Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Darth Calypso
Gotengo Officer

Re: Monster Discussion #43: King Ghidorah (Heisei)

Post by Darth Calypso »

It sounds more like the original KG roar than the heisei roar, which is what Toho was going for I think.
Think With Your Dipstick Jimmy
My edited images, drawings, music, and SFX

Jeragon85
Young Farmer

Post by Jeragon85 »

I thought the design was good. He looked so awesome. However as far as origin goes, I prefer the showa ghidorah because he just seemed more bad ass due to the fact that his origin is more of a mystery and not shown. The fact of fusing three little dorats together kind of was not so awesome. Plus the fact that people were responsible for his creation period was not so cool. Also how he used Rodans roar was ok, but he should have had his original sound. I thought the monster battles with him were awesome. Overall not bad, I prefer the showa ghidorah though.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Dr. Nishiyama wrote:I love Godzilla VS King Ghidorah, but I found Ghidorah to be the worst thing about it with its new origin (how can a 50s nuclear blast mutate and merge three tiny creatures into a 150 meter plus kaiju when all it did to the original Godzilla was boost his height up to 50 meters)
Okay the way that i looked at that was that there are three of them, 3 x 50 = 150 vs one pre-godzilla thing getting mutated to 50 meters. How they merged is beyond me though...

i didn't mind the design overall, but i didn't like the roar, it didn't give kg any intimidation factor. And sadly i consider it weak and frail, even as i consider the Showa version to be over hyped (a rant for another thread). It did have Godzilla in a very compromised position, but only when it had human controllers, and once the connection was severed, the fight was over, even taking the choking attack into consideration.

it's not the worst redesign of the second series *coughmothracough* but it's still just meh.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

Arrow
Gotengo Officer

Post by Arrow »

Up until fairly recently, this was my favorite King Ghidorah design. As of now, he's in third place - behind the '64 King Ghidorah and Grand King Ghidorah. The Dorats are awful, his origin is utterly ridiculous, his roar sucks, and he's horribly executed in flight.

But the design itself isn't that bad. I love seeing the way he towers over Godzilla and their first battle in Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was one of the highlights of the film for me. Only negative there is that the monster itself is a bit on the blander side. This Ghidorah doesn't really show any sort of personality and lacks the menace of the Showa King Ghidorah or Grand King Ghidorah, even if he's made to look pretty ferocious.

Overall, it's a pretty forgettable King Ghidorah. The best thing about him is that we'd get Mecha-King Ghidorah out of it. But I still like it a lot. Truth be told though, outside of GFW's hideous version, there isn't a Ghidorah that I dislike.

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

^ I also thought the Heisei Ghidorah was frail as heck. Maybe that's just because Godzilla was a atomic titan, but still...kinda bummed me out.
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

Ah but there is the fact that THIS Ghidorah is also an atomic titan... Sooooooo why is it so frail?

meh, whatever lol

Kubo
Sazer

Post by Kubo »

...I may be a nincompoop for asking, but why was Godzilla already big, prior to the submarine going down?
Giving myself brain damage wishing too hard upon a star.

Twitter: @Dawn_of_the_DED
If you follow me on there, shoot me a DM so I know you're from the forums.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

I rank King Ghidorah 1991 above both 4 legged Ghidorahs, but below the rest (and yes, this includes his Godzilla vs. Gigan design). While the main body of the suit looks great, the necks are too long. The heads don't fare much better, with the wobbly horns being nearly as baffling as Mothra's chicken legs. As it has been pointed out, once the creature takes to the sky, it loses all credibility. This seriously affects what I would otherwise believe to be one the film's most exciting scenes, when the Air Force engages with the monster.

Character wise, it's nothing special either. It's just a MacGuffin, not the destroyer of worlds he should be. Even when playing against character as in GMK it seemed to be given far more importance. And yes, the Dorats are practically on the same level of Jar Jar Binks, not the greatest way to go with your character's origin story.

I do like Ifukube's version of the King Ghidorah theme in this film though, it sounds more thundering than ever.
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Primevalgodzilla V2
Futurian

Post by Primevalgodzilla V2 »

Ah but there is the fact that THIS Ghidorah is also an atomic titan... Sooooooo why is it so frail?

meh, whatever lol
He's frail sure, but he still managed to give Godzilla hell. And while it made Ghidorah look frail, the last bit of the fight was brutal. Both of them were really on the verge of offing each other within the span of a minute, with Godzilla was getting convincingly choked, and then promptly blowing off Ghiddy's head, and then burning his wings off. It was pretty awesome.
It is a simple story. There is nothing that brings me happiness. Be it believing in others or them believe in me, it did not matter.
What others called happiness simply did not bring me joy.

