Favourite Original Monster

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What is your Favourite Original Monster?

Biollante
55%
Battra
6%
SpaceGodzilla
6%
Destoroyah
23%
Desghidorah
6%
Dagahra
3%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 31

Voyager
Keizer

Favourite Original Monster

Post by Voyager »

Despite mixed feelings about GvD, Destoroyah wins by a landslide. I love his design, origin, powers, roar and he does deserve being the Heisei Godzilla’s final opponent.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Re: Favourite Original Monster

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Biollante by a fucking landslide. She has a cool and unique design, an interesting if bizarre backstory and is realized exceptionally well onscreen; the latter is the aspect that kills most of the others. I actually like all of the kaiju listed here to some degree but none of the others were executed as well on film.

Destoroyah's design is pretty badass but his actual origin as a product of the Oxygen Destroyer is pretty half-baked. Still, he's the runner-up.

Death Ghidorah is a cool new take on our favorite three-headed villain and proof that a quadrupedal Ghidorah can be done well; suck it, Keizer.

Space Godzilla and Dagahra both have the misfortune of starring in two of the worst kaiju films ever produced by Toho. Rebirth of Mothra 2 might be the worst tokusatsu film associated with the company. Anyway, I feel about the same about both: interesting concepts, somewhat cool designs, poorly executed onscreen thanks to big clunky costumes.

Not sure why Battra isn't listed here; is he not "original" enough? Because he's as different from Mothra as Space G is from Godzilla in my opinion. Anyway, I like him a lot and he places third among the new Heisei kaiju for me. His larval form is beautiful and, despite having the misfortune of being portrayed by a shitty prop, his imago form is cool, too. I think he's a character who could be revived and improved upon in a future movie.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

HedorahIsBestGirl wrote:Biollante by a fucking landslide. She has a cool and unique design, an interesting if bizarre backstory and is realized exceptionally well onscreen; the latter is the aspect that kills most of the others. I actually like all of the kaiju listed here to some degree but none of the others were executed as well on film.

Destoroyah's design is pretty badass but his actual origin as a product of the Oxygen Destroyer is pretty half-baked. Still, he's the runner-up.

Death Ghidorah is a cool new take on our favorite three-headed villain and proof that a quadrupedal Ghidorah can be done well; suck it, Keizer.

Space Godzilla and Dagahra both have the misfortune of starring in two of the worst kaiju films ever produced by Toho. Rebirth of Mothra 2 might be the worst tokusatsu film associated with the company. Anyway, I feel about the same about both: interesting concepts, somewhat cool designs, poorly executed onscreen thanks to big clunky costumes.

Not sure why Battra isn't listed here; is he not "original" enough? Because he's as different from Mothra as Space G is from Godzilla in my opinion. Anyway, I like him a lot and he places third among the new Heisei kaiju for me. His larval form is beautiful and, despite having the misfortune of being portrayed by a shitty prop, his imago form is cool, too. I think he's a character who could be revived and improved upon in a future movie.
Sorry, I forgot about Battra! You're gonna have to revote because of the edit.
Last edited by Voyager on Sat Jun 27, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For Emperor and Empire!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Biollante by far
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Biollante gets my vote. I remember the first time I saw her in the film for the climactic battle and my jaw dropped. Its HUGE, has a terrific and terrifying design, and much to my amazement, they were able to get that thing to interact pretty well with Godzilla and even move across the set. Its an incredible piece of practical effects work and a true marvel, and the creature fit perfectly within the story that was being told.

As for the rest:

Can we count Mecha Ghidorah in this? Screw it, I'm counting him. Mecha Ghidorah is awesome and a nice new version of the classic kaiju. I also loved the constant role reversal Godzilla and Ghidorah play with each other throughout the film, and Mecha Ghidorah makes for a fantastic wild card to throw in for the climax.

Battra...I am usually not a huge fan of "doppleganger" villains as its an all too easy trope to fall back on and having "Dark Mothra" flying around seems silly on paper. It also doesn't help that GVM92 is my least favorite of the Heisei films, but there is more to Battra than all that as he isn't strictly evil, but working to preserve the Earth in a way that someone like Mothra would oppose. Also, it is a pretty wicked cool design, even in Larval form.

SpaceGodzilla, speaking of silly evil dopplegangers, here's Spacegodzilla! Okay, I have to admit, I actually kind of like this guy. Its completely goofy, but its fun to see a kaiju with telekinetic powers, and I always liked the crystal motif, both in the design, and in the locations it appears in, which makes the staging grounds for the fight more interesting. Also, it is funny to me how eye-catching Spacegodzilla is for the uninitiated. I was showing off my DVDs and Blu Rays to someone last year, and she said to me "Wait, THERE' A SPACEGODZILLA?!?!" and that is not the first time I've gotten a reaction like that, lol.

I love Destoroyah! Fantastic Satan like design and we get to see a full evolution and different creatures all throughout the film. The ties to the Oxygen Destroyer is also a neat way to help bookend this film with the 1954 original. I'm not going to lie. I would have liked to get the Ghost Godzilla film and us not getting it is a huge regret of mine, but what we did get is great, and Destroyah is on the short list of monsters I hope come back in a film one day.

Desghidorah...eh. I don't really have to say anything about him. He's just a less interesting version of Ghidorah...that's about it.

Now Dagahra I liked! His manta ray like design was really unique and different, and he fit the water setting perfectly. Its amazing that out of all the original Heisei monsters, Dagahra is the only one to return in a movie? Granted it was a cameo in the prologue of a film, but still.

Speaking of that, we all have a bunch of classic monsters we want to see return. Mothra, Ghidorah, and Mechagodzilla always do, the Son of Godzilla is a regular, and if we're lucky, we get Rodan too. But so many others tend to get left out. And while we all want to see Gigan, Anguirus, Varan, and Baragon make their grand returns, lets not forget that the Heisei monsters gave us a great group that deserve a return down the road as well. I'd especially love to see Biollante and Destroyah come back at some point.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Although Biollante has the better film by far, i have a softspot for SpaceGodzilla just by being the cheesiest kaiju toho ever created.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Destoroyah gets my vote! I also love Biollante and Spacegodzilla, Desghidorah is cool as well.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Biollante gets my vote

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm kind of shocked at how completely Biollante is dominating the poll. I expected some of the others to put up a better fight than this! I'm not exactly helping matters, though; she got my vote, too. None of the Heisei originals are big favorites of mine, but Biollante was by far the best executed of them, starred in the best movie, and had the most standout design.

Spacegodzilla and Battra are the runners-up. Neither was handled well in their respective movies, but both have a ton of potential that Toho needs to start making use of. Not going to happen, but I'd love to see a conflicted anti-hero Battra replace Mothra for a few movies.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Battra.

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

Don't ask, but I LOVE Dagahra.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Destoroyah is my all-time favorite monster so... yeah, this is an easy one. Biollante comes close, though.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I'm quite fine of Desghidorah myself. Better example of another Ghidorah that's not King Ghidorah than Keizer was, both in design and execution.
Resized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Biollante for the win!
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

Biollante, the concept and the movie just sell me on the character so much more than anything that followed.

Plus I consider it the last good Heisei film. *shrugs*