Lost Project Discussion: Mothra vs. Bagan (1990)/Godzilla 3 (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Lost Project Discussion: Mothra vs. Bagan (1990)/Godzilla 3 (1991)

Post by SonOfGorgo »

Since I couldn't find a thread regarding either project, I thought I might make one about both.

http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room ... _bagan.htm
http://www.tohokingdom.com/cutting_room/godzilla3.html

As much as I don't mind the direction Toho went with instead (King Ghidorah '91 onwards), I would like to see the Bagan direction as intended, it would've cool to see them do another cinematic Godzilla universe, like they did with Rodan '56, Mothra '61, Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster in the Showa era. If successful, this could've spawned other spin-offs featuring old familiar kaiju like Anguirus, Varan, Maguma, Manda, etc. and maybe even some new ones as well.

What are your thoughts? Do you wish they should've gone this approach instead? Or are you fine with what we got instead? Please feel free to express your ideas, thoughts and reasons in the comments below. Thank you.
Still the best, 1955... 8-)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Lost Project Discussion: Mothra vs. Bagan (1990)/Godzilla 3 (1991)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

If they fought in Bangkok, Thailand, im all for it. :)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I absolutely love the idea of a '90s Toho cinematic universe, even more than Mothra vs. Bagan itself. Would've been awesome to see what they could've cooked up for those 4 movies. It's a damn shame it didn't work out.

In any case, the fight scenes described in MvB's draft script sounded incredible. While the human characters are what you would expect from a Heisei era flick, they're more endearing than their copy-pasted Godzilla vs. Mothra counterparts. The tagline for the script says, "Onward to a world featuring fantastic monsters in a thrilling action adventure movie", emphasis being the monsters. Bagan and Mothra (particularly the imago) dominate any scene they're featured in, and feel so much like the true characters of the movie. Honorable mention to the bodyguards of the Shobijin.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:I absolutely love the idea of a '90s Toho cinematic universe, even more than Mothra vs. Bagan itself. Would've been awesome to see what they could've cooked up for those 4 movies. It's a damn shame it didn't work out.

In any case, the fight scenes described in MvB's draft script sounded incredible. While the human characters are what you would expect from a Heisei era flick, they're more endearing than their copy-pasted Godzilla vs. Mothra counterparts. The tagline for the script says, "Onward to a world featuring fantastic monsters in a thrilling action adventure movie", emphasis being the monsters. Bagan and Mothra (particularly the imago) dominate any scene they're featured in, and feel so much like the true characters of the movie. Honorable mention to the bodyguards of the Shobijin.
IKR, the first part of it also feels like a semi-remake of the original 1961 Mothra.
What are your ideas for these 4 films?
Where did you get the tagline from anyway?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SonOfGorgo wrote:IKR, the first part of it also feels like a semi-remake of the original 1961 Mothra.
What are your ideas for these 4 films?
Where did you get the tagline from anyway?
Couldn't really tell you what I'd have for ideas for any of the films, other than I'd hope they'd introduce more and more monsters as they went along, like Rodan, Anguirus, and the like.

As for the tagline, it's a rough translation from the MvB script:
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

SonOfGorgo
G-Grasper

Post by SonOfGorgo »

GigaBowserG wrote:Couldn't really tell you what I'd have for ideas for any of the films, other than I'd hope they'd introduce more and more monsters as they went along, like Rodan, Anguirus, and the like.

As for the tagline, it's a rough translation from the MvB script:
Oh, right. The more you know. ;)

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

/crawls back under rock

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Probably the only Bagan projects that interest me besides the ROG draft. Shame it never came out, would have been much better then Godzilla vs Mothra

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Reading over the script it’s crazy how much 1992 recycled this. Bagan was just replaced by Battra and Bagan.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Reading over the script it’s crazy how much 1992 recycled this. Bagan was just replaced by Battra and Bagan.
I think the screenwriter Omori needed to pump out a script very quickly, so he decided just to reuse this one. What would usually take a month or two of writing, ended up only taking like 2 weeks to complete.
/crawls back under rock

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Wasn't Bagan supposed to be a corrupted Chinese nature god or am I remembering things wrong?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:Wasn't Bagan supposed to be a corrupted Chinese nature god or am I remembering things wrong?
I think that may've been part of the old description on the main site? It's also on Rodan's Roost, which as been around for the longest time. It may've been a mistranslation; Mothra was the forest-protecting god, while Bagan was the "god of darkness" hellbent on destroying everything.
/crawls back under rock

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Out of all the projects that Bagan was going to be in, Mothra vs Bagan is the one that interests me the most. It's a shame that Godzilla vs Biollante's box office disappointment led to the cancellation of the film.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This movie should've been made instead of the ROM trilogy or at the very least, Bagan should've been used in this form.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Also, I can't tell where the heck Bagan's wings connect to his body.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 5:06 pm Also, I can't tell where the heck Bagan's wings connect to his body.
They're connected to his arms! It's quite an unusual placement. (ref1) (ref2)

I'd say closest comparison is Jyarumu from Godzilla Trading Battle.

/crawls back under rock

Lesko
GPN Volunteer

Post by Lesko »

Wow Godzilla 3 in particular sounds amazing! It sounds much better than the horribly paced GvKG plot and way better than GvM. This essentially would have given the Heisei series it's own arch villain. Rather than Ghidorah like the Showa series we would have Bagan instead, but unlike Ghidorah actually get a layered story about it's existence and why it does what it does rather than just flying around space being mind controlled by aliens because reasons. Tying Godzilla and Mothra together in the same universe without that cheap crossover from 92 would only enhance it for sure. It is just a shame we didn't get these because it would probably have propelled the Heisei series to new heights and possibilities.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

While its a long shot I'd love if Mothra Vs. Bagan was given an animated adaptation similar to Singular Point it could be a direct adaptation of the original script or just take the idea and run with it. Though if they do an adaptation of the script they could tie it into a Heisei anniversary

I think it would be really cool

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu