Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla (1994)

Post by Goji »

RandomDeinonychus wrote: An alien monster created by nonsense science and a heroic Godzilla all strike me as very Showa-like, but apparently your mileage varies.
Well there's my answer, you're talking about the premise. No need to be an asshole.

The movie itself certainly doesn't "feel" like a Showa movie, despite the ridiculous set up. That's what I was getting at, but that's not what you meant, so..moving on.

SpaceGodzilla has an almost made-for-TV feel at times. Like Megaguirus, most of this movie just feels rushed, and like it's just going through the motions. "Welp, I guess we better make another Godzilla movie guys". It's not anywhere near as good as the movie that preceded it, and it's most definitely not as decent as that one that follows. The music is solid, I'll give it that; especially considering that they had to basically find a last minute replacement.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A problem may be the big fight. The plot is more or less there to get to the epic fight between Godzilla and his extraterrestrial doppleganger. In a good movie, the fight should compliment the plot, and not be the point of it.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

edgaguirus wrote:A problem may be the big fight. The plot is more or less there to get to the epic fight between Godzilla and his extraterrestrial doppleganger. In a good movie, the fight should compliment the plot, and not be the point of it.
*snaps fingers*

I think you hit the nail on the head. Sure, we get the project T/Yuki's revenge subplots, but these ultimately go no-where and just end up serving as filler.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Goji wrote:
RandomDeinonychus wrote: An alien monster created by nonsense science and a heroic Godzilla all strike me as very Showa-like, but apparently your mileage varies.
Well there's my answer, you're talking about the premise. No need to be an asshole.
I mean, I agree, since I wasn't being one? At least, not intentionally.

As for the big fight being the whole point of the plot, I can't argue with that being true but I also question whether that's automatically a weakness. Again, I like the movie and I would agree that the big fight is not very well choreographed and rather repetitive (though I can't name a Heisei film after Biollante that isn't guilty of that), but if anything the film's weakness is that its plot keeps losing focus on the title bout. I mean, the film in no way requires a human villain and yet it gets one--the whole T-Project subplot is almost wholly unnecessary, at least as executed.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The T-Project subplot is wholly unnecessary as executed, but its presence is just an indication of how little actual plot/story they really had. With nothing to actually focus on, they just threw in hand-wave after hand-wave, hoping that in the end it would all tie together into something that felt cohesive.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

A few pages (and several months) back, Captain Aktion suggested that the Project T/Yakuza plot could have been its own, smaller-scale movie; and I think that would have been great. "Godzilla vs. Project T"(or whatever) could have been the 'Ebirah/Son of' title in the Heisei era, with a remote setting, a character-driven plot, and maybe a few minor monsters for Godzilla to fight in the meantime. I bet I would have enjoyed that movie more than the other films in that series, honestly.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Rody wrote:A few pages (and several months) back, Captain Aktion suggested that the Project T/Yakuza plot could have been its own, smaller-scale movie; and I think that would have been great. "Godzilla vs. Project T"(or whatever) could have been the 'Ebirah/Son of' title in the Heisei era, with a remote setting, a character-driven plot, and maybe a few minor monsters for Godzilla to fight in the meantime. I bet I would have enjoyed that movie more than the other films in that series, honestly.
I'd be all for more weird Godzilla side-stories like this, featuring more minor opponents a la Ebirah, or even no opposing monster at all. Just show me the wild things than can happen in a universe Godzilla inhabits and how he affects people who encounter him.

Unfortunately there's not a lot of marquee value there. I always hope side material like comics will at least explore that, but even there, the track record is spotty.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Man ass. That's all you need to know about this film. Blatant man ass.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

We did get something like Project T in G:TS. Remember Cameron Winter was able to temporarily control Godzilla by attaching a unit to him. A movie or comic could better explore this, though; the politics, consequences, and ethical questions.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Rody wrote:A few pages (and several months) back, Captain Aktion suggested that the Project T/Yakuza plot could have been its own, smaller-scale movie; and I think that would have been great. "Godzilla vs. Project T"(or whatever) could have been the 'Ebirah/Son of' title in the Heisei era, with a remote setting, a character-driven plot, and maybe a few minor monsters for Godzilla to fight in the meantime. I bet I would have enjoyed that movie more than the other films in that series, honestly.
Wow, that sounds miles and ahead better than what we ended up getting.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

So I was just watching this movie in the subbed version for the first time, and I saw something interesting. Remember how a while back one of the updates on the main site suggested a second Moguera was in this movie? Well, it seems this was not the case. In the scene where Chinatsu Gondo is briefing a meeting in the G-Force headquarters about the nature of Spacegodzilla and Godzilla's cells, she mentions that the Spacegodzilla cells were "collected from the hull of Moguera", which undoubtedly means there was no second Moguera whatsoever. Thought I'd bring that up just because.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Missingno. wrote:So I was just watching this movie in the subbed version for the first time, and I saw something interesting. Remember how a while back one of the updates on the main site suggested a second Moguera was in this movie? Well, it seems this was not the case. In the scene where Chinatsu Gondo is briefing a meeting in the G-Force headquarters about the nature of Spacegodzilla and Godzilla's cells, she mentions that the Spacegodzilla cells were "collected from the hull of Moguera", which undoubtedly means there was no second Moguera whatsoever. Thought I'd bring that up just because.
I don't see how that proves there was only one MOGUERA. She doesn't say "the hull of our one and only MOGUERA," does she? I mean, don't get me wrong, I fully agree that there was only one MOGUERA in the movie, but I don't see how that line is proof of it.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

