Can Toho make merch of Stan Winston Godzilla?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Can Toho make merch of Stan Winston Godzilla?

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho seems to be starting to play with more unused monsters like Bagan and Union Mechagodzilla and I was just curious, if they wanted do they own this Godzilla design?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Marciosss
Yojimbo

Re: Can Toho make merch of Stan Winston Godzilla?

Post by Marciosss »

It's complicated. Toho owns rigths to Bagan design due Super Godzilla and Studio Tour. But any other unused design of Bagan is owned by artis who draw it.
In case of Union Mechagodzilla, name is owned by Toho, but some money propably go to artis.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Can Toho make merch of Stan Winston Godzilla?

Post by Gigantis »

Marciosss wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 11:31 am It's complicated. Toho owns rigths to Bagan design due Super Godzilla and Studio Tour. But any other unused design of Bagan is owned by artis who draw it.
In case of Union Mechagodzilla, name is owned by Toho, but some money propably go to artis.
Not to mention, I'm pretty sure any merchandise for Winstonzilla would require Toho making some sort of deal with Stan Winston's estate.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!