Fixing Godzilla 1998

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Fixing Godzilla 1998

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

eabaker wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Rework the ENTIRE plot, as in completely purge the human narrative and start from scratch, recast Nick Tatopolous and Audrey, beef up Godzilla a bit, as in make him impervious to weapons, give him an atomic breath, take away the asexual baby Godzilla subplot and BAM, got yourself a decent Godzilla movie.
In other words, make a 100% different movie.
Pretty much, there’s not a whole lot you could salvage from this movie, besides the design, which has grown on me. Give him atomic breath and make him more durable and he’d be a winner winner chicken dinner
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Thu Aug 16, 2018 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Have there be both a male and female Godzilla.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Aug 25, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LegendZilla wrote:Have their be both a male and female Godzilla.
How does this help anything
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
Because right now the movie is SJW LGBTQ+ propaganda, with its clearly anti-social commie assertion that anywhere in nature sex and gender might not be a pure binary system? ;)
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Aug 25, 2018 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

eabaker wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Because right now the movie is SJW LGBTQ+ propaganda, with its clearly anti-social commie assertion that anywhere in nature sex and gender might not be a pure binary system? ;)
Fuckin' commies...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I would have added a giant worm to the plot, which would make far more sense for Mathew Brodrick’s character to even be there in the first place.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Aug 26, 2018 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Have Spielberg direct it.

I'm not saying that would have guaranteed greatness, because as we've seen, the great Steven isn't exactly infallible.

HOWEVER, he is clearly a fan and would have approached the film in a way that would pay homage to the character's legacy while also making it accessible for American audiences. The Tristar film felt like they just wanted to go straight for domestic audiences, throw the baby out with the bathwater, and tell all previous incarnations of the character to shove it.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Problem wasn't only with direction, though. Was also with writing and acting. Horrible, nightmare-inducing acting.

This film is basically a perfect storm of terrible things, all thrown together.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Maritonic wrote:Problem wasn't only with direction, though. Was also with writing and acting. Horrible, nightmare-inducing acting.

True, but a good director effects writing, casting, and the performances you get out of the actors.

I mean look at Samuel Jackson and Natalie Portman. Both are fine actors, and Jackson has a very commanding presence in most movies he's in. Now look at them in the Prequel Star Wars films under Lucas' eye. They are so wooden, I could have made a gazebo out of them.

Give them a better director to get better performances out of them, and you might have had something.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GojiDog wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Problem wasn't only with direction, though. Was also with writing and acting. Horrible, nightmare-inducing acting.

True, but a good director effects writing, casting, and the performances you get out of the actors.

I mean look at Samuel Jackson and Natalie Portman. Both are fine actors, and Jackson has a very commanding presence in most movies he's in. Now look at them in the Prequel Star Wars films under Lucas' eye. They are so wooden, I could have made a gazebo out of them.

Give them a better director to get better performances out of them, and you might have had something.
Valid points, but a lot of the problem with the Star Wars prequels was that it had to be Lucas' way and that was that. Whereas in the original trilogy, there were many cooks in the kitchen.

But I get what you mean. Frankly, I don't think Devlin/Emmerich have a good film to their name except for Independence Day and even then, it's not good just enjoyable.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Well, without Devlin and Emmerich aboard, there'd have been different - potentially much better - writing. And, as GojiDog pointed out, the bad acting is not for the most part the result of the actors being bad. A director's foremost job is supposed to be guiding the actors and facilitating their processes. Most of the cast of Godzilla are good or very good actors, but they lacked any decent guidance.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

SonOfGorgo wrote:My solution is simple: Use the original script by Rossio & Elliott instead.
This. It wasn’t perfect, far from it, but it would have made for a far better film. Not just a better Godzilla movie, but a better movie period.

I finally read those “Godzilla Unmade” articles from Sci-Fi Japan a few weeks back, and it actually managed to piss me off. I had known about G94 for years, read the script a few times, seen the concept art, etc. But it was really something to see just how many talented people were attached to the project, how enthusiastic they were about the project, the respect they had for the source material, and how close it came to being made before Sony pulled the plug.

And then they handed it to Emmerich and Devlin, who had made it clear how much they disliked Godzilla and had previously turned down the project before, and who only accepted because they couldn’t make the asteroid movie they had wanted to make thanks to Armageddon and Deep Impact being made at the same time. And then the two fucked it up in just about every way imaginable.

The worst part is how G’98 wound up being how a generation of Western moviegoers saw Godzilla. Even twenty years, seven Toho films, two Netflix animes, and a new American reboot with a sequel on the way, there are plenty of people whose first thought when they hear “Godzilla” is of the 1998 film. Had De Bont’s Godzilla been released in 1996 like originally intended, I’m certain it would have been a success. Could you imagine what might have happened? We might have already had an American Godzilla trilogy.

And as a side note, Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt would have made for much better leads than Matthew Broderick and (especially) Maria Pitillo.
Last edited by G2000 on Fri Sep 07, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

G2000 wrote:
SonOfGorgo wrote:My solution is simple: Use the original script by Rossio & Elliott instead.
This. It wasn’t perfect, far from it, but it would have made for a far better film. Not just a better Godzilla movie, but a better movie period.

I finally read those “Godzilla Unmade” articles from Sci-Fi Japan a few weeks back, and it actually managed to piss me off. I had known about G94 for years, read the script a few times, seen the concept art, etc. But it was really something to see just how many talented people were attached to the project, how enthusiastic they were about the project, the respect they had for the source material, and how close it came to being made before Sony pulled the plug.

