GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: GODZILLA: Tristar Godzilla Film (1998)

Post by Terasawa »

Ben Shapiro wrote:I don’t think anything past the first half of the movie was particularly good. The movie starts out decent enough but quickly turns to trash the second Godzilla reaches New York.
Largely how I feel except that I’d say the first “quarter” of the movie is passable at best. But yes, once the monster appears in NYC it becomes a heap of trash.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Wouldn't surprise me if this was posted before. But with all the mentions of the taxi cab chase. The Samuel L. Jackson Taxi bit from the 1998 MTV Movie Awards. Back when MTV was still a thing.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

^^^ That spoof was funnier then the entire movie, that makes me wish Samuel L Jackson and Christopher Lloyd were both cast in 1998 movie.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:^^^ That spoof was funnier then the entire movie, that makes me wish Samuel L Jackson and Christopher Lloyd were both cast in 1998 movie.
No need to waste talent on trash now
Facts don't care about your feelings

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Dr. Professor wrote:The taxi scene is such a step down from the previous action sequences in the film.
The previous action scenes weren't even that good to begin with. He literally just runs away constantly while the woefully inept military keeps missing him because, yeah, hitting a friggin' skyscraper-sized iguana is like the hardest job in the world. :lol:

Rich of RLM said it best in their Half in the Bag: G98 vs. G14 vid (@ 16:37): "the 2014 movie has its issues, but what it needed to get right, it got absolutely right. This (G98) doesn't get anything right."

Last edited by KManX89 on Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Never bought the argument "if this movie wasn't called Godzilla it would be great!!!" No, it would still be a terrible movie.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzillian wrote:Never bought the argument "if this movie wasn't called Godzilla it would be great!!!" No, it would still be a terrible movie.
Yeah, that's always been a pet peeve of mine. "It's a good giant monster movie, just a terrible Godzilla movie", boy you must have really low standards for giant monster movies if you think that.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

UltramanGoji wrote: Yeah, that's always been a pet peeve of mine. "It's a good giant monster movie, just a terrible Godzilla movie", boy you must have really low standards for giant monster movies if you think that.
It's Godzilla fans saying that in the first place....
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Hey guys just rewatched Godzilla 98.

I'll start with some positive things about this movie. I really enjoy seeing some practical effects being used for landmark buildings in New York being destroyed. The same thing in a movie today would always be done with CGI now so it's quite cool to go back and see them being done this way. Also the David Arnold score is actually really good.

We all know a lot of the bad things about this movie but ones that stand out is the concept of a 200ft tall lizard going to a heavily populated city like New York for the purpose of trying to hide. Matthew Broderick's character literally has a scene where he says Manhattan is the perfect place for a building sized dinosaur to hide. What the hell? You also have the part where Godzilla can outrun Military Helicopters but later on can't catch up with a Yellow Taxi.

Bizarre.
And the part where a 200+ foot tall iguana can apparently fit inside a sewer system (yeah fucking right), yet it couldn't fit through a tunnel. And the part where human pregnancy tests work on a friggin' mutated iguana, oh and the pharmacy that sold them was apparently open after a giant monster was just running through the city, what are the odds? :lol: Oh, and did I forget to mention the military aren't smart enough to fly above the buildings and can't hit something the size of a skyscraper? That was also covered in the RLM vid.

I can keep going, but yeah, the evidence is quite clear. It's not just a bad Godzilla movie, but bad movie, period. Even if it weren't called Godzilla, it would still be a terribly-acted, poorly-paced, terribly-shot, sloppily-edited, badly-written, inconsistently-toned, plot hole-filled mess of a movie like most Roland Emmerich films. The action scenes are nothing special, either, not even close to making up for all its flaws.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

I had a random idea that might have made the film at least a little bit better-The ending (or a post credit scene) shows (God)Zilla's body being carted away via helicopters, all strung up in canvases and crap and being transported to a top secret military base where they can dissect the big bastard and see what made him tick. They get him onto this big ass table and call in for industrial machinery to perform the autopsy/dissection in the morning as everyone files out for the day....and then Godzilla's eye opens to show he's not quite dead before the screen cuts to black, his roar overlaying the screen.

Basically Godzilla fakes his own death again, which wouldn't be too hard seeing as he'd (A) Already done it with the two torpedoes, and (B) The wounds weren't that deep. That, and it can't be that easy to feel a heartbeat beneath thousands of pounds of scaly muscle and tissue without some serious equipment (and many animals can lessen their heartbeat to be next to nothing, Reptiles often entering torpor when stressed or cold which is a similar state metabolically speaking).
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I don't think he faked his death with the torpedoes. They legitimately knocked him out, but he was able to recover and slip away before the Navy could find him.

