Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Re: Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

Post by g2vd »

I really dislike the heads on this Ghidorah they're too cat like for me, that's why GU and ROM's Ghidorah designs are my favorite because Ghidorah has a solely dragon like head. everything else about the design is fantastic, it's a great new design take on Ghidorah but those cat like heads weigh it down for me but that's personal preference really.
Godzilla The King wrote:fighting style
I found the fighting style to be disappointing it feels cherographed it happens so slowly and so orderly that it feels less like a battle and more like a WWE Wrestling match.
Godzilla

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Probably the least interesting of all the Ghidorahs in the franchise, not that I hate it by any means, every Ghidorah is awesome, but the rest have something that helps them stand out and elevates them that much more while this one’s just rather bland by comparison, both in design and personality. Doesn’t help that non-movie stuff fucking refuses to use a King Ghidorah design other than this one.

I don’t mind the origins, what I mind is the fact that it doesn’t matter. He still essentially ends up playing the role of mind-controlled alien pawn that Showa did in most of his roles, with the fact that he’s three housepets horribly fused together into one abomination by radiation just completely brushed over and ignored when there’s so much that could have been done with that.
Last edited by GodzillavsRayquaza on Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:55 pm with the fact that he’s three housepets horribly fused together into one abomination by radiation just completely brushed over and ignored when there’s so much that could have been done with that.
“Missed opportunities and stuff being brushed over” is kinda the Heisei series’ whole thing :lol:
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

GodzillavsRayquaza wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:55 pm I don’t mind the origins, what I mind is the fact that it doesn’t matter. He still essentially ends up playing the role of mind-controlled alien pawn that Showa did in most of his roles, with the fact that he’s three housepets horribly fused together into one abomination by radiation just completely brushed over and ignored when there’s so much that could have been done with that.
In the Japanese version (not sure if the Sony subtitles preserve this), Emmy establishes that the Dorats were genetically engineered to respond to electromagnetic stimuli (or something) from their owners, just one reason why they are so favored as pets in the future. They're highly sensitive to certain electromagnetic impulses -- something like that. But it also obviously serves to establish the Futurians' complete control over King Ghidorah. (Also one of many references to Monster Zero.)
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The film makers treat the Dorats as a means to and end, and they essentially are. Besides Emi telling our characters what nice pets they are, we don't get anything else about them. They exist for the sole purpose of transforming into a destructive, three headed monster.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.