How would you re-write each Heisei film?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
LegendZilla
Sazer

How would you re-write each Heisei film?

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey guys, I was just wondering something. I know that most of you have more than a fare share of gripes with the Heisei series, most notably in the special-effects department. That aside, if you had the opportunity to fix another aspect of said films, that being the scripts, would you do it? If you could, what ways would you write them? The ways you can fix them may range from small, last-minute changes to revamped completely. For me the first two don't need that much fixing, since they're already pretty solid entries. For the 90's films however, I would do the following for each film :

1. Use the original script for GVKG that involved Ghidorah's comatose body being found on Venus. As much as I would like to fix the script for the film we've got, I figured most of you would rather scrap it altogether, so I thought I would go the route you'd prefer. On the downside, without MKG, we won't be able to have Mechagodzilla in the Heisei timeline.
2. Cut the amount of times they address the state of the Earth's environment in GVM in half at least. Instead of ripping of Indiana Jones, have a sequence where Takuya runs from the authorities of whatever country he's in and have a shoot-off ensure.
3. Maybe hint at some kind of connection with the Cosmos and that plant they find along with Baby's egg in GVMG'93. Also, maybe have both Godzilla and Rodan join up and fight against their common foe, that being Mechagodzilla, giving Rodan a reason as to why he'd sacrifice himself to save Godzilla's life.
4. In GVSG, Don't make the yakuza sub-plot come out of left-field halfway through and hint at that one guy having connections from the start. Also don't have Miki come across as petulant as she did in the actual film when expressing concerns over Project T.
5. In GVD, maybe instead of ripping of The Alien movies with the Destoroyahs' mouth-tongues, instead give them elongated, prehensile tongues with barbs at the end. In addition, Miki and Meru could put their psychic powers to good use and maybe use even help out Godzilla (and Junior too maybe) in battle.

Anyways, that's all the ideas I have for now. What would've you done for each film to make them on par with the best of the Showa-era (at least story-wise)?

As always, I will appreciate feedback.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheRealSpinoRex
GPN Volunteer

Re: How would you re-write each Heisei film?

Post by TheRealSpinoRex »

Make SpaceGodzilla and Perfect Form Destoroyah do more than just stand still

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

TheRealSpinoRex wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:16 pm Make SpaceGodzilla and Perfect Form Destoroyah do more than just stand still
I would prefer talking about how to improve the films on a writing level, not technical.

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

My fanfic - Godzilla and Mothra 2.0 - revolved around how I would have re-written that particular film.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

H-Man wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 am My fanfic - Godzilla and Mothra 2.0 - revolved around how I would have re-written that particular film.
Could you please try to sum up the basic jist of how you did things differently?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

LegendZilla wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:13 pm
H-Man wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:40 am My fanfic - Godzilla and Mothra 2.0 - revolved around how I would have re-written that particular film.
Could you please try to sum up the basic jist of how you did things differently?
- Ditch the Cosmos; have Mothra use Miki Saegusa as her conduit;
- Have our heroes discover the weather-changing machine that offended Earth and led to Battra's creation; have Andoh steal *that* instead;
- Have the machine malfunction and create a radioactive storm, which is what attracts Godzilla naturally to it.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

H-Man wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:51 am
- Have our heroes discover the weather-changing machine that offended Earth and led to Battra's creation; have Andoh steal *that* instead;
- Have the machine malfunction and create a radioactive storm, which is what attracts Godzilla naturally to it.
Ah, I see. Anything else to share?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Oct 27, 2021 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MogeGoji1994
Monarch Researcher

Post by MogeGoji1994 »

I like it, so long as we can find a way to keep Mothra's Song in the movie. Also, is Sacred Springs in '92 and Tokyo SOS? Or am I just misremembering and it's only in '64?
Resized Image
You want S.T.A.R.S? I'll give you S.T.A.R.S!
7 minutes. 7 minutes is all I can spare to play with you

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

MogeGoji1994 wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 10:28 am

I like it, so long as we can find a way to keep Mothra's Song in the movie. Also, is Sacred Springs in '92 and Tokyo SOS? Or am I just misremembering and it's only in '64?
Two Mothra songs are cited in my fanfic.

Sacred Springs is in '92. I don't recall it in Tokyo SOS.