And then they handed it to Emmerich and Devlin, who had made it clear how much they disliked Godzilla and had previously turned down the project before, and who only accepted because they couldn’t make the asteroid movie they had wanted to make thanks to Armageddon and Deep Impact being made at the same time. And then the two skreeonked it up in just about every way imaginable.

The worst part is how G’98 wound up being how a generation of Western moviegoers saw Godzilla. Even twenty years, seven Toho films, two Netflix animes, and a new American reboot with a sequel on the way, there are plenty of people whose first thought when they hear “Godzilla” is of the 1998 film. Had De Bont’s Godzilla been released in 1996 like originally intended, I’m certain it would have been a success. Could you imagine what might have happened? We might have already had an American Godzilla trilogy.

And as a side note, Bill Paxton and Helen Hunt would have made for much better leads than Matthew Broderick and (especially) Maria Pitillo.
I gotta say, reading the reactions of all people who were attached to the project after the plug got pulled is pretty heartbreaking...You can really tell how much talent and crearivity was put into it.

I completely agree that while it has it's problems, it would have ultimately been a better Godzilla movie and a better movie in general. Sony was never good with making good choices :lol:

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If I had time-travel tech, I’d just go back and time and get the Debont film to be made instead.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:If I had time-travel tech, I’d just go back and time and get the Debont film to be made instead.
I wouldn't, Debont's Godzilla would have likely earased the last two Heisei films, the entire mellimium series and the Monsterverse.

What we got worked out better.

Though if we also got Godzilla vs Godzilla...
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:If I had time-travel tech, I’d just go back and time and get the Debont film to be made instead.
I wouldn't, Debont's Godzilla would have likely earased the last two Heisei films, the entire millennium series and the Monsterverse.

What we got worked out better.

Though if we also got Godzilla vs Godzilla...
It would've only erased everything post Destoroyah if it was released in 1996 as intended. Why would you or anyone for that matter give a damn if the Millenium series, Monsterverse, or Shin get erased? So long if Debont's film actually turned out good.

On the other hand, one potential perk of Debont’s film would be an even better animated tie in, replacing GTS.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jul 14, 2020 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd rather the Millennium Series, Monsterverse, and Shin over one maybe good film from 96.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

_JNavs_ wrote:I'd rather the Millennium Series, Monsterverse, and Shin over one maybe good film from 96.
You people neglect to think about what other good things could come out of such a timeline.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jul 15, 2020 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LegendZilla wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I'd rather the Millennium Series, Monsterverse, and Shin over one maybe good film from 96.
You people neglect to think about what other good things could come out of such a timeline.

You people is a very poor choice of words to be using with me.

Secondly while G98 was bad GtS rocked.

Godzilla 2000 and GMK were awesome, Kotm was the best Godzilla film to me in years. Why would I trade several good Godzilla films for one film that would have been middle of the ground based on the script.

I accept the good with the bad in this franchise, without 98 I don't get Monsterverse or a rematch with Kong nor do I get the feeling of seeing Godzilla come back in 2000.

Added in 3 minutes 12 seconds:
This and an action figure are the only things I regret not happening from losing the first tristar Godzilla and a figure is still possible one day.

https://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_roo ... _1994.html
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

I haven't seen G98 in a long, long time so I don't know basically anything about the human plot. For that reason, I'll just be focusing on the kaiju.

Godzilla looks fine already but I think she could benefit from having a slightly more classic posture. Something like the Charles R. Knight Tyrannosaurus where it has the kangaroo posture but doesn't drag its tail would work. Adding some bulk wouldn't hurt, either. As for abilities, that's getting more of a revamp. First of all, don't have her get killed by missiles. Sure, they can harm her but don't make them fatal. In my ideal G98, they'd be like punches: they hurt a little but if you're healthy and/or young, you can recover and fight back pretty easily. Also, she's missing his atomic breath. I've got a scenario for that, actually.

Godzilla's at the Empire State Building, roaring into the sky when suddenly, lightning strikes her in the face. The giant reptile collapses, seemingly dead. The human cast celebrate when they hear a faint crackling noise. Godzilla's body starts to flash a vibrant turquoise. Tanks and soldiers show up at the scene to investigate when the glow disappears. Nothing but rain hitting the ground can be heard. Suddenly, Godzilla twists over and fires a blue-ish green laser at everything around her. Nick and the others are able to take cover but the military is vaporized, instantly. The monster gets up and lets out a booming roar, its veins glowing with atomic energy.

Her scrapped camouflage ability would be really cool, too. Imagine a group of helicopters searching for Godzilla when they get picked off one-by-one, unknown by the others. I'll go ahead and scrap the Jurassic Park babies. The whole "we need to kill the babies" thing will still be there but most of them will never hatch. Instead, there will be 2 or 3 hatchlings that walk on all fours and are venomous. There's a chase scene while one of them tries to kill and eat the main characters. Eventually, the creature is tricked into getting its throat crushed via elevator door. Then, the egg cluster will be found and MSG is blown up just like in the film. But how will the adult Godzilla be defeated? A strange substance is found in the places where Godzilla fired her atomic breath. This material is then built into special missiles designed to kill Godzilla. Jets carrying these missiles fly towards Godzilla, who is trapped in the Brooklyn Bridge like in the film. The first shot is taken out by the target's atomic breath and the second ends up partially freeing her from the bridge. The third and final missile, however, hits Godzilla right in the throat. The chemical mixture in the missile ends up dissolving Godzilla's entire body. With a final, gurgling roar, the Bane of Manhattan falls into the ocean.