Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
three
Keizer

Re: Gamera 3: The Awakening of Irys (1999)

Post by three »

I'm in agreement with 95: Legion is most definitely seen as top notch 'round these parts.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Post by EmperorGhidorah »

Gamera trilogy wipes the floor with pretty much every kaiju movie in existence.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

Julia Bristow
EDF Instructor

Post by Julia Bristow »

^ not really imo, while to me The Gamera trilogy are okay to good kaiju films but they aren't "HOLY SHIT THEY ARE AWWWWWSOOOOMMMMMMMMMEEE"
All Movie snobs can just f off IMO

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Julia Bristow wrote:^ not really imo, while to me The Gamera trilogy are okay to good kaiju films but they aren't "HOLY SHIT THEY ARE AWWWWWSOOOOMMMMMMMMMEEE"
Compared to the majority of kaiju movies out there, yes they are.
"In the Name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished to eternal damnation. Amen."

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Really, I've only found GotU to be above any real standard so far. I'll still need to catch Legion, and not that redneck dub. Ever.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:The film is a tad overrated
I wouldn't say so, not anymore at least. Advent of Legion is the one that gets the most praise.

Really? Who says that Legion gets the most praise?
There was a poll on here and AoL got the most votes.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

20th Century Boy wrote: There was a poll on here and AoL got the most votes.
Wow interesting. Back when the movies came out Legion was seen as the weakest but I guess things change over time.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

G2 is my favorite Gamera film, but G3 has the best visuals. I like both, and I think Gamera 2 and 3 are better than most of the Heisei Godzilla films except Biollante and maybe Godzilla (84). I like G84 a lot; it's probably not a better made film than G2 or G3, but it is a movie that holds a special place for me as it was my first G film.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast

Kaiser
G-Force Personnel

Post by Kaiser »

three wrote:I'm in agreement with 95: Legion is most definitely seen as top notch 'round these parts.
This legitimately surprises me, I thought I was in the minority regarding those that thought Legion was the best Heisei Gamera film.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Kaiser wrote:
three wrote:I'm in agreement with 95: Legion is most definitely seen as top notch 'round these parts.
This legitimately surprises me, I thought I was in the minority regarding those that thought Legion was the best Heisei Gamera film.
nope. i've discussed this a few times, and read ancient posts by the likes of eabaker: Legion is generally considered the #1, or GotU. the third in the line is often counted, well, third in the line, or overrated. before i'd seen these movies, i had no idea what to think, but right now GotU is a football field ahead of Irys, and until i see Legion i can't comment.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

I'm not that surprised, since G2 was always my favorite of the trilogy. G3 is a good movie and an argument can be made for it being better, but IMO G2 was always a more well-rounded film. Yeah, G3 has better FX and attempts to go for some deeper ideas, but G2 is still well-written, well-shot, well-acted, and overall just a fun Sci-Fi Action movie.

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Pkmatrix wrote:I'm not that surprised, since G2 was always my favorite of the trilogy. G3 is a good movie and an argument can be made for it being better, but IMO G2 was always a more well-rounded film. Yeah, G3 has better FX and attempts to go for some deeper ideas, but G2 is still well-written, well-shot, well-acted, and overall just a fun Sci-Fi Action movie.
G3 is definitely shot the best. That entire ending sequence was the best scene in the trilogy.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So I just got the Gamera vs Barugon manga which takes place in between Attack of Legion and Revenge of Iris and it gives more info on the origin of the Gamera and Iris. Apparently Iris was originally intended to be used to destroy the Gyaos but was a failure. Atlantis tried with other designs and new monsters which were Barugon, Jiger, and Zigra, all failed however. It's never stated why they failed either though Zigra being a sea based monster seems like a pretty bad choice to fight Gyaos. Gamera was the last to be created and was the ultimate creation that did it's job and forced the Gyaos into hibernation. I'll post pictures later today if anyone is interested.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Godzillian wrote:So I just got the Gamera vs Barugon manga which takes place in between Attack of Legion and Revenge of Iris and it gives more info on the origin of the Gamera and Iris. Apparently Iris was originally intended to be used to destroy the Gyaos but was a failure. Atlantis tried with other designs and new monsters which were Barugon, Jiger, and Zigra, all failed however. It's never stated why they failed either though Zigra being a sea based monster seems like a pretty bad choice to fight Gyaos. Gamera was the last to be created and was the ultimate creation that did it's job and forced the Gyaos into hibernation. I'll post pictures later today if anyone is interested.
yea, absolutely.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
^^^The Guardian Monsters before Gamera were Iris, Barugon, Zigra, and Jiger
Spoiler:

EmperorGhidorah
Gotengo Officer

Godzillian wrote:SPOILERS (Click to View)/(View All on Page)

SPOILERS (Click to View)/(View All on Page)

SPOILERS (Click to View)/(View All on Page)
It's nice to see some of the gamera showa monsters were given an updated of sorts. I always liked barugon and part of me wishes we got him as the "shadow of evil" of the gamera trilogy instead of gyaos. Still, gyaos was fantastic and I am totally fine with how the trilogy turned out.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Godzillian wrote:...

awesome, thanks!!!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Just finished my second viewing of the final installment in the Gamera trilogy, the first time I've seen it in several years. First of all, this film boasts some of the best special effects ever presented in a kaiju film. The battle between Gamera and two Gyaos was amazing, especially when one goes back and compares it to the work in Guardian of the Universe. The final battle was also well done, however, I would have preferred a little more physicality between Gamera and Iris during the second half of the fight. Gamera and Gyaos' new designs look spectacular. On the other hand, Iris is probably the least interesting monster of the trilogy. He looks too fake.

The build-up was enjoyable, it was good to see the human characters from the first film again, and the expansion of Gamera's background and the mythology backdrop was a nice addition. Unfortunately, the story loses its way shortly after Hagamine and the inspector's reunion. Ayana being kidnapped added little to the story and hurts the pacing. Asakura and Kurata were negatives; they are given too much attention and undermine the film. Things don't pick up again until the beginning of the final battle. Also, Moribe should have had more to do in the end. A considerable amount of screen time was devoted to him and I don't really feel it was worth it seeing how little he does. He could have taken Akagi and Hagamine's place in trying to revive Ayana or something. He's just kind of there.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I think it's a very good Kaiju film. As others have said, the special effects are just absolutely top-notch, and the Hyper Gyaos are one of my favorite Kaiju designs. Iris also has a very unique design, and I, personally, would place it above most of the Godzilla installments. It's my favorite of the Gamera films, though I haven't seen Advent of Legion, so who knows, maybe it pales in comparison to its predecessor.

GodzillaFan1992
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaFan1992 »

1tisoygoji wrote:As much as I love the trilogy, I find the all of the movies overrated.
Are they great kaiju movies? Hell yeah.
Are they THE BEST kaiju movies? No.
I disagree, name me one Kaiju movie that is better? One! Honestly the trilogy is on par with the original Godzilla IMO, it's how a giant Kaiju movie is suppose to be done.