heads are metal? I prefer the movie Mecha-King Ghidorah to that one because it's a unique looking cyborg... it's not a straight up mecha like Mechagodzilla or Mechani-Kong, and stands out for that reason. The visual dynamic of the central mechanized head with the two flesh ones next to it works in my opinion.
Yeah, while I find MKG a little clunky in action - well, really, practically immobile - I think the design itself is completely bitchin.

In fact, the machine hand is my one major issue with the design. I don't see how the heck that thing fit inside MKG's torso, and the effect is just silly looking.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Llante
Monsterland Worker

Post by Llante »

I like Mecha King Ghidorah alot. It was a pretty cool concept to give Ghidorah the Mecha treatment. In particular, I liked the design of half robotic/half living being, kinda like Gigan. (There is an idea: Gigan and Mecha King Ghidorah: The Cyborg Monsters) Like typical Heisei kaiju, MKG makes a pretty good kaiju to use in the future, just with some different backstory or features. However, I do appreciate his role in the movie. Overall, I find Mecha King Ghidorah to be a good kaiju. Not bad, not great, just good. Oh yeah, and G-Force salvaging MKG for Mechagodzilla was pretty smart and unique.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Llante wrote:Oh yeah, and G-Force salvaging MKG for Mechagodzilla was pretty smart and unique.
Concur. One of those moments that makes continuity really work... in fact, I would say the best example in the Heisei series.

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Return of Mecha King Ghidorah

Post by Beef Bigshot »

I was wandering what people would think if mecha king ghidorah returned in a movie. I know alot of people would think it's cool if he would return but what role would he have. What would he look like , redesign?

If they redesign him I would want the mecha head to look more vicious and not so durpy. Also I would like if the wing were wider at the top and would shrink the farther down they went. Besides that I like the design just wished it look more ferocious.

Also I would like to see him as either an alien weapon, red bamboo Thingy, or an EDF type thing if handled well
No more future crap
Resized Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Return of Mecha King Ghidorah

Post by eabaker »

MKG is one of those Toho creations that I feel is too intimately bound to his original narrative context to be appropriate for a re-working. In general, I'm not big on the idea of monsters being cyborgized, and I think the time travel, moral-compass-spinning scenario into which Omori wrote him is just where he belongs.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:In general, I'm not big on the idea of monsters being cyborgized
That's because you're a poopyhead.

I think it would be neat if they took the KG/MKG upgrade thing and twisted it back into the alien narrative. That is, assuming we ever see KG or aliens again. I always dug this head concept and wished they had gone with the visor motif instead.
bleep bloop

Beef Bigshot
Xilien Halfling

Post by Beef Bigshot »

If they did pretty much anything elso other than time travel with him I would be happy. Also I said this once and I'll say it again, he needs a more vicious looking redisngn. The mecha head is just sooo...durpy and unopposing that it's almost down playing his whole concept. Also I would like to see his bahavior change. He could have the potential to be a really scary monster
Resized Image

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I was pretty appalled when I first learned of Mecha-King Ghidorah. My first reaction was really how could they take a classic character like King Ghidorah and slice him up and turn him into a cyborg?

The Heisei series was about taking risks though (outside of Godzilla vs. Mothra that played it safe), and thought they did a good job of this aspect when I saw the film. I don't think we should see it return, though. I think it's something that gives a unique flavor to the 1991 movie and should stay at that.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Beef Bigshot wrote:If they did pretty much anything elso other than time travel with him I would be happy.
And I'm curious what better thematic and narrative motivation you can imagine for the character.