Dinoskell
Monsterland Worker

Post by Dinoskell »

I'd add more pathos to monsters. And not cut out the scene of Godzilla trying to free Little Godzilla from the crystal cage.

The dorats to King Ghidorah: what was it like for them? Why were these superpets used? Make use of their telepathic abilities for horror. Perhaps like Marvel's man-thing King Ghidorah is drawn to a negative emotion to destroy them, a perversion of them once being a therapeutic pet.
Spacegodzilla I suggest looking at how parasites alter behavior of hosts by magnifying existing instincts.

For Mechagodzilla: remove pterodactyl guy and focus more on Miki and Azusa Gojo . Either heavily change the fight location, or have G-force made to answer for intentionally luring Godzilla to the city.
Last edited by Dinoskell on Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

G-Force didn't intentionally lure Godzilla to Fukuoka. Rodan took down the helicopter that was carrying Baby to some other location, and Godzilla zeroed in on them before G-Force could do anything. IIRC, anyway.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dinoskell wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 7:38 am Perhaps like Marvel's man-thing King Ghidorah is drawn to a negative emotion to destroy them, a perversion of them once being a therapeutic pet.
That’s an idea I can get around. Even Planet Eater did it and I think Toho should carry on that to future versions of the character.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Return of Godzilla: have Goro Maki apologize to Naoko during their falling in love scene like he does in the manga version and is strongly hinted at in the movie.
Godzilla 1985: keep the estimated casualty numbers scene before the Prime Minister declines the Atomic bomb. While I understand trimming the pace and minimizing the American ambassador scenes (which we just need to cut the 'hes right and no time for principles' lines), the Prime Minister scenes with his staff are good acting scenes.
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla 2: keep the miki and baby scene. The effect is wonky but it does give more character development for miki.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 pm Return of Godzilla: have Goro Maki apologize to Naoko during their falling in love scene like he does in the manga version and is strongly hinted at in the movie.
What would he have to apologize to her over?

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 4:25 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:08 pm Return of Godzilla: have Goro Maki apologize to Naoko during their falling in love scene like he does in the manga version and is strongly hinted at in the movie.
What would he have to apologize to her over?
He mainly told her about Ken's whereabouts in the movie so that he could take pictures and make a big story in the newspaper. After she hugs Ken in the hospital, he takes their picture without telling them or asking permission. When they get reported in the newspaper, she chastises Goro that all he cared about is getting a story for the newspaper he works for instead of sincerely helping her reunite with her brother. In the manga version, their love scene is him crying and apologizing to her for takings their picture and telling her he knows he doesn't deserve forgiveness while Godzilla is chasing them.

This plot element is in the original version only and is cut out in the 1985 American cut.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:43 pm
He mainly told her about Ken's whereabouts in the movie so that he could take pictures and make a big story in the newspaper. After she hugs Ken in the hospital, he takes their picture without telling them or asking permission. When they get reported in the newspaper, she chastises Goro that all he cared about is getting a story for the newspaper he works for instead of sincerely helping her reunite with her brother. In the manga version, their love scene is him crying and apologizing to her for takings their picture and telling her he knows he doesn't deserve forgiveness while Godzilla is chasing them.

This plot element is in the original version only and is cut out in the 1985 American cut.
Based on how you put it, that would've helped A LOT. Would've made Goro more likeable.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:48 pm
darthzilla99 wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:43 pm

Based on how you put it, that would've helped A LOT. Would've made Goro more likeable.
It's not well defined and I think the writer's intent was 'Show, don't tell' in the movie, but Goro is supposed to have a mini character arc of him starting off as a typical underhanded selfish photographer journalist but as he spends more time with Dr. Yashida, Ken, and Naoko he becomes more selfless. After he gets chastised, you see guilt in his facial expression. Finally later after she's crying and panicking about the missile and Godzilla waking up, Goro tries to comfort her and promises to protect her as he's crying himself. In the manga version, he has the above speech plus apology out loud as they are being chased by Godzilla.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I've heard complaints that Emi Kano acted a little borderline flirty around her ancestor and I can see why. I would change it so that she gives Terasawa romantic pep-talk over his relationship with that other woman. I would also have M11 dismember those other androids and instead of killing Shindo for no reason, I'd actually have Godzilla spare him and instead, the former will be a casualty of the climactic battle.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:46 pm, edited 3 times in total.