Positive things about the Heisei Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Re: Positive things about the Heisei Series

Post by ShinGojira14 »

A lot of their cutting room concepts were some of the wackiest and coolest stuff imaginable. Under the right writers, so many of them could’ve made for some of the most banger Godzilla stories ever told. Berserk/MechaGodzilla and Baruburoi would’ve made for some really interesting villains for the Big G to face off with—to say nothing about my personal favorite, Ghost Godzilla.

If there’s one positive thing I can say about the Heisei era, is that there was a lot of creativity at its feet—even down to the cutting room.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

I liked the puppets and beams a lot, and the combat mechas are generally pretty good. The Heisei movies are uneven, but when its good its really good. I'm a big fan of Shinji Nishikawa's and Minoru Yoshida's design work for the creatures they brought to life.

Vs Mothra is one of the weaker entries in the Heisei films, but it also has some of the better sfx segments. The volcano sequence is way better than VS Biollante's and the miniature sets for Yokohama give off a great sense of scale.
Last edited by StardustGenius on Tue Apr 04, 2023 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

There are a few positives about the Heisei era from 1984 to 1995 it's the time when Godzilla was a continuous story with the same characters throughout till the very end. It showed how Godzilla was vulnerable and over time all the nuclear radiation he absorbed ultimately killed him, showcasing that he was not invincible as most people think. There is way too much information out there making it seem that Heisei Godzilla's are untouchable, and no other versions can take them down that is false they have weaknesses that can be exploited. There are many plot-holes that are not explained and are often overlooked as well, but that is a story for a different time.

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

"Continious story" in of itself is a positive or negative thing. I can see the argument for a more developed Godzilla as a character, but I think there's more to the positives in the Heisei series than what you're saying.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

The one real good thing about the continuity is that it allowed audiences to follow the same Godzilla for multiple films and develop an attachment to him, which is the only reason the ending to Destroyer works. I couldn't give a rat's ass about any of the later Godzillas because they're usually just one and done, or have literally zippo personality.

Amp87
Samurai

Post by Amp87 »

StardustGenius wrote: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:14 am "Continious story" in of itself is a positive or negative thing. I can see the argument for a more developed Godzilla as a character, but I think there's more to the positives in the Heisei series than what you're saying.
It all depends on who you ask honestly

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

It started strong with Return and especially Vs Biollante. They're all equally creative without falling into to much cheese. Besides 84 and 89 the model work might have been downgraded from Showa but the post-effects (laser beams and things like that) are a huge improvement over the Showa era. The mecha are all dope. Besides Mothra and SpaceGodzilla the movies are all great, and them two are still decent enough once in a while. The monster designs are all top notch except Baby Godzilla looking like a chibi anime thing. The Soundtracks are all amazing. Generally it's way way better than most of the fandom treats it. People put Showa on a pedestal but honestly I think the Heisei era was slightly better than Showa, not that Showa was bad but it had way more quality control issues in general.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

That last part is where I disagree, since I think Showa's sfx were pretty consistently good and had more dire outside circumstances to deal with than the Heisei movies.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

AbudJasemAlBaldawi wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:35 am It started strong with Return and especially Vs Biollante. They're all equally creative without falling into to much cheese. Besides 84 and 89 the model work might have been downgraded from Showa but the post-effects (laser beams and things like that) are a huge improvement over the Showa era. The mecha are all dope. Besides Mothra and SpaceGodzilla the movies are all great, and them two are still decent enough once in a while. The monster designs are all top notch except Baby Godzilla looking like a chibi anime thing. The Soundtracks are all amazing. Generally, it's way way better than most of the fandom treats it. People put Showa on a pedestal but honestly, I think the Heisei era was slightly better than Showa, not that Showa was bad but it had way more quality control issues in general.
To be fair, Kawakita was demoralized greatly demoralized by GVB's box office failure and took up drinking. In addition, he objected to the studio pumping out Godzilla films on a yearly basis.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I mean, one good thing about the series is that the first two entries are nearly perfect Godziller flicks.

AbudJasemAlBaldawi
Monarch Researcher

Post by AbudJasemAlBaldawi »

StardustGenius wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 6:47 am That last part is where I disagree, since I think Showa's sfx were pretty consistently good and had more dire outside circumstances to deal with than the Heisei movies.
Idk where you guys get that. Showa's effects were aesthetically fun to look at, but in terms of realism the monsters consistently looked terrible other than a few shots, but I can agree the miniatures and destruction shots were generally better in the Showa era.
What do you believe in, heaven or hell?
You don't believe in heaven 'cause we're livin' in hell...

StardustGenius
JXSDF Technician

Post by StardustGenius »

Realism is not the aesthetic these movies aim for, in neither era of the analog tokusatsu movies. The aesthetic they specifically go for is something "nice to look at". Any realism that happens is a beneficial side effect.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

+ New Kaiju designs
+ Musical scores
+ The relatively strong continuity (GvKG notwithstanding.....)
+ Some of the best Godzilla designs ever outside of MV and KiryuGoji
+ Some genuinely great characters
+ The fact it had a genuine beginning and end