Missingno. wrote:So I was just watching this movie in the subbed version for the first time, and I saw something interesting. Remember how a while back one of the updates on the main site suggested a second Moguera was in this movie? Well, it seems this was not the case. In the scene where Chinatsu Gondo is briefing a meeting in the G-Force headquarters about the nature of Spacegodzilla and Godzilla's cells, she mentions that the Spacegodzilla cells were "collected from the hull of Moguera", which undoubtedly means there was no second Moguera whatsoever. Thought I'd bring that up just because.
Yeah, I agree with TitanoGoji16: I think how we're supposed to take it is that the cells were taken from the hull of the first Moguera, although I agree that considering the rebuilt/repaired/refitted Moguera a "second" Moguera is REALLY pushing it on Toho's part. That's like trying to claim the rebuilt/repaired/refitted Mechagodzilla from the end of GvMG'93 is a whole "second" Mechagodzilla, or the same with Super-X2 in GvB. I mean, I follow the logic behind it but it's still ridiculous.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Pkmatrix wrote:Yeah, I agree with TitanoGoji16: I think how we're supposed to take it is that the cells were taken from the hull of the first Moguera, although I agree that considering the rebuilt/repaired/refitted Moguera a "second" Moguera is REALLY pushing it on Toho's part. That's like trying to claim the rebuilt/repaired/refitted Mechagodzilla from the end of GvMG'93 is a whole "second" Mechagodzilla, or the same with Super-X2 in GvB. I mean, I follow the logic behind it but it's still ridiculous.
I'm aware the damage wasn't as severe (or didn't appear so) for Moguera, but wasn't Mechagodzilla II from Terror of Mechagodzilla also just a rebuilt version of 1974's Mechagodzilla?
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Pkmatrix wrote:Yeah, I agree with TitanoGoji16: I think how we're supposed to take it is that the cells were taken from the hull of the first Moguera, although I agree that considering the rebuilt/repaired/refitted Moguera a "second" Moguera is REALLY pushing it on Toho's part. That's like trying to claim the rebuilt/repaired/refitted Mechagodzilla from the end of GvMG'93 is a whole "second" Mechagodzilla, or the same with Super-X2 in GvB. I mean, I follow the logic behind it but it's still ridiculous.
I'm aware the damage wasn't as severe (or didn't appear so) for Moguera, but wasn't Mechagodzilla II from Terror of Mechagodzilla also just a rebuilt version of 1974's Mechagodzilla?
I believe it was, yes. That's probably the ultimate origin of the idea that there's a "Moguera I" and a "Moguera II", but if so that's kind of a false equivalence because ToMG's Mechagodzilla had to be rebuilt from the ground up due to, ya know, exploding. :lol: And as I said, the argument being applied to Moguera could be applied to U.N. Mechagodzilla and Super-X2 yet I don't think anyone considers the Super-Mechagodzilla a totally different thing from U.N. Mechagodzilla or the repaired Super-X2 from later in GvB to be a "Super-X2 II".

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Pkmatrix wrote:I believe it was, yes. That's probably the ultimate origin of the idea that there's a "Moguera I" and a "Moguera II", but if so that's kind of a false equivalence because ToMG's Mechagodzilla had to be rebuilt from the ground up due to, ya know, exploding. :lol: And as I said, the argument being applied to Moguera could be applied to U.N. Mechagodzilla and Super-X2 yet I don't think anyone considers the Super-Mechagodzilla a totally different thing from U.N. Mechagodzilla or the repaired Super-X2 from later in GvB to be a "Super-X2 II".
I think they justified Moguera becoming "Moguera II -SRF" when it was outfitted with some updated tech to help it combat SpaceGodzilla - namely, the MECM jamming system. Super Mechagodzilla's treated as a separate monster from MG1993 with the simple attachment of Garuda in pretty much all the text I've read. Super-XII, on the other hand, I don't believe was upgraded in any way after having its shields fried, but went in for maintenance to fix it, so it was completely identical to how it was before.

Basically, Super Mechagodzilla and Moguera II - SRF differed in some way to their previous versions on some technical level. This is all how I look at it, though.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Shobijin
Yojimbo

Post by Shobijin »

Not as bad as I remembered it. I am a fan of Little Godzilla. Touching ending.
Probably should have been a TV movie.
Amazing how fans love Godzilla Island for being cheesy but can't see the humor in this one.
Not sure why some fans say the Miki continuity isn't there either.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Possibly because in the next film, her relationship from this one and her growing powers are both absent? But not sure why anyone would say it is absent in this one.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I love this movie. It’s such silly garbage. Doesn’t quite approach the levels of cheese as the late showa era, but still has its fair share of silliness. I can see and understand fans at the time being annoyed with it after the films that came before. But,after the fact, I kind of love that this cartoony gem is just stuck right in the middle of the heisei series.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I love this movie. It’s such silly garbage. Doesn’t quite approach the levels of cheese as the late showa era, but still has its fair share of silliness. I can see and understand fans at the time being annoyed with it after the films that came before. But,after the fact, I kind of love that this cartoony gem is just stuck right in the middle of the heisei series.
Yeah, over time its unapologetic goofiness has led me to forgive a lot of its flaws. These days, it's no longer my least favorite Heisei flick, both because I've grown to appreciate it more, and because Mechagozilla II just gets worse every time I watch it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.