Monster Discussion #56: Grand King Ghidorah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: Monster Discussion #56: Grand King Ghidorah

Post by GojiDog »

Ivo-goji wrote:
GojiDog wrote:He has a plan and he wants to enact it, but that just makes me want to ask why is he doing what he's doing? I mean what good does it do Ghidorah to kill all the dinosaurs and kill all humanity?
He was eating. The dome was a giant stomach that fills with acid and digests the children inside. Once the dome was finished consuming them it would turn into another meteor and allow him to travel to another planet. He abducts children because they are younger and have more life energy in them for him to feed off of. It's the reverse of Death Ghidorah from the first RoM movie who targeted plant life because trees live longer than humans or animals.

This was explained perfectly well in the film.
Oh...that actually makes more sense now, lol.

OK I retract my earlier statement.

Doesn't necessarily save the film for me, but at least it makes it, at least a little less weird.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

^Holy skreeonk that's terrifying. I haven't seen this film but damn Ghidorah, you're even more cold-blooded than I thought.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Big bump incoming.

I love this incarnation of Ghodorah, one of my favorites..but it really feels like Toho also wasted a chance to make another new monster. Like what happened to that fire monster idea they had? Or heck even the idea of making Rodan the villain?

I feel like there was a really big missed opportunity here, even though i feel satisfied with what i have. Is that weird?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

According to several Japanese works, Rodan was the villain in an early story concept for ROM3.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

I am really curious how they would have upgraded Rodan to compete with Leo if they went through with it, though honestly this movie funny enough would have been a good one to use Bagan for as a unique final foe for Leo.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote:I am really curious how they would have upgraded Rodan to compete with Leo if they went through with it, though honestly this movie funny enough would have been a good one to use Bagan for as a unique final foe for Leo.
Bagan was suppose to be in all three ROM films, and he was scrapped. Every. Single. Time. :lol:

As for Rodan, they probably would have given him similar powers to Grand King, minus the whole eat children ordeal. Lasers are certain because..Heisei Era. :P I imagine he would also be pretty big, certainly no puppet like the first Heisei Rodan is.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tyrantgoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:I am really curious how they would have upgraded Rodan to compete with Leo if they went through with it, though honestly this movie funny enough would have been a good one to use Bagan for as a unique final foe for Leo.
Bagan was suppose to be in all three ROM films, and he was scrapped. Every. Single. Time. :lol:

As for Rodan, they probably would have given him similar powers to Grand King, minus the whole eat children ordeal. Lasers are certain because..Heisei Era. :P I imagine he would also be pretty big, certainly no puppet like the first Heisei Rodan is.
Poor Bagan can't get a win with Toho. Though he wins too much in KWC so I guess it balances out XD

DID SOMEBODY ASK FOR LASERS!?
-Toho in the Heisei Era.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

godjacob wrote:
-Toho in the Heisei Era.
Yeah that was them alright. I actually herd a rumor that the guy in charge of the special effects hated the idea of the monsters fighting "like wrestlers". Though if anything that probably damaged the films reputation a bit.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

tyrantgoji wrote:
godjacob wrote:
-Toho in the Heisei Era.
Yeah that was them alright. I actually herd a rumor that the guy in charge of the special effects hated the idea of the monsters fighting "like wrestlers". Though if anything that probably damaged the films reputation a bit.
I don't mind lasers, I do feel flashy explosions and the like can add to the spectacle of it all. But there has to be a balance there, some times where they get up close tooth and claw to clash to or use abilities in unique ways beyond just forward blasts.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

A mix of physical and beam fighting makes it more interesting.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

I can't stand the RoM trilogy, but the one aspect of that series I did always like were the villain kaiju. They were very menacing even if 2/3 of them were recycled in the form of Ghidorah. Having Ghidorah wipe out the dinosaurs and be an ancient destroyer was a unique and interesting take on the tri-headed Hydra.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Omegazilla wrote:I can't stand the RoM trilogy, but the one aspect of that series I did always like were the villain kaiju. They were very menacing even if 2/3 of them were recycled in the form of Ghidorah. Having Ghidorah wipe out the dinosaurs and be an ancient destroyer was a unique and interesting take on the tri-headed Hydra.
It is unique for King Ghidorah. My only issue is that I believe Desghidorah had the exact same (Or close to) backstory in ROM 1. So two Ghidorah being an ancient killer character on top of both being versions of Ghidorah just seems repetitive.

But I do agree they do have some menace to them.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Grand King Ghidorah is what Showa Ghidorah should've stayed post-GTTHM and what MonsterVerse Ghidorah was built up to be but sadly failed to live up to: an uncontrollable, nigh-unstoppable sadistic destroyer of worlds who doesn't give a skreeonk. Grand and Showa are easily my two favorite King Ghidorah incarnations.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Destroying the dinosaurs does add to the story. If he could eliminate one them, then there's no reason he couldn't do it to the next dominant species. GKG is like a reset button for the planet; He removes life, lets another take hold, and then returns to remove that one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

ShinGojira14 wrote:Grand King Ghidorah is what Showa Ghidorah should've stayed post-GTTHM and what MonsterVerse Ghidorah was built up to be but sadly failed to live up to: an uncontrollable, nigh-unstoppable sadistic destroyer of worlds who doesn't give a skreeonk. Grand and Showa are easily my two favorite King Ghidorah incarnations.
His abilities are also very unique and creative. It was shocking seeing it for the first time. Not what one expects from Ghidorah.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Frankly always found it hilarious how Bagan's DNA wound up in a huge chunk of the Heisei era films. And not just Bagan, but other unused concepts. Had they gone through with the original idea of making the rebirth trilogy canonical to the Godzilla Heisei saga (such as DesGhidorah being regenerated from the blown off head of Heisei Ghidorah), I do wonder if GKG would have been soft retconned in as the originator of the First DNA as was once intended.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

ShinGojira14 wrote:Grand King Ghidorah is what Showa Ghidorah should've stayed post-GTTHM and what MonsterVerse Ghidorah was built up to be but sadly failed to live up to: an uncontrollable, nigh-unstoppable sadistic destroyer of worlds who doesn't give a skreeonk. Grand and Showa are easily my two favorite King Ghidorah incarnations.
GKG kidnapped kids and destroyed one city before getting beat up by Mothra. MV Ghidorah wrecked the entire planet and caused Godzilla to fuse with Mothra after getting a previous powerup but MVG needs to look up to GKG?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

miguelnuva wrote:
GKG kidnapped kids and destroyed one city before getting beat up by Mothra. MV Ghidorah wrecked the entire planet and caused Godzilla to fuse with Mothra after getting a previous powerup but MVG needs to look up to GKG?
You seem to be intentionally downplaying GKG. Armor Mothra is no joke.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
You seem to be intentionally downplaying GKG. Armor Mothra is no joke.
Armor Mothra is powerful but GKG didn't do too much in his film. Rather Burning Godzilla could beat Armor Mothra is moot however as I'm comparing simply what the two Ghidorahs did. GKG was very isolated to what MVG did.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

GKG did exactly what was needed for the film he was in. There GKG is a big threat, handling everything Mothra Leo could hit him with. Even the younger version was a challenge, and still partly survived.

MV Ghidorah is a whole other beast and film. It's not after children, but the entire world, so it's going to look more powerful. They are two different versions, just as Toho Godzilla and MV Godzilla are.