Favorite Gamera Suit out of the Trilogy?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Pick one.

G1 version
9%
G2 version
33%
G3 version
58%

Total votes: 76

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Favorite Gamera Suit out of the Trilogy?

Post by Dillyziller »

Gamera 1

Gamera 2

Gamera 3
^This post in sexually offensive.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Favorite Gamera Suit out of the Trilogy?

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G3 easy, not only for the design but just the overall execution of the suit.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

20th Century Boy
Futurian

Post by 20th Century Boy »

As much as I love the G1 and G3 suits, the former is too cute to fit the context of any other movie and the latter is too extreme to fit in any other movie. The G2 suit is a nice balance between the two and I wouldn't mind if every Gamera movie used it.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

20th Century Boy wrote:As much as I love the G1 and G3 suits, the former is too cute to fit the context of any other movie and the latter is too extreme to fit in any other movie. The G2 suit is a nice balance between the two and I wouldn't mind if every Gamera movie used it.
This is almost exactly what I was going to post. The Heisei Gamera trilogy is a three bears affair if there ever was one, and Advent of Legion is just right in almost every regard.
bleep bloop

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Legionmaster wrote:
20th Century Boy wrote:As much as I love the G1 and G3 suits, the former is too cute to fit the context of any other movie and the latter is too extreme to fit in any other movie. The G2 suit is a nice balance between the two and I wouldn't mind if every Gamera movie used it.
This is almost exactly what I was going to post. The Heisei Gamera trilogy is a three bears affair if there ever was one, and Advent of Legion is just right in almost every regard.

Agreed. Voted for the 96 design.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I like all of them. I like to think that the diffrent look of each suit is to depict his age/experince (probably intentional). In GGOTU he looks rather young but by G3 he looks like a badass, seasoned veteran. The animatronics for the suit's head/neck looked really jarring and unnatural in G2, but the suit itself strikes a nice balance between then "young" Gamera from GGOTU and the "Veteran" Gamera from G3.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

20th Century Boy wrote:...the latter is too extreme...
That's why I picked G3. I like my kaiju fierce! :twisted: Though G2 is definitely my second.

EDIT: On second thought, I pick G2. The arms and shell are so massive on G3, it makes the head look kinda tiny. :lol:
I wish I can change my vote. :(

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

While I agree that the G2 suit has a Three Bears just right quality that makes it applicable to a broader range of movies, I prefer to judge the suit based on the context it was used. For me, the G1 is perfect for its context, the G3 is perfect for its context, and the G2 is appropriate for its context, but doesn't significantly reflect anything about the tone of the movie. I can't really vote for any of them, as each is wonderful in its own way, but ultimately what I'd be facing would be a tie between 1 and 3.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

WebHead
Monsterland Worker

Post by WebHead »

I voted for G2 because I felt like it struck a nice balance between the 3 suits, basically all the reasons people voted for it are why I did too.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:and the G2 is appropriate for its context, but doesn't significantly reflect anything about the tone of the movie.
I find it to be a Gamera look that is friendly, but not endearing; ferocious, but not terrifying. It plays in that ambivalent space reflective of how the characters in the film treat Gamera. Is he our ally? Should we fire missiles at him? How are we, as a species, supposed to feel or react to such a being?
bleep bloop

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

G3, because the fierceness, the power, the sheer awesomeness. This version of Gamera is by far the most awesome look I could ever see in a giant turtle. G2 comes in second because he's not as badass as G3, but better than G1.
But if you ever wanted a monster to look as evil as the villain but yet being the good guy. This is the result...
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Here's another comparison between G1 and G2. I know there revoltech figures but there very movie accurate.

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

eabaker wrote:While I agree that the G2 suit has a Three Bears just right quality that makes it applicable to a broader range of movies, I prefer to judge the suit based on the context it was used. For me, the G1 is perfect for its context, the G3 is perfect for its context, and the G2 is appropriate for its context, but doesn't significantly reflect anything about the tone of the movie. I can't really vote for any of them, as each is wonderful in its own way, but ultimately what I'd be facing would be a tie between 1 and 3.
I think G2's suit just captures that perfect balance of what Gamera is supposed to be as a character. A monster that's a good guy, that protects children, but always just has a hint of fierceness about him (see the 66 suit).

It's great that each suit fits perfectly with the movie they're in, but if we were to see a "Continuing Adventures of Gamera series" I'd have to go with the G2 suit myself...though I could see arguments being made for the GOTU suit as well. As a teen my favorite suit was the 99 suit, but the older I get, the more I see that as kind of a one off. That's about as dark, and as terifying as Gamera should get, and it should not be the status quo.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I like the second look the best. While the 3rd one is really cool I never got or really liked all those fingers or claws or whatever those things running down his arm are. G1 I like too its a nice update for the classic look.

Plexton
EDF Instructor

Post by Plexton »

As others have said, there is something likable and appropriate about each suit; that being said, I think on a technical and artistic level, the G3 suit is my favourite; it's genuinely realistic and imposing, but it's still clearly Gamera and it works brilliantly for the film.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

G1 all the way. The way it attracts you toward its character.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

goji89 wrote:G1 all the way. The way it attracts you toward its character.
So you're saying you're attracted to a young, infantile Gamera. I think a call to the police is in order.
bleep bloop

Godzilla628
G-Grasper

Post by Godzilla628 »

I picked G3. The suit just looked flawless on screen. They executed it perfectly. It fit the movie so well too.

Huan_of_Valinor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Huan_of_Valinor »

godzilla628 wrote:I picked G3. The suit just looked flawless on screen. They executed it perfectly. It fit the movie so well too.
this. I have a hard time telling where the CGI enhancements are on that suit. it nearly rivals Jurassic Park. and out of the three, the G3 suit left the biggest impression on me.
Gojirawars 03 wrote: The Giant Condor is a blessing upon this Earth, however. He's easily the most important and most powerful kaiju in the franchise. so powerful that Godzilla is helpless against his power, and pleads for mercy, which the gracious Condor grants him. I mean, even the editor wasn't able to show a single shot of the Condor onscreen for more than half a second, because no-one can handle that much sheer power for more than a second.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

G2, again awesome balance between the movies but a really really close second is G3.

And certainly not hating the first design either it was basically tweaking the classic look but adding bad ass and fuctional effects to it but still looks cute at certain angels.