Mothra's seal

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Mothra's seal

Post by Zasraniec »

So at the end of the Heisei vs Mothra film film when Mothra creates that seal over where Godzilla and Battra fell in the water what was the point of that? I always thought it was to seal Godzilla Desghidorah style but we all see how well that worked. Was it ever confirmed what it did? Was to to try to seal Godzilla or used for something else?

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Re: Mothra's seal

Post by Desghidorah »

Maybe it was just to get him to calm the heck down after being set off by the meteor and territoriality.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It is a bit strange how in the next film Godzilla inexplicably re-appears, and this time after being called out by the egg. I like the "calming down" idea, but it's also possible it's just a temporary seal.

However: remember that Godzilla isn't the only monster down there, so is Battra. It's possible it also serves as a "funeral" for Battra.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I also feel that it was a way to honor Battra for his sacrifice.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

It's just a carryover from the modified "Mothra vs. Bagan" treatment. It acted as a seal in that story, but here, I guess they kept it because it was a cool visual. There was supposed to be a little more to it, like Stonehenge rocks were supposed to appear or something, it's hidden away in one of the Japanese books somewhere.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Yeah it's certainly the result of Battle for Earth being a weird Frankenstein'ing of Mothra vs. Bagan and Godzilla vs. Gigamoth, with the Bagan's role effectively split between Godzilla and Battra. Aside from being set off by the meteor and being aggressive in general, Godzilla has literally no stated reason to be so hellbent on killing Mothra. So I just kinda took it as the meteor set off Godzilla into a sort of berserk rage given the Heisei Godzilla, even at his worst, usually had some reason to act out. And as LSD lamented, Godzilla started acting more placid after this film so maybe Mothra had a hand in giving him a chill pill.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Desghidorah wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:23 am Yeah it's certainly the result of Battle for Earth being a weird Frankenstein'ing of Mothra vs. Bagan and Godzilla vs. Gigamoth, with the Bagan's role effectively split between Godzilla and Battra. Aside from being set off by the meteor and being aggressive in general, Godzilla has literally no stated reason to be so hellbent on killing Mothra. So I just kinda took it as the meteor set off Godzilla into a sort of berserk rage given the Heisei Godzilla, even at his worst, usually had some reason to act out. And as LSD lamented, Godzilla started acting more placid after this film so maybe Mothra had a hand in giving him a chill pill.
Godzilla sensed Mothra as a threat at first and then he was fighting Battra the rest of the film. Mothra then decides to help Battra against Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GigaBowserG wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:29 am It's just a carryover from the modified "Mothra vs. Bagan" treatment. It acted as a seal in that story, but here, I guess they kept it because it was a cool visual. There was supposed to be a little more to it, like Stonehenge rocks were supposed to appear or something, it's hidden away in one of the Japanese books somewhere.
That would've been a nice addition to the scene; Giving Battra tomb of sorts.

The seal had more practical use in the first RoM film, sealing in Desghidorah.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

The Calico
Ronin

Post by The Calico »

Maybe I misunderstood, but I thought that the seal was Mothra's promise to Battra, to stop the meteor from reaching Earth.

When we first see the seal, we hear the mystery theme (the same musical theme as when the characters came across the Infant Island cave mural but did not understand the pictures). So we are not yet meant to know what the seal is.

In the next scene, the Cosmos mention a promise. From her reaction, I think Miki had a moment of realization that, just as someone might raise their hand to take an oath, Mothra was making a gesture to "seal" or bind herself to her promise to Battra.