What if: Godzilla vs Kong 1991

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

What if: Godzilla vs Kong 1991

Post by imposterzilla »

We all know Turner was responsible for pulling the plug on this. But what if not? How would it have gone and how would things have changed? I have an idea if Toho gave rights to Turner rights in the North America territory with the event being a Turner Network exclusive or pay preview, Turner could have allowed it and may have paid for some of the budget as a production. It could have netted both parties a decent sum and may have been G's comeback in the States.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Re: What if: Godzilla vs Kong 1991

Post by Jermobooka »

This and Godzilla Reborn are the two unmade Godzilla movies I want to see the most

The two things I’m most curious about are how the fight(s) would be and what Cyber-Kong would’ve looked like.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

Well, if Toho had gone with Shinji Nishikawa’s idea for this… (From here)

“I submitted a story outline for that movie. Since King Kong was going to be in it, I felt that one of the main human characters had to be a woman. So, I came up with a female scientist who saw King Kong only as an object with which to experiment. She even was going to turn him into a cyborg.”

But regardless, I dunno. After King Kong Lives I don’t think too many people were jonesing for a new King Kong movie, and Godzilla was already the butt of the joke here in the States, wasn’t he?
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Maybe it would change how the US (and the West in general) viewed Godzilla, but I don’t think it would change much. Make a lot of money, too.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Quite honestly i wonder if it would've hindered the chances of Godzilla vs. Kong happening at all. Sure by the time, the Heisei GVKK would be twenty years old and people probably would be curious to see what a big budget version of that would be like. At the same time though people wouldn't be craving for it as much. (twenty year gap is way different than a fifty/sixty year gap)

Also, the idea of some Cyborg Kong with lasers and missiles going into constant Beam-O-Wars with Heisei Godzilla is all kinds of awesome.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Really would have been surreal if, to get around the Turner's block, Toho had gone to Paramount as they still had the rights to make one more Kong movie. It would mean the Kong involved would be in continuity with the 1976 remake and its 1986 sequel. That's for better or for worse, but it is a very surreal thought to consider. In theory, this film still could have been made had Toho acted on the infamous copyright court battle Nintendo got dragged into involving Donkey Kong. Thanks to the efforts of a lawyer on Nintendo's behalf named Kirby (yes, really), it was more or less agreed that the word 'Kong' wasn't copyrighted. Given the name 'King Kong' isn't copyrighted for the character, but the story involving said character (like that makes any sense..), it's possible this whole shenanigans could have been Turner pulling a big bluff in hindsight.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Sometimes I think to myself... King Kong Lives should never have happened, the 1976 sequel should have been the Heisei Godzilla vs. King Kong.

Added in 4 minutes 59 seconds:
I also think it would have been a very different entry in the Heisei series and while I can bet the Cybernetic Kong was just an excuse to give Heisei Kong laser beams to partake in constant laser battles, it would have been really cool if this film was the one Heisei movie where the kaiju fights are more tooth and claw based especially since gorillas are animals that naturally resort to using fists when they feel threatened.

Or Kong just shoots lightning out of his hands like Palpatine... Probably a very likely outcome since Toho really likes the idea of Kong using electric powers.

Could it also be possible Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah was based on the drafts for Godzilla vs. King Kong? Like maybe the Futurians bring a baby gorilla to the past instead of the Dorats and the same story happens, baby ape gets nuked to "avert" Godzilla's creation and becomes King Kong and then the whole Cyborg Kong stuff happens just as we got Mecha-King Ghidorah.
Last edited by AllosaurHell on Sun Jul 11, 2021 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse