Godzilla: The Animated Series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

What are your thoughts?

LOVE IT
36%
Like it
42%
Neutral
11%
Dislike it
5%
ARRRGHH SKREEENK GINO
6%

Total votes: 194

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Re: Godzilla: The Animated Series

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Been rewatching episodes on Netflix myself, enjoying it a lot, as cheesy as it is sometimes.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Saansilt wrote:Good ole realiable netty.
For a cartonn, this is kinda techy. I mean the science is presented, as our team are science heros. Its an interesting layer.
And they handle everything fairly mature for a kids saturday morning cartoon.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

I liked it and I HATED GINO. Sure Zilla Jr. looks nothing like Godzilla but at least he has some of Godzilla's key characteristics and that counts more than anything. I loved the retro Showa throwback the show normally had and it had some cool villians. Despite looking nothing like the original Godzilla, as far am I am concerned, Toonzilla is a worthy Godzilla incarnation.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I thought the Crackler was a really neat enemy. My marathon on Netflix is the first time I'm watching the whole series. I've only ever seen a dozen or so episodes, but i always liked the series. So the Crackler was all new to me. Very creative monster.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Saansilt wrote:Dragmas are probaldly Destroyah/Space Godzilla level power

That's utterly laughable.

Show was pretty good, really liked it. Wish it got an ending. And a finalized toy line...
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

gzilla46
Futurian

Post by gzilla46 »

Omegazilla wrote:I liked it and I HATED GINO. Sure Zilla Jr. looks nothing like Godzilla but at least he has some of Godzilla's key characteristics and that counts more than anything. I loved the retro Showa throwback the show normally had and it had some cool villians. Despite looking nothing like the original Godzilla, as far am I am concerned, Toonzilla is a worthy Godzilla incarnation.
I couldn't agree with you more. It may actually be the only Zilla that will ever be worthy of the name Godzilla.
Shadow Arena Records:

Wins: 1
Losses: 0

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Saansilt wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:

I disagree. Completely.
These monsters are Toho scale.
Not really. They stand up to standard military weapons pretty well which is something that isn't all that unique to toho kaiju. The only weapons that really hurt them were those laser guns they used which isn't that different from Gaira being hurt by the mazer cannons. They beat all the other mutations which include Godzilla (of this series), C-rex, King Cobra, and that giant bat. While each fairly strong they are easily outclassed by toho kaiju. At best the Dragmas are probably on a strength level similar to the gargantuas and wouldn't give the Toho Godzilla any trouble.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Saansilt wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:

I disagree. Completely.
These monsters are Toho scale.
Because they can tolerate military fire they're all of a sudden on the same tier as Spacegodzilla and Destoroyah? The two strongest monsters in the entire series? That's a joke. If anything they're on par with something like Anguirus or Rodan.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Because there were literally hundreds of them? Even the strongest Godzilla would get killed by a big enough group of kaiju. Having numbers is an advantage sure, but it doesn't make them uber powerful. I doubt a single DRAGMA would even be considered the strongest GTS enemy.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

GojirO
G-Force Personnel

Post by GojirO »

I watched bits and pieces if the series and now that I bought the series on dvd.. I like it but I still see the monster only as GINO
Rest in Peace Victoria

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

He could've become a main villian easily. He showed the will and ability to use monsters for his own agenda.

I don't think the series would have used Toho kaiju for the series. The monsters Godzilla fought were mainly big animals, but a number of them were creative and interesting creatures. It gave them a free hand in creating their own unique kaiju.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

As much as I like G98 this series really is so much more amazing than any live action G98 sequel could have been. The makers of this series GOT IT completely and utterly!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Wish they did more with Monster Island and the monsters they had locked up there. It would have been fun to see Godzilla, C-rex, and the Bat team up on one super monster.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

After being very disappointed in the movie, I was pleasantly surprised at how good the animated series turned out to be. The animated series not only improved on the Tristar design, but also expanded the cast and made all of the characters more nuanced and likable. The episodes were all varied and interesting, with each one like a well-made 20 minute monster movie. Much like Batman the Animated series, it was a cartoon show that was far better written and more intelligent than the live-action movie counterparts of the time.

The series could have easily continued; although the show was designed to be episodic, certain plot threads did develop over the course of the series' run. The relationship between Dr. Elsie Chapman and Dr. Mendel Craven, the threat of the villainous Cameron Winter and the Leviathan Aliens, etc. The way certain characters, like Dale, Bill and Hank and Major Anthony Hicks, would be re-used in different stories was also clever and presented a lot of opportunities to expand the story further. For what it was though, the series was solidly entertaining and didn't outstay its welcome.

To me, the funniest thing in the show as N.I.G.E.L., a robot who 'dies' in almost every episode, usually while screaming. Despite the fact that it's a robot and can easily be replaced, Dr. Craven would always react to N.I.G.E.L.'s destruction as if he'd just seen his parents get killed. It was great.

