Heisei kaiju you'd like to see re-appear

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

Heisei kaiju you'd like to see re-appear

Post by LegendZilla »

Once again coming off of a thread in the Showa section, I have taken the same idea and repurposed it for the Heisei era. Anyways, every now and then I have asked recurring question to those critical of aforementioned era, especially considering its polarizing reception in the west. The question is if any of you think it would be worth it to bring back various Heisei kaiju in future films so that they could be done justice with modern effects. Since I'm a man who believes in second chances, I think it's worth a try for Toho.

I would like to see all of them return, but in particular, my main choices are Biollante and Destoroyah. Nowadays, I think a lot can be done with Biollante. For example, maybe you could give her more than just 2 forms a second time around. As for Destoroyah, it would be a bit tricky, especially since the character is intrinsically linked to the events of G54. What would be your picks to make a comeback and how would you handle them? Anyways, seeing you express your thoughts on this subject.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Heisei kaiju you'd like to see re-appear

Post by Voyager »

Battra. The others are just kinda overrated and I’d rather not see them again.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:12 pm Battra. The others are just kinda overrated and I’d rather not see them again.
Can you explain why? Is it the kaiju themselves? Or do you think they were mired too much bad execution?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:23 pm
Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:12 pm Battra. The others are just kinda overrated and I’d rather not see them again.
Can you explain why? Is it the kaiju themselves? Or do you think they were mired too much bad execution?
1. I do not like SpaceGodzilla as a concept all that much.
2. I think Dessy and Biollante should be one-off monsters.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:11 pm
#1 is understandable. However, I ask why you feel the other two should be best left as one offs? Why would them being recurring kaiju be any different than Mothra or Ghidorah having the honor?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:17 pm

#1 is understandable. However, I ask why you feel the other two should be best left as one offs? Why would them being recurring kaiju be any different than Mothra or Ghidorah having the honor?
They’re not as flexible as kaiju when compared to Mothra and Ghidorah.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:12 pm
LegendZilla wrote: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:17 pm

They’re not as flexible as kaiju when compared to Mothra and Ghidorah.
Any fictional character is only as flexible as the ingenuity of whoever writes them will allow. Plus, the likes of Mothra and Ghidorah need a break.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Red-Death Gigan
Interpol Agent

Post by Red-Death Gigan »

I concur.
... Godzilla lives inside each one of us.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah Battra would be fine.

The others? Nah.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I would like to see Battra again, but also Biollante. Given environmental concerns will likely never go away, Battra can be easily brought back.

As for Biollante, Biollante doesn't require a bioresearch origin. You could have Biollante as some massive mutant plant living in a rainforest, or as an alien flora like the Crynoid in the old Dr. Who serial.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

edgaguirus wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:11 pm I would like to see Battra again, but also Biollante. Given environmental concerns will likely never go away, Battra can be easily brought back.

As for Biollante, Biollante doesn't require a bioresearch origin. You could have Biollante as some massive mutant plant living in a rainforest, or as an alien flora like the Crynoid in the old Dr. Who serial.
Why not bring both back in the same movie? Them along with Mothra, and it will be an environmentalist delight!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

All of them. Battra is my first choice; his Earth-alligned position can make him an interesting wild card character in a world full of greater threats and lesser evils. He's always got to be thinking and prioritizing, weighing the costs and benefits of every battle he gets into. There's not really another kaiju like him.

I used to agree that Biollante could function without her biotechnology origin story, and she definitely can, in a potentially reduced state. The Frankenstein aspects of her were honestly the most striking thing about her, though. Taking away Shiragami and his mad, tragic quest to bring his daughter back would cheapen Biollante. She's not just a big scary plant, she's a party human abomination born from the combination of reckless human emotion and dangerous technology we barely understand.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

shadowgigan wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:15 am Bio and Dessy. No contest.
Co-sign 100%
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

CyberZilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by CyberZilla »

Biollante is my personal pick, and I will admit bias because her movie is one of my all-time favorites. Her storyline is unique and would be cool to see adapted in some modern way. Even a Monsterverse interpretation could be interesting.
“You gave me strength. So did the others. No life is worthless. I believe you now."
Resized Image Resized Image :shingodzillapurple:Resized ImageResized Image:KingGhidorah64: Resized Image :godzilla2021blue: :kingkong1962:

Is your war… finally over?
Resized Image

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Destoroyah is the only original Heisei kaiju that has much potential as a reoccurring villain in the mold of King Ghidorah or Gigan.

Like you almost have to retell Biollante's entire origin story all over again to introduce her into a new film continuity. Destoroyah can exist in any world where the Oxygen Destroyer exists without much set up. You don't need any of the characters from his movie to appear or anything, as long as he embodies the concept of being a monster born from the weapon that killed Godzilla, his essence is unchanged.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GoKelley85
Yojimbo

Post by GoKelley85 »

There is creative gold being left on the table by not bringing back the Heisei Kaiju.

Biollante and Destoroyah are my two big ones I'd love to have back, and I'd like to see Battra as well.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Ivo-goji wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:32 pm, as long as he embodies the concept of being a monster born from the weapon that killed Godzilla, his essence is unchanged.
Which would need a Godzilla to die, which ultimately ties Dessy down to the G54 film.

Yeah.
For Emperor and Empire!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Voyager wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 pm
Ivo-goji wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:32 pm, as long as he embodies the concept of being a monster born from the weapon that killed Godzilla, his essence is unchanged.
Which would need a Godzilla to die, which ultimately ties Dessy down to the G54 film.

Yeah.
Dessy could show up in literally any continuity in which the events of G54 occurred.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:25 pm
Voyager wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:28 pm

Yeah.
Dessy could show up in literally any continuity in which the events of G54 occurred.
That's literally what I said.

New films will have to be tied down to the G54 film.
For Emperor and Empire!