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:Ah but there is the fact that THIS Ghidorah is also an atomic titan... Sooooooo why is it so frail?

meh, whatever lol
Godzilla and Ghidorah were almost equally powerful. The Showa incarnation of Ghidorah required more than one monster to be taken down.

EDIT: This is my 1,974th post. 1974 is also the year that Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla was released. This has been a random tribute to my favorite Godzilla movie.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Huan_of_Valinor wrote:Ah but there is the fact that THIS Ghidorah is also an atomic titan... Sooooooo why is it so frail?

meh, whatever lol
Dorats < Godzillasaurus.
To be fair, KG put up a very good fight; it just went downhill after the computer was destroyed, distracting him.

Heisei KG is pretty good, but ultimately fails at improving on the original. The faces look fiercer, but the "flexi-horns" distract from this. The Showa KG's horn had sort of a regal look to them.
While this version tries to improve KG's size, and rightly so, KG ends up looking very skinny & lanky, detracting from the size factor.
I don't mind the origin; I give it credit for being different, though I still prefer the classic world destroyer. Of course, it could have been written better.

godzilla898
G-Force Personnel

Something in GvKG I Realized

Post by godzilla898 »

Now it's been a while since I saw Godzilla vs King Ghidorah, so forgive me if I'm wrong. When Godzilla and KG first fight, KG blocks Godzilla's atomic breath with his wings, which take no damage. Later on, when he's flying away, Godzilla's breath manages to punch a hole through Ghiddy's wing. Did I remember something wrong, or did I find an inconsistency?
nani sore wrote:Oh my skreeonk god, g898. You are amazing.
GTU wrote: Does that matter? Like 80% of this forum is homoerotic subtext.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Something in GvKG I Realized

Post by Spuro »

Nuclear pulse. Works like a darn.

On the same subject, has anyone else noticed the door sign in the same movie that reads: Super Scientific Play-Room? I thought i was imagining things when I first saw it last night.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Nuclear pluse weakened Ghidorah and then supercharged Godzilla ray thus Ghidorah's head and wings went bye-bye.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Legion1979 wrote:Since when does the nuclear pulse SUPERCHARGE Godzilla's ray?
First ray that takes out Ghidorah's head is stronger you see extra energy around Godzilla's spines.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:Since when does the nuclear pulse SUPERCHARGE Godzilla's ray?
First ray that takes out Ghidorah's head is stronger you see extra energy around Godzilla's spines.
That happens at least one other time earlier in their fight, yet the beam didn't seem any stronger at that moment. So just because there's "extra energy" coming from Godzilla's spines, doesn't mean the nuclear pulse made Godzilla's beam stronger.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

GotengoXGodzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by GotengoXGodzilla »

SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Its perfectly feasible. Godzilla's ray didn't do anything to King Ghidorah before the pulse.

Its also possible that the pulse weakened King Ghidorah.

Could go either way.
I think it's perfectly logical that the pulse just made King Ghidorah's neck very easy to be blasted off. The pulse didn't do anything to the strength of Godzilla's beam.
Check out my film blog - Seeing Is Believing

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

GotengoXGodzilla wrote:
SuperSaiyan4Godzilla wrote:
Its perfectly feasible. Godzilla's ray didn't do anything to King Ghidorah before the pulse.

Its also possible that the pulse weakened King Ghidorah.

Could go either way.
I think it's perfectly logical that the pulse just made King Ghidorah's neck very easy to be blasted off. The pulse didn't do anything to the strength of Godzilla's beam.
Isn't the pulse made from Godzilla's energy not being able to get out the pulse could make Godzilla's ray slightly more powerful depending on how much energy Godzilla releases in the ray versus the pulse perhaps?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PRIMEVAL
Gotengo Officer

Post by PRIMEVAL »

Plot has to flow somehow.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:On the same subject, has anyone else noticed the door sign in the same movie that reads: Super Scientific Play-Room? I thought i was imagining things when I first saw it last night.
Pics or it didn't happen.