I kind of hope that the Legendary series has a cartoon similar to this one; it would open up all kinds of possibilities.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:It was so WEIRD, cause it was such a long time ago. I remember they'd brief you by showing us clips of the show, and treat it like we were trying to bring the monsters down. I'd swear I remember shooting at Crustaceous Rex, but it was about fifteen years ago that I was at this place. Wish I remember where it was, or what it was called.

EDIT: HOLY FREAKING CRAP, I FOUND IT. DISCOVERY ZONE! http://forgottenadvertisements.wordpres ... /godzilla/
This piqued my interest, so I did a little looking, and found this: http://youtu.be/JEUqiCzpGx0

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

While I don't think the Dragmas were up there strength wise with such Heisei kaiju as Spcegodzilla and Godzilla predator Destroyah. Although the power levels on the Heisei Kaiju were quite up there, and would give any one, or even a group of Showa monsters a run for their money. The Dragma, with their engineered regeneration abilities, and the ability to adapt to attacks. The latter never really elaborated on. Could've meant they could be smart , wiley enough not to fall for the same attack against them. Plan, strategize attacks on their opponents. Or else, like the X-Men's Sentinels, or Star Trek's Borg, once hit with something that could do them harm. Heal quickly from said injury ,and in the process, bones, exo-skeleton could have been engineered by Doctor Insley, to strengthen adapt to prevent said injury from occurring again. As it was stated by Hicks in the future, they made quick work of the residents of Monster Island when future Hicks sicced them on the Dragmas, along with Godzilla being taken down eventually. So allowed to run rampant, the Dragmas could maybe become a threat to Heisei Godzilla at some point.

I have some questions in regards to the one episode of the show Web Site, in which the H.E.A.T. team was called to access the situation in regards to a military installation being menaced by mutant spiders which ranged in size from dinner plates, to cows, to a queen spider more massive than Godzilla himself. Throughout the episode the President(who personally contacted the H.E.A.T. Team) to Major Anthony Hicks, always made a point of in stating in no uncertain terms how important the installation was to the security of the United States. And surprise , surprise, these Black Widow mutants show up at this facility. With guys like Cameron Winter ,and Hicks' buddy from the Air Force talking, and pursuing the next age of warfare with mutations. I wondered watching the episode was the Black Widow and brethren themselves were either a genetically engineered creature planted there by either a rogue, or rival nation looking to damage the U.S.'s defensive capability. A terrorist group looking to accomplish the same thing. Or even eco-terrorists like S.C.A.L.E. seeing the military's precence being damaging to the welfare of the environment. Or else some weird turn in nature, and the Black Widow could've been something that's popped up before in history. And like the Seventeen Year Cicadas, hatch every couple of centuries ,and way before people showed up on the island. Thoughts anybody ?
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Sparkzilla14
Samurai

Post by Sparkzilla14 »

I prefer the Hanna Barbara Godzilla. I typically ignore Godzooky when I watch the episodes
G-Fan since age 3. First G movies (Godzilla vs Sea Monster/Godzilla vs Gigan)

Top 6 Favorite G films: Terror of MechaGodzilla, Godzilla 1984/1985, Godzilla vs Sea Monster, Godzilla 2000, Godzilla vs Gigan Godzilla 2014
Other Fav Toho Films: War of the Gargantuas and Rodan

Favorite G suit(s): MegaroGoji 1975 version and BioGoji KG version

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Well, just a couple of days ago, I saw the complete series at Walmart for $9.50, I'm not a fan of GINO, but I decided to pick it up anyway...
After watching it, it's not AS bad as I thought it'd be, to be honest. But after seeing all the various mutants that make their appearance, has anyone noticed a majority of them have roars very similar to Orga's US roar?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

KaijuDuke
G-Force Personnel

Post by KaijuDuke »

While I don't like GINO in the slightest, and I don't think the animated version of him ultimately succeeded in fully living up to the Big G's legacy, I will admit the cartoon at least tried to do Godzilla justice and make GINO seem more like the actual Godzilla, including giving him his heat ray back & what not. The show honestly is entertaining, though I watch it more for the original monsters they introduced then GINO himself...I'd love to see the 2014 Godzilla throw down with the likes of Crustaceous Rex, The Crackler, Ts-eh-Go, Cryptoclidus, & the Lizard Slayers (give Godzilla more robots to throw down with besides MechaG over & over again lol). Granted, a few too many of the monsters were given rather lackluster names unfortunately, but the few that did have proper names were pretty memorable, & even a few who lacked good kaiju names were still very well designed or had interesting abilities.

They should totally make a new animated Godzilla series, produced by either Legendary or Toho, doesn't matter, just needs to happen lol.

P.S. anyone know if Ts-eh-Go really is the Navajo word for scorpion? I'm not an expert on the language & google search wasn't as helpful for me as I thought it would be lol.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

KaijuDuke wrote: P.S. anyone know if Ts-eh-Go really is the Navajo word for scorpion? I'm not an expert on the language & google search wasn't as helpful for me as I thought it would be lol.
You're spelling it wrong, but seigo really does translate into scorpion.
https://en.glosbe.com/en/nv/scorpion
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.