Which Unmade Heisei film would've you liked to see?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Which Unmade Heisei film would've you liked to see?

Post by LegendZilla »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:53 am I'm cool with what we got. The Heisei series was really great at taking awesome ideas and turning them into something mediocre.
Any more so than the Showa series?

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

BioGodzilla, Mothra vs Bagan, Godzilla vs King Kong, Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong, Godzilla vs. Astro Godzilla and some form of Godzilla vs Bagan.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

Definitely Godzilla vs. Ghost Godzilla, followed by Godzilla vs. Bagan.
Last edited by mikelcho on Fri Jul 16, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jan EnciZilla
Ronin

Post by Jan EnciZilla »

Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong and Mothra vs Bagan

Oh i missed Godzilla vs Varan
Last edited by Jan EnciZilla on Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

I am thinking the Godzilla vs Bagan one that had Godzilla turn into Super Godzilla. We never got to see Super Godzilla outside of a 2D video game that is older than I am, so personally I would love to have seen a new incarnation of Godzilla on screen. Not to mention Bagan seems to be a very unique kaiju with a lot of potential that probably has had more near misses than anyone in film. A close second would be Ghost Godzilla. Come on, I mean, how often do we get to see a Ghost Godzilla? Or supernatural elements in Godzilla at all? A very unique fantastical idea like that could really bring down the house if done well.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Honestly the Heisei Godzilla vs. King Kong draft still intrigues me. What the heck would a Cyber-Kong even look like?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jan EnciZilla
Ronin

Post by Jan EnciZilla »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:11 pm Honestly the Heisei Godzilla vs. King Kong draft still intrigues me. What the heck would a Cyber-Kong even look like?
Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong was 3 drafts. Composing them: some terrorists manage Godzilla into burning form, so USA put Mechani-Kong against it and put some scientists in goji for deactivate it

Strife
Young Farmer

Post by Strife »

I would have liked to see both the Berserk MG and the Transforming MG ideas blended smoothly into one film. It would have been fantastic to finally see a Godzilla and MechaGodzilla team up, against a foe that potentially outclasses both of them.

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

I'm curious about the vs Chaos film.

Aside from that, Mechani-Kong and Astrogodzilla for me.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Berserk is my preferred means of giving Mechagodzilla some much needed new life.

An unironically, the original Bagan duology I'd have actually liked quite a bit given it entailed stuff like aliens and magic which we otherwise very rarely dabbled with in the Heisei era.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Godzilla vs Mechani-Kong

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Godzilla: Legend of the Asuka Fortress - That's the one where he fights Skynet and which eventually became Gunhed, right? I would've liked to have seen that one.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

H-Man wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:44 pm Godzilla: Legend of the Asuka Fortress - That's the one where he fights Skynet and which eventually became Gunhed, right? I would've liked to have seen that one.
No. Asuka Fortress was a late Showa film. What you're thinking of is simply called Godzilla 2 and was made for the same contest that resulted in Biollante.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:11 am
H-Man wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:44 pm Godzilla: Legend of the Asuka Fortress - That's the one where he fights Skynet and which eventually became Gunhed, right? I would've liked to have seen that one.
No. Asuka Fortress was a late Showa film. What you're thinking of is simply called Godzilla 2 and was made for the same contest that resulted in Biollante.
Thank you. Put me down for Godzilla 2 then.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Probably the original idea for the last Heisei film with Varan. Always found the concept of reinventing him as an apocalyptic beast neat and somewhat in line with the "Baradagi" mythos in his debut film and I actually like the notion of a more optimistic and less tragic ending where Godzilla and Jr make peace with Humanity.

Also not gonna lie that it would have been intriguing to see the Heisei version of KKvG, especially that batshit insane detail about Kong being revived as a cyborg. Just visualising that is nuts lol.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Said it before. I'll say it again. No matter how cool or interesting unused ideas sound, the end results would have been no different than the films we did end up getting. It's nice to dream about what we could have gotten, but there always seems to be this unspoken feeling from people that what we could have gotten would have been better than what we did get. I doubt it thought. Cause '90s Toho.

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:32 am Said it before. I'll say it again. No matter how cool or interesting unused ideas sound, the end results would have been no different than the films we did end up getting. It's nice to dream about what we could have gotten, but there always seems to be this unspoken feeling from people that what we could have gotten would have been better than what we did get. I doubt it thought. Cause '90s Toho.
100% agreed. For all we know some of these films could have been the worst the franchise has ever seen and far outclassing stuff like Godzilla Vs Spacegodzilla. And as you said, just from how the rest of late 90's Heisei turned out to be written ideas might feel completely different if not executed to their full extent. It's just fun to speculate about "what if" scenarios I guess.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Dv-218 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:04 am Probably the original idea for the last Heisei film with Varan. Always found the concept of reinventing him as an apocalyptic beast neat and somewhat in line with the "Baradagi" mythos in his debut film and I actually like the notion of a more optimistic and less tragic ending where Godzilla and Jr make peace with Humanity.

Also not gonna lie that it would have been intriguing to see the Heisei version of KKvG, especially that batshit insane detail about Kong being revived as a cyborg. Just visualising that is nuts lol.
When it comes to King Kong going mothertrucking cyborg. I always think of the Spawn frenemy Cy-Gor when it comes to Cyborg-Kong's appearance.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dv-218 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:35 am
Legion1979 wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 7:32 am Said it before. I'll say it again. No matter how cool or interesting unused ideas sound, the end results would have been no different than the films we did end up getting. It's nice to dream about what we could have gotten, but there always seems to be this unspoken feeling from people that what we could have gotten would have been better than what we did get. I doubt it thought. Cause '90s Toho.
100% agreed. For all we know some of these films could have been the worst the franchise has ever seen and far outclassing stuff like Godzilla Vs Spacegodzilla. And as you said, just from how the rest of late 90's Heisei turned out to be written ideas might feel completely different if not executed to their full extent. It's just fun to speculate about "what if" scenarios I guess.
The same could easily apply to literally every unmade Showa film.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

The One and Only wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 1:21 pm When it comes to King Kong going mothertrucking cyborg. I always think of the Spawn frenemy Cy-Gor when it comes to Cyborg-Kong's appearance.
Oh my God! I had that toy as a kid! I completely forgot about it until seeing this picture.

Those Spawn toys man...they were fragile as all get out, but man did they look fantastic on display.

Anyways, the unmade Heisei movie I always wanted to see was Godzilla Vs. Ghost Godzilla. An easy answer, I know, but how can I not love it? Its basically Godzilla meets The Exorcist. I can resist that idea, haha.