Also, so what if he does wake up? If it is a military installation, I'm sure they have a few rocket launchers and machine guns around. In his half-dead state (and he had to be at least half-dead; you could see the gaping wounds where the missiles hit), that'd probably be enough to put him right back down. :lol:
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

ultrashort123
Young Farmer

Post by ultrashort123 »

Complete Details of Bollywood and Hollywood Movie Box Office Collection Hit and Flop Verdict and other updates. This List Has been updated on 24 March 2019. http://viralmagics.com/box-office-collection/

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think he faked his death with the torpedoes. They legitimately knocked him out, but he was able to recover and slip away before the Navy could find him.
That was one of the many, MANY gaping plot holes in this movie. The fact that they didn't even bother to check the body after putting him down was just stupid as was the fact that he (a 200+ foot tall iguana) could fit in a sewer system, but couldn't fit through a tunnel and was able to outrun choppers, but not a taxi.

JAGzilla wrote:Also, so what if he does wake up? If it is a military installation, I'm sure they have a few rocket launchers and machine guns around. In his half-dead state (and he had to be at least half-dead; you could see the gaping wounds where the missiles hit), that'd probably be enough to put him right back down. :lol:
This. :lol:
Last edited by KManX89 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:27 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

JAGzilla wrote:I don't think he faked his death with the torpedoes. They legitimately knocked him out, but he was able to recover and slip away before the Navy could find him.

Also, so what if he does wake up? If it is a military installation, I'm sure they have a few rocket launchers and machine guns around. In his half-dead state (and he had to be at least half-dead; you could see the gaping wounds where the missiles hit), that'd probably be enough to put him right back down. :lol:
Fair enough, just an idea I had to try and leave the beast a little more 'godlike' in durability. And you could see the wounds, but maybe it's a mix of the lighting and the graphics (as much as I like the CG at times) but they don't look THAT deep. That, and we see him digging through earth pretty fast-maybe when everyone's guard is down he claws through the earth and gets away into the wild blue yonder, with the sequel focusing on Godzilla traversing across the countryside to re-unite with his child. But yeah, plot holes and all that.

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

The older I get the less I hate godzilla 98 maybe its nostalgia softening my brain or maybe its the anime makes alot of the bad goji movies look good. But now I just think of 98 as that so bad its funny movie.

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

xolta wrote:The older I get the less I hate godzilla 98 maybe its nostalgia softening my brain or maybe its the anime makes alot of the bad goji movies look good. But now I just think of 98 as that so bad its funny movie.
I could accept the movie as "so bad it's funny" if the bad moments in this movie (and they're really bad) weren't fucking cringeworthy.

House of the Dead is a "so bad it's funny" movie IMO. You have these petrified teens suddenly turning into kung-fu masters when fighting zombies, even Matrix dodging them? Topped off with some really bad slow-mo bullet time effects and clips from the game that just appear out of nowhere? THAT, I can sit back and laugh at how stupid it is. "That's a lot of fish"? That's not "so stupid it warrants a laugh", that's just pure cringe.

American Godzilla
Monarch Researcher

Post by American Godzilla »

I grew up seeing Godzilla vs Space Godzilla and Godzilla vs Destroyah before seeing the 1998 film. Now I enjoyed the film and creature look. I knew that the monster was not Godzilla as it lacked the abilities and intelligence of Godzilla, but that never stopped me from enjoying an entertaining Monster Movie.

ON a related topic, I found this amazing fan-mad model that is perfectly accurate to the 1998 Godzilla monster! Image
I'm a believe of God and Jesus Christ my saviour and not afraid to say so.
Although I'm not against giving freedom to same-sex couples/marriage (as America is supposed to be free), as a Christian (which the Bible describes as a sin) and me personally I don't care/desire/agree with same sex couples/marriage.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

^ Dem legs.

Sexiest Godzilla design.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

You know, thinking about it, the idea that GINO would go to New York to hide isn't as ludicrous as it might at first sound. Nick might not have meant that he was trying to hide from humans, is all. We're just specieist like that and forget that not everything has to be about us. No, more likely what was meant is that he was hiding his eggs from theoretical predators, an instinct he would presumably have even if no predators actually exist.

It's still stupid in that he shouldn't have known New York existed, though.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Fair, and fair.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!