Has 98 been made completely irrelevant?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Has 98 been made completely irrelevant?

Post by Dr. Professor »

Zarm wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Okay, now that sounds echinodermish. A british, highly-educated marine invertebrate with a doctorate and professorship, sure. But a human being? Now that's just straining credulity, here.
Woah hold the phone there, Zarm. I never said I was British. Just that I went to a British school.
Well, now you're clearly just making things up. Such a thing could only happen in some bizarre science fiction world.

I think I might have to side with your nemesis. I can't trust you anymore.
Wow. That hurts, Zarm.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Dr. Professor wrote:
Zarm wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote: Woah hold the phone there, Zarm. I never said I was British. Just that I went to a British school.
Well, now you're clearly just making things up. Such a thing could only happen in some bizarre science fiction world.

I think I might have to side with your nemesis. I can't trust you anymore.
Wow. That hurts, Zarm.
It's your own fault for not being plausible. Going to school in a country other than the one you live in? That's just crazy talk, echinoderm.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Has this thread been made completely irrelevant?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:Has this thread been made completely irrelevant?
Has this forum been made completely irrelevant...?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

A. That's hilarious, and
B. Okay, your avatar really creeps me out every time I see it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Zarm wrote:
A. That's hilarious, and
B. Okay, your avatar really creeps me out every time I see it.
His avatar creeps me out too, but only because it takes me a second to realize it's him now.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Is 98 irrelevant? No not really. Like any part of this franchise it will continue to be discussed and debated about for as long as the franchise continues. I do think its impact on the future of the franchise moving forward is definitely diminished from the early 2000's. For years it was all we had to compare any potential american Godzilla or kaiju films to come but with the advent of the Monsterverse I do think its influence is waning.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:However, I could’ve sworn this hatred used to be more, and 98 got referenced a lot more in discussions.
Well, yeah. It's been nearly 21 years, dude.

I thought it was absurd people were bringing it up and still seemed so emotional about it back in 2013 and 2014 just before the first Legendary film came out. There are now lifelong adult fans for whom G'98 is literally ancient history from before they were born.

My opinion has always been that the only reason it kept being brought up was because it was the only thing to discuss when it came to Hollywood and Godzilla. And considering the widespread DOOM-and-GLOOM that beset this fandom in the years that followed, especially between 2004 and 2014, it was an easy scapegoat for those who convinced themselves the franchise was dead and gone forever, a nice easy answer to everything. But we're a LONG ways from the Post-Millennium dry period now. It'd be like people bringing up and constantly referencing Godzilla vs. Megalon in that period, we're just so far removed from all of that it makes no sense to do so anymore for many people.

That the fandom is a bit younger now than it was in the '00s, and that a lot of younger fans have never felt the same hatred for G'98 as older fans did, is probably a factor too.