How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Title explains it all. We all know that the ancient lost civilization Atlantis created Gamera but the question remains how? Guess this is a headcanon of ours to how they did it. Personally for me this is what they did.

Considering their features I like to think the Atlanteans created them by using the DNA of various creatures both extant and extinct. Gamera I think they created him using the DNA of turtle (Appearance), saber-toothed cat (Fangs) and human (Standing upright and as intelligent). Whereas with the Gyaos were created with the DNA of that of bird (Bird-like screeching), lizard/snake (reptilian features) and bat (Appearance). As for Iris I feel they did the same like with the Gyaos' but instead modified and tampered with his DNA hence why he looks much more different from them.

What about you guys?
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I never did really understand how Iris was supposed to be a Gyaos...

I'd say they simply took the base animal, and used some engineering tricks to alter them and make them do incredible things. Gamera is a snapping turtle, but altered to have mana/plasma abilities, t obe smart and stand upright, and to be intelligence. I would guess the Gyaos base animal is a bat, or some other now extinct animal that was endemic to the Atlantean continent.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

I believe Shusuke Kaneko has said the Gamera Heisei trilogy takes place in a world where real turtles don't exist or something, so Gamera is seen as especially strange due to matching no known species.

The interpretation I got from accounts of the Gamera vs. Barugon manga is that Iris was an early attempt to engineer a creature to combat Gyaos, so they used the base genome of Gyaos and gave the creature the ability to adapt its own DNA.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

King of the Monsters wrote:I believe Shusuke Kaneko has said the Gamera Heisei trilogy takes place in a world where real turtles don't exist or something, so Gamera is seen as especially strange due to matching no known species.
Woah... seriously?

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Yeah I'd have to find an actual interview or something where he says it, but I know I've read that multiple times. I've seen it used as proof that Gamera the Brave isn't part of the same continuity, since the characters immediately recognize Toto as a turtle. I don't believe Gamera is ever referred to as or compared to a turtle in any of the films of the trilogy.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

King of the Monsters wrote:Yeah I'd have to find an actual interview or something where he says it, but I know I've read that multiple times. I've seen it used as proof that Gamera the Brave isn't part of the same continuity, since the characters immediately recognize Toto as a turtle. I don't believe Gamera is ever referred to as or compared to a turtle in any of the films of the trilogy.
I think possibly it is in the dubs, but I could be wrong. But I doubt whoever wrote the English scripts was informed of Kaneko's own secret lore, so that's not proof against it.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Don't know what's in it, but the making-of book for Gamera: Guardian of the Universe had a manga depicting the destruction of Atlantis that might have shed light on this.
Personally I don't think animal DNA was used to create the kaiju. I think it's more like they were made supernaturally, like golems perhaps.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

King of the Monsters wrote:I believe Shusuke Kaneko has said the Gamera Heisei trilogy takes place in a world where real turtles don't exist or something, so Gamera is seen as especially strange due to matching no known species.
Huh...That's interesting, would like a source for that but its okay if you can't find since I would think its hard to find.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Best I can find right now is a mention on Japanese Wikipedia that Shinji Higuchi clarified this in an issue of SCREEN magazine. It doesn't say what issue though. I know I've read other sources saying this, so if anyone happens to find any leads do say so.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I believe they used as much magic as science to create them, something like the Numidium from The Elder Scrolls series.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
Huh...That's interesting, would like a source for that but its okay if you can't find since I would think its hard to find.
Wish I could find the source of the quote as well, it was suppose to be from a SciFi Japan back in 2003, but their archives don't go back that far anymore. During an interview it asked why no one called Gamera a giant turtle in the films, Kaneko responded by saying it was because the world where the film takes place didn't have turtles.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

^So it's like the Nolan Batman movies, where no one has ever heard of a super hero?
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would assume that the Atlanteans took animals, like a turtle, lizard, bat, etc, to create the monsters. With enough gene manipulation, they could create virtually anything. I suppose some magic or mystic explanation could also be considered, when you think about Gamera and his connection with the claw amulets.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

bought the eggs from an infomercial and left them in water for 24 hours

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I think its possible that Gamera could be a bio-mechanical being.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Its confirmed in the Gamera vs Barugon manga Atlantis made more kaiju besides Gyaos, Irys, and Gamera

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Like Jiger and Zigra?
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

edgaguirus wrote:Like Jiger and Zigra?
Both are featured as the other kaiju. I'll post a pic later

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Does anyone have the "Legend" manga that was included with the "Making of Gamera: Guardian of the Universe?"

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

"Whenever you see something like that, a wizard did it" - Lucy Lawless
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.